Options for Compounds with a 38R

DocBar

Reaction score
Stay the course....you've got.a motor built to handle the compounds.

Waiting on Pius to tell me the turbo's are ready. Everything else is in place on my end. I can't wait to see the difference between a 38R and matched compounds pulling a 12K# 5er into a 15-25 mph head wind. It certainly can't be any worse than I just experienced. Going from Las Cruces, NM to El Centro, Ca. was a challenge in the face of the aforementioned head winds. EGT's, RPM's and trans temps were all a challenge in 108* heat. For the 1st time I really wish I'd had a water/meth set up.

DocBar

Reaction score
Wow. Does it normally take 6+months to get turbo's from Pius?

That just seems ridiculous to me. I would be looking for a different primary charger....
I have no idea how long it takes to get a standard charger from Pius. The one I'm using for the LP uses a new bearing cartridge that requires machining of the housings and the cartridge is made in smallish batches in the UK.

I also sent my GQSSB into him to be modified with the latest and greatest innards. :priest:

JDub

Reaction score

That just seems ridiculous to me. I would be looking for a different primary charger....

Pius is a 75 year old one man show and the diesel performance market probably makes up less than 5% of his business. He's got loyalties to customers he's been building turbos for since the 70s, so one off custom stuff always takes time. If you can wait for him, he'll tell you to go elsewhere.

Sent from my XT907

backwoodsboy

Reaction score

Getting a turbo from Pius is like getting a gummer from Olivia Wilde...if you're lucky enough to be getting one you don't complain about how long it takes.
Although I've never experienced either first hand, so that could all be hearsay :priest:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I have no idea how long it takes to get a standard charger from Pius. The one I'm using for the LP uses a new bearing cartridge that requires machining of the housings and the cartridge is made in smallish batches in the UK.

I also sent my GQSSB into him to be modified with the latest and greatest innards. :priest:

I guess if you knew in advance that it would take plenty of time then thats ok IMHO, as long as you were advised or made aware.

Unlike some vendors who hold on to your $$ for weeks or months and the products is nowhere in sight but PSD is one of their primary platforms and they say they have the products then its, wait, and wait and wait and wait...

I had to deal w/ a few where that happened. vendor: oh sure, its in stock on the shelf ready to go.. me: heres my $$.. 3 wks later... me: dude? wheres my order???? vendor: Oh, yeah its not in stock, i misunderstood... It will be a few more weeks...

I hear nothing but God speak about him, if he is truely a 75 yoa one man show and your waiting on some small batch/one off parts from the UK then I guess it could take some time. Judging by the way the 7.3 WOP performed someone knew turbos well so I'd venture from all I've read, if you're willing to wait and it turns out like you want it then all is good :thumbsup:

You mind divulging your cost for the new custom turbo?

DocBar

Reaction score
I guess if you knew in advance that it would take plenty of time then thats ok IMHO, as long as you were advised or made aware.

Unlike some vendors who hold on to your $$ for weeks or months and the products is nowhere in sight but PSD is one of their primary platforms and they say they have the products then its, wait, and wait and wait and wait...

I had to deal w/ a few where that happened. vendor: oh sure, its in stock on the shelf ready to go.. me: heres my $$.. 3 wks later... me: dude? wheres my order???? vendor: Oh, yeah its not in stock, i misunderstood... It will be a few more weeks...

I hear nothing but God speak about him, if he is truely a 75 yoa one man show and your waiting on some small batch/one off parts from the UK then I guess it could take some time. Judging by the way the 7.3 WOP performed someone knew turbos well so I'd venture from all I've read, if you're willing to wait and it turns out like you want it then all is good :thumbsup:

You mind divulging your cost for the new custom turbo?
I didn't know it was going to take this long (Pius and I have been discussing this for about a year now) but I did know that it would be a lengthy process. I'm basically copying one of the most successful 7.3 compound set ups out there, and my truck isn't down and waiting on parts or anything, so I can manage to wait. Even if I do get a bit aggravated from time to time. Pius and I haven't talked price yet. I honestly have no clue what the new LP is going to cost or the reworked GQSSB, for that matter. Not trying to sound snotty, but I really don't care. I can pay for a properly matched pair or pay for multiple turbos trying to find a good match. I'd rather spend the money just once.

:rockon:

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I didn't know it was going to take this long (Pius and I have been discussing this for about a year now) but I did know that it would be a lengthy process. I'm basically copying one of the most successful 7.3 compound set ups out there, and my truck isn't down and waiting on parts or anything, so I can manage to wait. Even if I do get a bit aggravated from time to time. Pius and I haven't talked price yet. I honestly have no clue what the new LP is going to cost or the reworked GQSSB, for that matter. Not trying to sound snotty, but I really don't care. I can pay for a properly matched pair or pay for multiple turbos trying to find a good match. I'd rather spend the money just once.

:rockon:

Amen to that!
I'm selling my 08, want to rid myself of payments and I"ll cash buy a 7.3. I can work on it and it would be paid for all in one fell-swoop. I learned my lesson last time I tried to "upgrade" and every part I ordered from vendors here was "in stock" but parts of each order or the whole order was on "back-order". I cancelled w/ two vendors and went w/ a non-vendor I found online and got the same exact parts in 3 days time at a lower price:thumbup:
But now I've been talking w/ Dave so I can get everything done right the 1st time and be done w/ it when I do the 7.3.

At least you're not down and you're right, I hear he's the bee's-knee's. You'll be happy when its all said and done.

Good luck, i'd like to see that when you get it installed.

