rebuilding for 550 hp.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i'm rebuilding a motor with 170K on it in hopes to be around 550 to the wheels. I"m going to use either the RiffRaff rebuild kit or the WOP rebuild kit. they appear to be about the same. along with 20 over piston. going to call both and get exact details
I have a list of things im going to do, chime in and add whatever you like. nothing is going to happen for a couple more months
Rebuild kit
heads ported/polish
springs/shims/studs
Stage 1 Cam
238/100's
Gated S366 going to gate my current charger and add a larger compressor wheel to flow around 1200 cfm
complete fuel kit

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i've been debating on injector size. thats not going to happen for awhile. Motor is already on an engine stand in our shop @ home. it was a drop in motor, so i have boxes of stuff i pulled off of it that was still on it when i bought it.
already have heads off and going to send them off to get re-done and ported/polished

ford_trck

Reaction score
I would be surprised if Zack decides to spray his truck. He is a bit of a pussywillow when it comes to flooring his truck.

Wicked

Reaction score
I suggest:

-Go with 250cc/100-200% injectors
-SRP1.1
-Riffraff Ford Master rebuild kit with machined pistons (this is what I ordered and check your block to see if you can do .10 over instead... the more your bore the weaker the walls and more hot spots that can come up so if you can bore less it is better)
-Melling hv lpop
-Have the forged rods cryogenically treated... I got mine done for $130 with shipping back to me (PM me for details)
-Get welded piston squirters or have yours welded and replace the bolts that hold them in
-Make sure you have them fully balance the rotating assembly... once you do this don't worry about a fluidampner

Here is a picture of the Mahle pistons that Riffraff machined for me:
20120216_162813.jpg

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I don't get why you need a gate with those injectors??

i assumed that with that much fuel, it would be necesary to gate it to keep the boost under control

What HPOP are you going to run?

I will be running T500

What would it hurt though if he ends up spraying it :confused:

no spray here

I would be surprised if Zack decides to spray his truck. He is a bit of a pussywillow when it comes to flooring his truck.

your damn right Ross, the only time i floor the truck is when its pulling season. Thats why i'm building this other motor from the ground up, so i can hammer on it harder :hammer:

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I suggest:

-Go with 250cc/100-200% injectors
-SRP1.1
-Riffraff Ford Master rebuild kit with machined pistons (this is what I ordered and check your block to see if you can do .10 over instead... the more your bore the weaker the walls and more hot spots that can come up so if you can bore less it is better)
-Melling hv lpop
-Have the forged rods cryogenically treated... I got mine done for $130 with shipping back to me (PM me for details)
-Get welded piston squirters or have yours welded and replace the bolts that hold them in
-Make sure you have them fully balance the rotating assembly... once you do this don't worry about a fluidampner

Here is a picture of the Mahle pistons that Riffraff machined for me:
20120216_162813.jpg

i'm not going to order the rebuild kit until i can get the block fully inspected.
I"ve thought about having the rods treated,i'll pm you eventually and talk more about that wiht you.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
my s366 would not like life with my setup without a wastegate. The wastegate opens often, you can hear it clearly out the exhaust. I had it plumbed incorrectly when i first had it running with this setup and it threw the backpressure way off the gauge. The .91 housing is awesome for towing and response on the street but only if you are putting a wastegate with it. the stock cast 66mm inducer wheel is pretty much maxed out at this level too, i made 528 this past weekend and everyone was impressed that the stock cast wheel could keep up, it's pretty much maxed out but should get you to 550 if you're dead set on that extra ~20hp. On the dyno i still have some fuel to clean up so im kind of undecided as to what to do now, leave it the way it is, or make room for another turbo :shrug:

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise Junkie. I've talked a little with the main turbo guy at Danville Performance www.danvilleperformance.com (my buddy has ALOT of work done by them on his 2.8 pulling truck) And they can add the wastegate and possibly add a stronger wheel to hold up down the road.
I"m not dead set on 550 hp by any means, its just something I'd like to shoot for.
As for your setup Junkie, do you feel like the 366 would be able to be an effective tow rig, or should smaller injectors be required?

TyCorr

Reaction score
my s366 would not like life with my setup without a wastegate. The wastegate opens often, you can hear it clearly out the exhaust. I had it plumbed incorrectly when i first had it running with this setup and it threw the backpressure way off the gauge. The .91 housing is awesome for towing and response on the street but only if you are putting a wastegate with it. the stock cast 66mm inducer wheel is pretty much maxed out at this level too, i made 528 this past weekend and everyone was impressed that the stock cast wheel could keep up, it's pretty much maxed out but should get you to 550 if you're dead set on that extra ~20hp. On the dyno i still have some fuel to clean up so im kind of undecided as to what to do now, leave it the way it is, or make room for another turbo :shrug:

Ive often wondered if a set of 238/80's could work in a set of compounds. Or 250's in your case. My plan is similar to yours. I am thinking 238 or 250's and an 80% nozzle. If.compounds happen and I need a little quicker fuel I can get the inj freshened up and put.larger nozzles on them. I bet you could spool compounds if you.have unburnt fuel.on the dyno. Awesome sounding setup you have.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I see two turbos that interest me in the classifieds, a 480 and a 488. Probably not going to happen as the idea didnt fly with the 'boss' but she's not officially my boss yet:D

If it were to happen i'd get completely rid of this turbo and mount, then get a mount that positions the small turbo over the drivers side head more or less, and enough room to put a s400 beside it similar to factory 6.4 turbos. Not wild about putting a turbo way out front. I would go to a 62mm secondary probably with a tigher turbine if i could find one. I think it would work great and be a stupid fun truck to drive. It's already a blast to drive i just dont know if i want to go dicking with my setup now it's working soooo well together. I always say im done and gonna leave it alone but we all know how that goes. I could stand a little quicker spoolup from a smaller compressor and add a blast of top end power with a bigger turbo feeding it now i have the oil pumps to maximize the 250's.

I can tow well too, in excess of 25-28,000 gcvw, im sure it would do fine without my water injection setup but my water added into the mix really slows down the EGT gauge and in the tow tune worrying about the egt isn't an issue. 600 on 80% nozzles, never seen it done before, but eh i bet it would be close.

edit- dont hate on the origin of the photo, just a picture of how it can be done.

http://www.shop.blackwidowdiesel.com/images/1234013470744-487872186.jpg

Last edited:

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i'd love to have a set of twins, but the Single charger setup is all the air i'll need. I will do alot of towing wit it as well, so thats why i'm still on the wall for either 250/200s or 238/100's.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
250/80s if youre towing. If the rest of my truck was a good trailer puller, im sure this is the setup i'd have on it. im not sold on the 200% nozzle thing yet, i still havent seen enough to sell me on them if this the hp you're shooting for.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i'll be doing drag races, sled pulls, and alot of towing. my main concern is too much fuel for low end rpm's and too much drive pressure. I haven't found too many people running s366's with hybrids, and i remembered talking to you in the past about this idea as well. over the weekend i talked with a guy at home, and i'm goign to trade him my stock heads for his ported/polished heads. So that will save me some $$ and hopefully make the truck run cooler/better

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
If you were local i'd let you take my truck for a spin, mainly so i could get some video of the damn thing. LOL my videographer would be good for refilming the blair witch project or something

Latest posts

Members online