Responsive Turbo/compounds Thoughts

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Jason, do you think there would be any clearance issues with a down pipe and the fire wall? Seeing as the outlet on the turbine housing faces the fire wall, and the up pipes would have to connect right under it.

I think some fitment in an actual truck is required - but I don't see any reason that a variation of the Dmax downpipe couldn't be uses - especially if you clocked the whole turbo setup so the exhaust outlet is pointed more towards that passenger side - this would also help with the mounting plate as well as the oil feed and drain connections.

dmax_down_comp.jpg

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. Rotate the Turbo so the intake is more to the left and the exhaust might fit better. Also might make it easier to get an intake y in there. Can always run a 2 piece down pipe to make it easier to get in and out as well.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I know everyone is on the electronic controller bandwagon for the vgt but what about a mechanical way of doing it. Iv seen videos and they look like they do really well for themselves. Plus they are really simple to do and maybe even be possible to make them open to any diesel engine

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Jason can you take a pic of the base-plate from the sides? I keep wondering if it could be cut, rotated and re-welded.

?

I'm not sure I follow you. You mean cut the turbine housing inlet flange off and rotate it and weld it back on? That would put the inlet ports to one side of the valley or the other instead of out the back of the valley....

You really just need a plate that the turbo can bolt to - and then bolt down in the valley - I would slightly rotate the turbo a little bit to kick the outlet of the turbine housing towards the passenger side and then the compressor housing inlet towards the drivers side. This will allow access to the oil feed (and drain if desired) as well as put the outlet for the downpipe and the inlet to the compressor in better locations.

Big Bore

Reaction score
?

I'm not sure I follow you. You mean cut the turbine housing inlet flange off and rotate it and weld it back on? That would put the inlet ports to one side of the valley or the other instead of out the back of the valley....

I'm missing something then. When I look at the pic you posted from the back of the turbo, I see the inlet flange where a collector would bolt to, but the turbo is sideways, or basically 90 deg from how our turbo is already sitting. Like others I would like to see the turbo rotated 90 deg but keep that flange to the rear as it shows in the pic. What am I missing?

I really need to find one of these even if it's a junker just to start doing mockup work.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Those housings are part of the pedestal.

Edit: Now I'm confused..lol

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm missing something then. When I look at the pic you posted from the back of the turbo, I see the inlet flange where a collector would bolt to, but the turbo is sideways, or basically 90 deg from how our turbo is already sitting. Like others I would like to see the turbo rotated 90 deg but keep that flange to the rear as it shows in the pic. What am I missing?

I really need to find one of these even if it's a junker just to start doing mockup work.

Ah - I'm completely off track. LOL I was thinking you wanted to rotate the base for better mounting or something - didn't even think about rotating the top of the turbo so it meets "standard 7.3 conventions" I don't think you need to - I bet you can make it work. Hell I bet it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes of CAD (cardboard aided design) to get a base design that would work - big deal that the turbo is rotated slightly different than you are use to.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Exactly! The turbo orientation doesnt have to be the same as what the 7.3 uses currently.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That would be great if it would, but it's going to have to make a hard turn to get past the up-pipes isn't it? And then if you wanted to do compounds later?

I think at worst case - its still better than the factory Duramax pipe - but having a cab sitting in the way will help get a better idea.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been able to get any more info out of the ebpv testing? I have ordered a Lmm turbo and it should be here early next week. I have the baseplate already made up just need to figure out exactly how I want the turbo to sit and drill and tap the mount holes for it and I will be ready to test fit it under the hood of a truck. Once I get that figured out I have most of the parts to build the up pipes. Just working on finding the stuff I need for the connection to the turbo.

I can get all the mount and pipe routing figured out but I lack the software (minotaur) to do any of the control programming. Hoping someone will be able to help me out with it, or I will order the software and someone walk me through what they have found out for programing it.

I also ordered a bps for a 6.4 just in case it is needed. Trying to gather up the last few things I will need like oil drain fittings and supply hose. Def wanna give this a try as I think it will work great for my tow vehicle I plan to start on this fall.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I think 907Dave was going to do some data logging of some kind. I was planning to just do a voltage test at startup etc to see just what kind of voltage was coming to the plug, if I'm getting any at all since I have no EPVS. I've been planning to reinstall that EBP tube and sensor for use as BP gauge and I think I can still T into the tube for that. If I get a chance tomorrow I will hook up the meter to the EBPV connector and see what I get. I've also talked to curtis and he seemed to think using the EBPV/S (?) tables would be doable.

What did you give for that turbo? I've been checking on CL ever since this thread came along, best I could find was a Industial compound setup and I'm not even sure the stock turbo was part of the sale, however I was trying to figure out where I could get the $1900 the guy was asking lol.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Ive been slacking...lol.

Actually had a few other issues that got in my way, but I will be sure to get something going on this for you guys soon.

Robert, I will be willing to help you out any way I can to get this off the ground.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I cant figure the software out to make it a progressive adjustment. Working on it but need to get some stuff fixed at the house. It should be a constant signal. Waiting on AE to come in to look at it. The controller I have found will do pwm I/Os. ( midrange price audrino). Inputs should be simple to reference just boost and ebp but need to double check.

Ill try to get any info I can. May be able to borrow and osilliscope but not 100% sure
Sent from my x2 somewhere

Latest posts

Members online