Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

Matt_P

Reaction score
That sux but at least you will know what you have and it will be set up the way you want it.

yep, those were the only two parts I put in that engine and like my luck goes one of those two screwed up. But your right itll definitely be set up right now, just sucks on the waiting and lets hope thats the last issue!

Damn Matt.....lets party

Oh Im down to party! where we partying tonight?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Bummer Matt, hopefully it don't take long to get your parts back.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Bummer Matt, hopefully it don't take long to get your parts back.

Yeah unfortunately its gonna be at least 3 weeks if it needs rebuilt.

But here are a couple pictures.

New ps/vacuum pump oil feed line
DSC01206.jpg

Tranny cooler lines all finished

DSC01208.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

And it looks like Ive taken a couple steps backwards
DSC01210.jpg

At least its got 20s back on it LOL
DSC01211.jpg

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I just have to say... Matt, you do a great job man. That truck is going to be awesome! Looks and power!

Matt_P

Reaction score
Now you need to do the 6.0 Powerstroke door emblem delete....

I kinda thought about leaving them on just for ****s and giggles but I probably should just yank them off. Unless I get some billet badges made again there wont be any cummins C's going on the truck

So how long after you get this one done before you sell it? :poke:

LOL well hopefully Ill be real happy with this truck when I get it done and I wont want to sell it

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well finally have an update, Unfortunately pretty much zero progress has been made, Ive been waiting on columbus diesel to let me know on the the pump. I drove down there today and finally got some news on the pump and injectors... Unfortunately not the greatest news.

He had my governor all pulled out and showed me that one of the weights and snap rings had come off the governor and was just bouncing around in the housing, probably caught the governor and was holding it open which was one of the issues. The weight is all mangled. Good news though is the camshafts and rollers still look brand new. Plungers were confirmed to be 12mm as well and all moved freely. They are gonna put a new weight and snap ring in the pump and re seal it.

Then they are going to calibrate it and make sure it is good to go. They are also gonna pin the timing at 20* for me and chart is up to 28* so its real easy for me to bump up as needed. Also gonna set the fuel around 450-500cc for me.

Now for the expensive fix.. The injectors. I bought these DDP 150s that were supposed to be set to 290 bar and all that. Well turns out 3 of them had cracked nozzles. That explains why they were soaked in fuel when I pulled them out. The other 3 are still questionable.

So columbus is getting me a set of 175hp nozzles and gonna flow match them with my pump and set them to the right pressure.

Everything should be done friday so with any luck the truck will be running this weekend. I also got my billet tappet cover this week as well.

Here is a pic of the weight:
6_10151749919075300_866290299_24486228_858193079_n.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well, at least you're almost there.

Gettin excited yet?

Yeah finally getting closer, Im definitely getting excited! But Im still kinda nervous that something else could still go wrong. lol

And I still need to get my hands on a 96-97 dodge PCM and wiring harness and 5r shift lever.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well the Fummins is Finally ALIVE!!!!

Went to Columbus yesterday and picked up my pump and injectors. The pump flowed a wopping 150cc & 1500RPM in stock form LOL but it should flow plenty when I start messing around with it. Dan at Columbus told me the injectors flow great as well.

So I went to the shop today and put the engine back together and by the time Jason got home from work I had it ready to fire. So we cracked the lines and ran the airdog and cranked it over and worked the air out. After cranking for just a minute or so I closed the lines and she fired right up!

Truck builds great oil pressure and runs very smoother. Starts up right away now as well. I didnt run it for long since I dont have coolant running through it but it sounds great and I couldnt be happier right now. Been waiting for today for the last five months.

Anyways, here is a video and some pics. Sorry the video and sound arent matching up too well for some reason
th_M4H01217.jpg

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well got the rest of the engine buttoned up today, ran the two crankcase breather hoses off the tappet cover to the back of the frame by the fuel tank. Put the radiator and IC back in and made the top radiator hose, got the IC pipes mocked up and ordered my pipe bends for the lower radiator hose. Finished making the battery cables. Got my 97 PCM today and Ford autometer factory matched gauges.

I do think Im gonna have some clearance issues with the intake horn and hood due to the spacer for clearing the injection lines so might have to make a new intake horn to solve that issue.

My 97 wiring harness should be here early next week so I gotta get the wiring finished up, all the piping finished up and finish putting the front end together and a couple small details and the truck should be just about ready to roll out the shop

Matt_P

Reaction score
Here is a picture for you, dont mind the fact that the pillar paint doesnt match at all, it was the closest I could find on short notice and it was better than black LOL The gauges look great and I really like the quality.
IMG_20120605_175717.jpg

Got my engine wiring harness all loomed, ran and finished. Wired up my external voltage regulator for the alternator. Started making the downpipe. And got my mockup made for the IC pipes. The hot side pipe is gonna have to have a couple 90s in it to run up and around so I can get my intake to sit where the passenger side battery used to.

Just still waiting on my new wiring harness so I can finish the tranny wiring and Id like to run the shutoff solenoid off the PCM as well. Only other issue is allowing the starter relay to trigger so I can crank the truck as the ECM can no longer see P/N but I think I can make it work if I just ground the wire that runs off pin 85 on the the starter relay to the ecm for P/N pickup. Im getting a little sick of wiring LOL Lets just hope it all works.

Latest posts

Members online