Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

TRUBBS

Reaction score
CR Manifold would set the turbo further forward, but you'd have to run a spacer to set the turbo higher so it doesn't interfere with the valve cover. At least that was my exeriance with my 24V and stock HE351CW trubo.

Are you talking about using it flipped? I used my cr flipped with a 1/2" spacer for twins. And just normal way (tucked in the back) with the single

bad12jr

Reaction score
That was what I was wondering if it could be flipped.

Sent from my DROID X2 chillin somewhere

bad12jr

Reaction score
Got ya. That answers my question then. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 chillin somewhere

Matt_P

Reaction score
Alright time for an update finally.

I know for sure the 2nd gen manifold wont fit so I got a 3rd gen manifold Im gonna try and if that doesnt work I got a line on an industrial 24v manifold.

Also got some injection lines finally, instead of .084 mild steel thought I have .093 stainless. Also got my new oil feed line for the turbo, fuel system is all finished even though the pictures dont show the return line for the airdog. Superduty gasser pedal is on with dodge throttle linkage ran through the cab. New starter is on, All powersteering return and cooler lines are routed. AC compressor is on.

I also got started on the wiring, So far the 6.0 harness is completely stripped with every single wire labeled, got the connectors off the cummins harness I need and next I need to jump into the dodge PCM harness

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_P

Reaction score
Got some more done on the truck, its gettin close

Got the turbo all mounted up and clocked with the 3rd gen manifold. The oil feed and return lines are done for the turbo big thanks to Bryan for that!

I also got my hydroboost line made, boost line for the AFC all done, wastegate hose, Heater hoses, Got the aluminum spacer for the trans crossmember all done except for getting the two holes going into the tranny counterbored since i didnt have a drill bit big enough.

I also have a 273 case that will work with my dodge trans now as well.

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Little more progress, got my aluminum trans crossmember spacer in and bolted up the 273 case, tomorrow Im taking the driveshafts to get the front shortened and rear lengthened.

Ran the TV cable, got the battery tray mounted up, re adjusted my valve lash again, drilled and retapped the manifold bolt hole that the brand new bolt decided to break off in.

I also did some more work on the wiring, cut out all un needed wires from the 6.0 harness and labeled all wires on the dodge PCM harness and removed all un needed wires from that harness as well. I got my starter signal wire ran and positive cable to the starter I just need to shorten the Ford cables a little for the batteries. THen I need to start getting things wired together and I need to get all the ford tranny wiring stripped out of that harness as well.

After that I gotta get radiator hoses ran, trans cooler lines, downpipe, intake, IC pipes, shifter linkage and the rest of my throttle linkage and re assemble the front end.

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Just a quick update, Ive been working the past couple days on getting the engine running. I picked up -10 an stainless braided line and ran my trans cooler lines with it, got my throttle linkage all mounted up. Then I hooked battery cables up and ground from the engine to the frame and filled it up with fuel and all other fluids minus coolant and got the truck ready to fire.

The airdog primed good and ran fuel right to the injectors when I cracked the lines. I build 50psi of oil pressure while cranking and it cranked real nice so everything was looking good. We got it to fire for a second on ether, but the battery charger was real weak and Im just attempting to fire it on a single battery for the time being.

Then it fired again for a second without ether and when I went to crank again it wasnt starting and then the battery charger took a dump.

So I went and bought a brand new battery charger and attempted to fire it and all it would do is crank, still building good oil pressure, good fuel to the injection pump, and fuel to all the injectors when I cracked the lines. Everything was pointing to good.

So we though maybe it jumped timing. I pulled the first two injectors back out to make sure everything looked good which it did, then while I had the first one out I made sure #1 was back at TDC. I pulled the front cover back off to pull off the pump gear and after I got the nut off I went to put the gear pulled on and it literally just fell off.

So there is problem 1, dont think that nut was torqued to 180 ft/lbs LOL and the little mark on the pump shaft looked way off what it would have been set at for 21* so pretty positive it jumped timing a lot. So right now Im waiting on the timing kit I just bought to show up.

I also pulled out the overflow valve and found that the two viton washers for that were all torn up and the threads for the valve had been previously helicoiled as well. So I went and picked up new washers today.

Hopefully it will fire next week, sounded good for the second it fired LOL

Matt_P

Reaction score
That sucks Matt! I know it's only a minor set back, but it sucks non the less. Bet you can't wait to get her running again!

Yeah it was a bummer for sure, unfortunately I just gotta play the waiting game again! Im definitely ready to get it running again after 4 months LOL

It sounded good for that partial second it was running. LOL :D

LOL yeah it did, I got pretty excited even just hearing it fire for that second

Matt_P

Reaction score
Get that thing going ts is only 2 weeks away

Unfortunately that wont be happening now, pretty sure I found the big issue.

I reset timing probably 10 times the past week, a couple times it jumped again. When I reset it the first time, timing had jumped to over 40*. It still just wouldnt fire, like it wasnt getting the fuel right. So yesterday tried putting the fuel shutoff to the off position. Then with the engine at #1 TDC and the injection line cracked at the connector tube I ran the airdog and a thick steady stream of fuel came out the #1 injection line. NOT GOOD when the fuel is supposed to be shut off at the pump. Then it continued to do this when bumped to a different stroke.

So #1 was getting flooded with fuel pretty much at all times. So today I pulled all the injectors out. #1-4 nozzles were soaked in fuel. There was fuel in 1-4 injection lines as well but really none in 5 or 6 and those nozzles were dry. So I pulled the P pump off this morning too and took them both down to columbus diesel supply.

I explained the situation to them and he said they will get the pump torn down and test that as well as the injectors. The pump like I had said before is an industrial pump with about 350,000 miles on it, not sure how long it sat but Im pretty positive something is wrong in that pump. Unfortunately they cant get to it for about a week. If they rebuild it though they are gonna flow match the injectors to the pump, and set it to flow about 450-500cc and pin it at 22* so it should be real nice when its all done, I just need to wait and find out.

But I also stopped at jegs and got all the fittings to finish my trans cooler lines and got fittings and stainless braided hose and made a new oil feed line for the ps/vacuum pump as well becuase the stock one was leaking when I was cranking the engine over. I also picked up all the piping and silicone hose Ill need for the downpipe, IC pipes and radiator hoses.

So for now Ill just keep working on the little stuff until I find out more about the pump. At least the 20s are back on the truck LOL

Dzlnut

Reaction score
That sux but at least you will know what you have and it will be set up the way you want it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.