DocBar

Reaction score
Amen to that!
I'm selling my 08, want to rid myself of payments and I"ll cash buy a 7.3. I can work on it and it would be paid for all in one fell-swoop. I learned my lesson last time I tried to "upgrade" and every part I ordered from vendors here was "in stock" but parts of each order or the whole order was on "back-order". I cancelled w/ two vendors and went w/ a non-vendor I found online and got the same exact parts in 3 days time at a lower price:thumbup:
But now I've been talking w/ Dave so I can get everything done right the 1st time and be done w/ it when I do the 7.3.

At least you're not down and you're right, I hear he's the bee's-knee's. You'll be happy when its all said and done.

Good luck, i'd like to see that when you get it installed.
I'm sure I'll be posting some runs at the strip and dyno #'s once it's all installed. I'm hoping to hit high 600's-low 700's on fuel and spray it up to 1K. I'm really thinking about going to electric fans. That would probably give me the bump I need to get to where I want to be. I just want some more input from Vanderchevy before I invest the $$ for the fans. He seems to like them so far. I'd like to see how they do in the Kansas heat with a load on them, though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be posting some runs at the strip and dyno #'s once it's all installed. I'm hoping to hit high 600's-low 700's on fuel and spray it up to 1K. I'm really thinking about going to electric fans. That would probably give me the bump I need to get to where I want to be. I just want some more input from Vanderchevy before I invest the $$ for the fans. He seems to like them so far. I'd like to see how they do in the Kansas heat with a load on them, though.

Would they not work.better when you opted for them to.run. I certainly would.think.so.

DocBar

Reaction score
Would they not work.better when you opted for them to.run. I certainly would.think.so.
If you're talking about the electric fans, there's much conjecture about that. Most of what I've researched has been negative towards the electric fans. The stock fan moves a huge amount of air. The electric ones don't seem to move as much, under load and in hot conditions. I have to pull a 12,500# 5er from job to job. My truck really struggled last week pulling that trailer from Las Cruces, NM to El Centro, Ca. in a 15-25mph headwind and 100+ degree heat. I'm doubtful that electric fans would do better unless the extra available HP was the difference. Just don't see it, though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Are you sure your fan clutch is working.correctly? Im sure thats a taxing set of conditions but doesnt.seem to.bad as mine doing something similar in 95+ and humid never even got hotter than normal operating temps. Thats with a crappy oil.cooler.

DocBar

Reaction score
Are you sure your fan clutch is working.correctly? Im sure thats a taxing set of conditions but doesnt.seem to.bad as mine doing something similar in 95+ and humid never even got hotter than normal operating temps. Thats with a crappy oil.cooler.
DI replaced my fan clutch when they installed my BTS, so I sure hope it's working right. Don't discount the effects of a 15 mph headwind. That will play hell with your EGT's and trans temps when pulling a trailer.

The effed up part is that I lost 4500' of elevation but seemed to be going uphill the whole way. That's visual perception as well as watching the gauges. I also have a pinhole leak in my water pump gasket but I keep a close eye on the coolant level. The water pump is getting replaced this week.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What do you have for a thermostat in you pickup Doc? If you could go lower that would help you out a little to. The lower the temps it take to open the cooler it will run. I am going to be putting a 185 in my pickup as soon as i get it. The 203 I have now is not cutting it.

DocBar

Reaction score
What do you have for a thermostat in you pickup Doc? If you could go lower that would help you out a little to. The lower the temps it take to open the cooler it will run. I am going to be putting a 185 in my pickup as soon as i get it. The 203 I have now is not cutting it.
Stock.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I tow 50k miles a year mang. Just asking questions.because.ive.never had.trouble like that unless something was not working right. My trailer is 12' tall inside so im always pushing.TONS of air.
dmaxs.jpg

Not the greatest but you get the idea. Its an aerodynamic nightmare.

20122.jpg

This is my towpig. 12 duramax cclb. It runs pretty hot.
Frontshot.jpg

Last time my truck towed was setup like this. 37s, stg 2s and 38r. Ran cool. Cooler than the dmax ever did.

DocBar

Reaction score
Tycorr, my truck struggled to keep temps, but never got hot. I managed my tow/haul button to keep trans temps down to normal-ish. I had to stay in tow/haul mode more than normal due to the headwind I was running into. I'm very used to only using tow/haul in hills or in traffic. I guess that difference is what I'm in reference to when I say my truck struggled.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im wondering if it wasnt an issue with tuning is.why I.ask. I was running php tuning so nothing real special. Im surprised my oil temps.didnt.get more.crazy because when I rebuilt.the oil.cooler it was very.dried out and brittle.

I do.get what you're saying.but its.foreign to me. Even with a bad tstat I never had trouble. I didnt know.mine was bad until i changed the water pump.and the thermostat wouldnt.reopen during refill.

I hate those "trendy" hotter tstats. Its stupid in concept alone. Run a 192 or.189. The two common IH calibrations. No reason to.let things get so.hot, especially if its towing.

DocBar

Reaction score
Im wondering if it wasnt an issue with tuning is.why I.ask. I was running php tuning so nothing real special. Im surprised my oil temps.didnt.get more.crazy because when I rebuilt.the oil.cooler it was very.dried out and brittle.

I do.get what you're saying.but its.foreign to me. Even with a bad tstat I never had trouble. I didnt know.mine was bad until i changed the water pump.and the thermostat wouldnt.reopen during refill.

I hate those "trendy" hotter tstats. Its stupid in concept alone. Run a 192 or.189. The two common IH calibrations. No reason to.let things get so.hot, especially if its towing.
Running Gearhead tuning with "special trans tuning. The tuning only differs at shift points, though. I'm pretty confident with Matt's tunes.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, unless those.ambient temps are the.tipping point I cant corroborate what happened to you. My 265k mile super duty towed for at least 225k miles. I only had trans heat issues but not.while on the highway.

Latest posts

Members online