Options for Compounds with a 38R

DocBar

Reaction score
Gonna need bigger sticks for that lol
LOL..
I could be wrong but that that is a big turbo and I do not think a ideal match. Like I said I could be wrong.

How much of your goals for this setup is low rpm response spool up? The GQSSB moves more air than the 38r. I would also think where it lite and how fast it spool up would be a bit less than the 38R. From what I understand not as critical in compounds. I am just thinking in terms of what you goals might be for this setup.

IMO if you go with the GQSSB as it sounds like you are I would give Pius a call and talk to him about good turbo sizes for the atmosphere and what your goals are for it. Man has likely forgotten more about this stuff then most of us will every know in our lifetimes collectively.
I was thinking it would be too big of a turbo, but it never hurts to ask.

As for my goals, I want as much RWHP as I can get and still have a streetable DD that can tow heavy every now and then. I'm willing to sacrifice HP for utility, though.

Thanks for all of your input here.

DocBar

Reaction score
300/200 srp 1.1 gqssb s483 or 488 or gt88 or gt 91

83-91mm range with a big turbine and housing
Please remember that I don;t have a clue about sizing turbos and even less about matching two of them together for a compound setup. Can you give any specifics on air flow, expected backpressures, etc? I assume there could be a good deal of performance variation just by swapping turbine housings. Considering that this isn't a straight up competition truck or DD w/ no towing, how will each variation affect overall functionality and performance?

DocBar,

I saw these and though you might be interested. Price on CompD is $550 each. The turbo is comparable to a Gt47. Make a hell of an atmospheric turbo...

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/3117789162.html

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137563
Thanks for the link. I'll do somew research on them. Does anyone have any experience with these?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
As for my goals, I want as much RWHP as I can get and still have a streetable DD that can tow heavy every now and then. I'm willing to sacrifice HP for utility, though.

Thanks for all of your input here.

Just to maybe give you some ideas, I ran a 66/76 19cm hx55 and a 88/110 1.15 s4t with 400/200's and it was a blast to drive. 100% smoke free at wot and egt's were icy cold at 1000-1150* in the street tunes. It spooled quick and only cost me aroun $2500 to put together, thats including the chargers.

DocBar

Reaction score
How would a BW S475 like this work?

Specs:
::Compressor:: (cold side) Over 98 lb/min
- Wheel: 75mm Inducer / 100.8mm Exducer w/ Extended Tip Technology <
- Housing: (select from menu)
#1. 5.00" ported anti-surge air inlet / V-band flange charge pipe outlet.
#2 Large High Flow Race Cover w/ 5.50" air inlet/ 3" slip-on charge pipe outlet with ballistic attenuator. (has tapered funnel/velocity stack fitted on the inside of the air inlet)

::Turbine:: (hot side)
- Wheel: 95.7mm Inducer / 88mm Exducer (Made of Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation)
- Housing: Large T6 Divided twin scroll inlet/ 5.00" V-band flange downpipe discharge
- A/R: 1.32 A/R

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
atleast an s480

im actually thinking about stepping down to a s363 63/76 .90 or 1.0 from the 66 to run with the 83 to get instaspool but well see there about $900

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
OK guys, help me out here. Pick a turbo you think is best and please give some details as to why.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Ive already said what i think..

Low pressure 1.25 or larger ex housing
S480 or bigger
Gt4718 or bigger
S4t or bigger

High pressure T4 .90-1.0
S362fmw
S363
S366
S467fmw

All depends on how fast u want to spool

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
What injectors?
I'm leaning strongly towards 300/200's but not fully decided. The tuning issues are kinda steering me away from 400/400's. I kinda like the idea of 400/200's, but nobody else seems to.
This the reply I got from Bill at Bullseye:
We will not build an 88mm in the S400 frame for 2 reasons, you lose the recirc groove and secondly the cover is long out of air so the 88 wheel does nothing but slow the turbo down. in that frame size out 83mm BatMowheel series out performs a s400/88.

OR

You can go with our new 450 series 88mm it has an S400 back half with our BatMoWheel wheel and cover on the front side.

Regards,

Bill Devine
Sales/Marketing Manager
Bullseye Power LLC
231 571 8424
There are so many options and my knowledge is so limited that I'm kinda in a quandry. I'm gonna go talk to the guys at Garmon Diesel in Griffin this week. They are mostly Cummins guys, but have a good rep and know compound set ups. Turbos are deceptive to me. The basics are fairly straight forward, but I haven't been able to grasp the finer details yet. That's a lack of experience on my part.

Kinda like how one develops good judgement: experience based on bad judgement. LOL

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Why not do 400/200? Cost should be same as 300/200

Turbos are easy once u figure it out. I was where your at at one point. You got a compressor wheel and a turbine wheel and housings.. Basicly..

Your gonna want something in the range of 62-67 on the compressor side with the largest turbine wheel possible with a medium housing .90-1.0 for the high pressure

For the low pressure you need a big enough turbo to not bottleneck the little one hence why you can go huge. But for a good all round use in the power range your looking for remember your not going for 1000 hp your probily looking for 650? So no need for that 101.. 80-91 compressor wheel with the largest turbine wheel and a large housing again you dont want the big turbo to be a restriction on the turbine/exhaust side.

Money also plays a part an s483 from bullseye new is $1800 a gt88 from forced inductions is $1250 an s480 from borg is $950

They will all work

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Mad D,

I would think the largest turbine wheel possible on the hp turbo is not the ideal choice. I certainly could be wrong. My thoughts are that it will hurt intial spool up and responivness unnecessarily. I would think a normal sized housing and turbine wheelas any extra exhuast flow is going to be gated around it and to the atmosphere turbo. This way you get that immediate responsiveness and all the extra is handled by the atmosphere getting it fuly spooled and lit that much sooner. There you can go big turbine and housing to match the max flow you are looking for and pr etc..

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
True really depends on what the oprions are. Like the new 363 has an option of a 76/68 or a 73/64. On the options availible 9 times out of 10 the largest turbine wheel availible is Still too small for some applications. Ie big 8cylinder diesels.. I prefer to go tighter on the housing..

Btw borgs new s482fmw is out! Id do that with a s362fmw

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online