Riffraff's ultimate Hutch Mod

Stroker04

Reaction score
The sump will only provide head pressure as long as the fuel level is above the pump. Once you reach half tank, those benefits are gone. I think I'd just make sure to have enough pump.
You're still having to pull fuel up out of the tank, probably doesn't make much of a difference to really notice it though. Marty uses a 5/8 pickup with his a1000 kits and they have no issues. I have a sump on my truck just because it was cheap and easy to install.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
This is a very nice piece, but expect it to be very pricey.

IMO and experience, no matter how the big straw is done, air will be an issue at 1/4 tank or less. Just going up/down hills will move the fuel away from the straw enough to create issues with air entrainment. If the roads are very flat, I can go below 1/4, but no need to risk it. Having a fuel pressure gauge in the cab is the only way to know.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
You're still having to pull fuel up out of the tank, probably doesn't make much of a difference to really notice it though. Marty uses a 5/8 pickup with his a1000 kits and they have no issues. I have a sump on my truck just because it was cheap and easy to install.

Love my sump. May not have needed it, but I have no fuel pump pressure issues at all. Truck runs like a dream. Someone mentioned fuel level and pump level. My pump is below the tank, but I doubt it would have been an issue

This is a nice piece. When it comes to draw straws or sumps , to each their own. Everyone has an opinion or preference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a sump. Have had mine on for almost 5 years with zero issues.

Clays product will be a nice addition for someone looking for a setup like this.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be fairly pricey considering a fuel float from ford for the SD trucks is damn near $450 from ford alone...

This doesnt use a Ford fuel float. This uses a product 10 times better then the garbage troublesome ford float.

Price point will be well below $300... and no that does not mean $299...

The whole positive fuel pressure myth with a sump is complete garbage. I dare any of you to remove one of my fuel filters under the truck and not take a diesel bath. Have none of you ever siphoned fuel out of a tank before?

Stroker04

Reaction score
This doesnt use a Ford fuel float. This uses a product 10 times better then the garbage troublesome ford float.

The whole positive fuel pressure myth with a sump is complete garbage. I dare any of you to remove one of my fuel filters under the truck and not take a diesel bath. Have none of you ever siphoned fuel out of a tank before?
I figured it wouldn't use that float..unfortunately I can't undo a hole in the bottom of my tank but I may get one to fix my pos ford float...it'd be worth it alone if the cost will be below $300..that's a great price for such a nice piece..

PSD POWER007

Reaction score

Any idea when these will start selling?
And you did say you were running on on your excursion didn't you? I'm interested in this and some simple cost effective pre OEM pump filter for my Ex. Trying to stay simple and reliable. Also have the stock fuel bowl and a RR FRX.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sloshing was about the only thing I could think of you'd be getting at. Riff Raff's stuff is top notch, and this product will hopefully be another great option for our trucks. If you're going to use a draw straw, looks like it'd be tough to beat.

I still like a sump for the positive head pressure it provides the fuel pump...which I theorize (no test data) helps with pumps longevity, and helps an ailing/failing/weak pump make pressure. I think guys can get away with "more sump less pump" on a fuel system vs a draw straw. Just my 2 cents. No pissing match here either.
if set propper it wont be any worse then the stock pickup. i have ran my dually down to what i believe where fumes as i pulled into the fuel station on a long trip to cali. that was totally an accident cuz i didnt know the terain and didnt know there was 5million miles between fuel stations. lol.. but with my 5/8 pickup from strictly i have put over 40 gallon in a 38 gallon tank and it was still running with no hiccups.

no difference. Dennis at strictly diesel did some testing and he will even say that the draw straw is what he would go with..
This is a very nice piece, but expect it to be very pricey.

IMO and experience, no matter how the big straw is done, air will be an issue at 1/4 tank or less. Just going up/down hills will move the fuel away from the straw enough to create issues with air entrainment. If the roads are very flat, I can go below 1/4, but no need to risk it. Having a fuel pressure gauge in the cab is the only way to know.
see above

yep. agreed
If that's for sure the price point, I guess its time to find a new tank. I like this way better then my sump.
its badass aint it? wish it was available a while back!!

live life full throttle

Stroker04

Reaction score
if set propper it wont be any worse then the stock pickup. i have ran my dually down to what i believe where fumes as i pulled into the fuel station on a long trip to cali. that was totally an accident cuz i didnt know the terain and didnt know there was 5million miles between fuel stations. lol.. but with my 5/8 pickup from strictly i have put over 40 gallon in a 38 gallon tank and it was still running with no hiccups.

no difference. Dennis at strictly diesel did some testing and he will even say that the draw straw is what he would go with..

see above

yep. agreed

its badass aint it? wish it was available a while back!!

live life full throttle
Doesn't take long to pull a bed off and install one...

Bjesse

Reaction score
I should just direct deposit my paychecks to Riffraff. lol!

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score

live life full throttle

I have had the same experience. I had Dennis 5/8 pickup and a TDS sump for over a year. Took that long to decide to go with the draw straw. No regrets on it. My truck went below a 1/4 tank many times with no pressure issues.

And Joe, I was also wondering if anybody had ever siphoned gas.

Once you start the siphon, the fuel will flow as long as there is fuel to flow.

neverkickn

Reaction score

Wow! That's lower than I would have guessed. I have always been impressed with Clay, from his products to his customer service. Dudes got a solid reputation in my book, and while no one "needs" this piece any more than a draw straw, at that price point, the added value/cool factor alone will be enough for many to justify the expense.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wow! That's lower than I would have guessed. I have always been impressed with Clay, from his products to his customer service. Dudes got a solid reputation in my book, and while no one "needs" this piece any more than a draw straw, at that price point, the added value/cool factor alone will be enough for many to justify the expense.
agreed 110%!!! id have to install a site glass over top of it in the bed to show it off though!

live life full throttle

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Please share the knowledge you have that lead you to post this

Years and years and years of running equipment, putting fuel in equipment, working on equipment...

You learn things that a college book wont each you. And please dont take this as a dig...

Simply put, go remove a filter from under my truck... Fuel will continue to flow, until it has all split on the ground. All 40 gallons. (or if the X tank is fill all 140 gallons)...

I've been running the Isspro fuel level sensor for 10+ years in my cross tank... B100, B99, B20, Kero, anything you can think of as a fuel has been in that tank. That sensor has worked flawlessly. Honestly it is the bread and butter of Isspro production. That part alone is worth the piece.

I dont have one in the Excursion. If I get a production one, the one in my pickup will go in the Excursion.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Why buy a new tank? Put a cap on the sump line. If you ever need to drop your tank in the future, it'll be 10x easier to drain.

because the sump is starting to seep a little and usually a seep is followed by a leak. Id rather just do away with it all. Plus, if I add this to my tank then there will never be any reason to drop the tank. There will be no factory foot to fix when it breaks and the in tank mods will already be done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.