Options for Compounds with a 38R

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I think a very nice affordable availible setup would new borg forged milled turbos.. A s362fmw/s482fmw would be sweet. Or the new s363 Not fmw cheaper them the 362fmw with the s482fmw.

DocBar

Reaction score
This would be my choice for the low pressure turbo......

http://www.compturbo.com/products/ct6billet/ct6_106112

When (IF) I do compounds here is the one I will be going with... Just for space reasons...

http://www.compturbo.com/products/ct5billet/ct5_9194
Those look like nice turbos. Try to have them done by the time I get up there so we can compare the performance of a matched set of turbos to set glommed together by a hay bailer!!! :flipa: :poke: :D

I'm just messin with ya!!!

mattman347

Reaction score
:D Here is the S467 next to the S482 FMW.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 113

Blowby

Reaction score
It'll be an updated version of what Blowby runs on his race truck. That compound setup is wicked, even on the street in his 500hp emissions tune. Put that same setup on customers truck in Cali that uses his truck solely for towing and that thing ripped with 250cc b-codes

He won't give you any

When I had Pius build these turbos I asked for very specific results.

1. Peak HP at 3200 rpm
  2. Spool up nicely at 6000ft
  3. Run 11.50 at sea level on fuel

After he finished he called and said that be put together some small towing turbos with my spec's. After a long pause.... is this what you really want on your race truck? I laughed and asked if it will do what we planned to achieve? His answer was a firm "Yes of course it will".

So, it spools nice at elevation and it runs 11.5 on fuel only close to sea level on A/T tires. What more could you ask for? He said it has more in it but I need to gate the HP charger to a calculated 30psi. I said no thanks but if I really want to push 122psi manifold pressure I know it's capable.

:D

JDub

Reaction score
When I had Pius build these turbos I asked for very specific results.

1. Peak HP at 3200 rpm
  2. Spool up nicely at 6000ft
  3. Run 11.50 at sea level on fuel

After he finished he called and said that be put together some small towing turbos with my spec's. After a long pause.... is this what you really want on your race truck? I laughed and asked if it will do what we planned to achieve? His answer was a firm "Yes of course it will".

So, it spools nice at elevation and it runs 11.5 on fuel only close to sea level on A/T tires. What more could you ask for? He said it has more in it but I need to gate the HP charger to a calculated 30psi. I said no thanks but if I really want to push 122psi manifold pressure I know it's capable.

:D

It's the ultimate 7.3 turbo setup if you ask me...that truck is awesome under every circumstance of driving, competition, etc... It would be great for towing too

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It's the ultimate 7.3 turbo setup if you ask me...that truck is awesome under every circumstance of driving, competition, etc... It would be great for towing too

It is very hard to argue with that statement. Pretty sure I said something very similar to Dennis just a few days ago. LOL

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Those look like nice turbos. Try to have them done by the time I get up there so we can compare the performance of a matched set of turbos to set glommed together by a hay bailer!!! :flipa: :poke: :D

I'm just messin with ya!!!

LOL... I know you are!!!

It all cool!! BUT its hard to find the right turbo.. Most manufactors do not even have a flow map for there turbos... Having a flow map is allmost a must to get a perfect set....

DocBar

Reaction score
LOL... I know you are!!!

It all cool!! BUT its hard to find the right turbo.. Most manufactors do not even have a flow map for there turbos... Having a flow map is allmost a must to get a perfect set....
turbo maps look like rejects from the fingerprint dept. to me, so it wouldn't matter. Maybe you should give Bell a call, also.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
turbo maps look like rejects from the fingerprint dept. to me, so it wouldn't matter. Maybe you should give Bell a call, also.

I would learn (hear) to much to quick if I did that!!! Call bell that is...
My brain might short sercuit and fry on me!!! LOL

Big Bore

Reaction score
He says he has a new design that should be ready by early August that is quicker spooling, etc. I didn't ask any specs and he didn't offer any. What he did offer was a whole helluva lot of insight with the questions I have.

I'm going to use whatever he sends. I'll also be sending in the GQSSB for a thorough going over.

Any idea on the cost of this atmo he is coming out with? In keeping with the original post, is it compatible with a gated 38r? Or I should ask how does the GQSSB compare to the 38r?

Mikes setup definitely is a benchmark and sets the standard.

DocBar

Reaction score
Any idea on the cost of this atmo he is coming out with? In keeping with the original post, is it compatible with a gated 38r? Or I should ask how does the GQSSB compare to the 38r?

Mikes setup definitely is a benchmark and sets the standard.
I honestly have no idea on any of the questions you asked!!!LOL :gethim:

I decided to go with the GQSSB because I got a good deal on the setup from Freddie and I really liked the idea of having more options if it didn't work out with the compound setup vs. having to do it later if I didn't like the 38R setup.

I had been bouncing questions off of Jason and some others when I realized that there was an astronomically higher chance that my truck would rust to pieces before I ever learned how to properly size and match turbos. So I decided to listen to all these guys and just try to copy and paste a known, proven setup. That led directly to Mike and Pius.

Pius asked me quite a few questions, told me he will have exactly what I want in a few weeks and that is that.

I really wanted to do this on my own, but I just don't have the experience yet. I'll learn it eventually, but why experiment on my DD?

It's also pretty cool that I'll have a close copy of probably the best setup out there, but it'll still be a little bit different due to some upgrades over the years.

Latest posts

Members online