Responsive Turbo/compounds Thoughts

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah that's exactly it. I bet the sensor would drop right in. Any idea what threads the 7.3 sensor is? The 6.4 uses I believe a -4 jic

Looks simple just install the sensor and rescale it in the computer...

Big Bore

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the "instantaneous a/r" (if you will..) of a VGT turbine when in the closed (quick spool) position is? The stock 6.0's turbo have .9a/r stamped on them, and i know the vanes cycling doesnt do anything to change the size of the housing, just changed the angle of attack the gasses take on the turbine wheel. But for arguments sake (and since i've always wanted to know), what equivalent turbine A/R does a VGT act like when closed, something like a .30 or .40a/r? Does what i said above even make sense LOL

I did a little searching on that last night and I think you are close. someone at Industrial Injection could probably tell you, I saw their name pop up quite a bit when searching.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I believe it is 1/4 pipe iirc. Even if it was a diff thread, nothing an adapter can not fix.

I gotta find me one of these turbo's. I have everything to make the mount already at the shop.

Intake plenums would have to be modified but I have an idea for that as well.

Ebay here I come.....

907DAVE

Reaction score
Its 1/8 pipe. The sensor I linked to would be a direct replacement also.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of the bottom side of that turbo? I am curious what it would take to make a mount with feed and drain passages.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of the bottom side of that turbo? I am curious what it would take to make a mount with feed and drain passages.

I can get one - but the feed and drain passages are just like a "Normal" turbo - not the specific passageways you find on the 7.3 pedestal.

907DAVE

Reaction score
That makes it easy then. What year(s) turbo should a guy be looking for?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I believe it is the 03+ that have the vgt. Not 100% on that though.

From the pictures I have seen it would not be hard to work out the oil supply and return. Basically just modify a setup like what is used for a t-4 like irate sells.

I believe the turbo's are also water cooled but it should not be that hard to tap into the heater core supply and return lines for this.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
hummmm... Might be something to build for Chelsea's Excursion...

Would a stock one be a good fit for a 38R replacement?

MINK

Reaction score

I'm not sure if "good" would be my term but the factory dmax chargers support 5-550hp, granted the 6.6 headflow comes into play there aswell.

Big Bore

Reaction score

I've been trying to figure out the size of the stock dmax turbo, the best I've been able to find is a reference to an 88mm wheel, which I think is the compressor exducer. Which of course is the same size as the 38R.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out the size of the stock dmax turbo, the best I've been able to find is a reference to an 88mm wheel, which I think is the compressor exducer. Which of course is the same size as the 38R.

But the VGT would come into play there...

I'm just thinking you could clock that turbo a bit to make the intake thing be less of an issue... Would love to have one sitting in the shop on the mock up motor right now. Looks like a simple drill and tap one of my mount bases and build some up pipes/down pipe.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Jason, do you think there would be any clearance issues with a down pipe and the fire wall? Seeing as the outlet on the turbine housing faces the fire wall, and the up pipes would have to connect right under it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
But the VGT would come into play there...
Yea, I'm not saying it's a problem at all. I hardly have a problem now with the 38R at my altitudes and grades. I'm thinking if this works really well, that the 4294 VVT will work just fine.

I'm just thinking you could clock that turbo a bit to make the intake thing be less of an issue... Would love to have one sitting in the shop on the mock up motor right now. Looks like a simple drill and tap one of my mount bases and build some up pipes/down pipe.
Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Latest posts

Members online