RSK planned?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I need to do an RSK on my '68 Chevy (sitting on a '97 F350 chassis) - and I need to keep the lift as low as possible because the cab ended up sitting a bit higher than what I wanted - but I needed to do it in order to get the body lines to all line up and mount nicely. Its definitely shaping up to be a winter project for me though....

genie144

Reaction score
I have a Dana 60 all cleaned up, resealed and repainted now. I will be buying parts for Cary either way I go with on all of this. I just have not figured it all out yet on how I want to go. You, Cat and Brad are the reason I decided to go hunt down a Dana 60.

Tom
And it is purrrtyy.... With my '96, the RSK was always on my list but I didn't like any of the kits due to the bumper issue. I think if someone had a RSK option that did not require cutting the bumper it would out sell all others 2-1.

Sam

Tom S

Reaction score
I talked to the place I had in mind on the phone last night and sent in some drawings for a start. Right along the lines of that photo Cary posted with the boomerang shaped front brackets. He seemed interested and we talked about getting a junk yard frame for mockup.

I thought about this some more and if the lift was just even a tad less lift if possible that would be nice however I could be OK with dead level with SD springs front and rear and 4inch rear blocks. Now if the kit was 100% bolt on using SD Springs that would be the way to go for a lot more people then a kit that requires cutting off welded on brackets and rewelding plus notching the bumper. Thoughts?

I am going to look at the neighbors truck today to get an better idea on that post by Shannon. I am not leaning that was because virtually every truck with a tube step on it uses the rear spring hanger bolt to mount off of. Mine included.

Last edited:

zilla68

Reaction score
Tom,
I'm all about cutting welds etc. but I'm not confident in my welding abilities to sacrifice family riding in it, lol. I'd be all about a bolt on deal though.

quick derail, but what do you get with an rsk kit and stock springs, without doing the v-b codes? any improvement at all?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
IMO not worth the effort if you don't use SD springs..

Shannon never explanded how he did his mod or provided pictures and hasn't posted since then...

Tom S

Reaction score
If the front SD springs are as nice as switching out the rears was to SD springs on mine I will be happy. I trust Cary on this if you are going to do the RSK invest in a set of SD springs.

FYI I am shipping off my track bar bracket today for mockup work on it.

Dirt_99

Reaction score
3 things I do not like personally about the SKY RSK. Number 1 being the having to cut and hack something that should come ready to go, paying $ for something that should be ready to go out of the box. Number 2 is the rear shackle, it hangs so low that is it unsightly in my opinion. Number 3 is the bumper notching, not at all appealing to me since I like clean lines. So for me, you order a powder coated rsk kit then hack it with a sawzall to make it work, not at all appealing in my world. So if there was a way around everything that I listed, I am all for it.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
The idea of being able to maintain the powdercoat finish is really nice other then maybe a couple of short stitch welds if you want in a concealed area. I had not thought about it but the RSK powdercoated in black chrome to match my differential cover might look cool on the front of the truck

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
3 things I do not like personally about the SKY RSK. Number 1 being the having to cut and hack something that should come ready to go, paying $ for something that should be ready to go out of the box. Number 2 is the rear shackle, it hangs so low that is it unsightly in my opinion. Number 3 is the bumper notching, not at all appealing to me since I like clean lines. So for me, you order a powder coated rsk kit then hack it with a sawzall to make it work, not at all appealing in my world. So if there was a way around everything that I listed, I am all for it.

But isn't all of that only necessary if you want to use the RSK with SD springs? If you install the RSK as originally intended - I don't think you need to do any of that. Remember - we are now taking an aftermarket modification and further modifying it to suite our needs.

Tom S

Reaction score
But isn't all of that only necessary if you want to use the RSK with SD springs? If you install the RSK as originally intended - I don't think you need to do any of that. Remember - we are now taking an aftermarket modification and further modifying it to suite our needs.

I think you are 100% correct. It is just time for a RSK kit built from the start to work with SD springs is what I am saying and wanting.

Putting B codes on the back was enough to convince me I want SD springs on the front.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I think you are 100% correct. It is just time for a RSK kit built from the start to work with SD springs is what I am saying and wanting.

Putting B codes on the back was enough to convince me I want SD springs on the front.

I completely understand what you want - in fact I'm looking for something similar - I want to use SD springs and I NEED to keep the height as low as I can because of the way the body needed to be mounted to the frame on my '68 Chevy project.

Tom S

Reaction score
Yes, Tuscon it sounds like he might have a Phoenix truck lined up for mockup. I am going to pull the bumper off mine probably so we can cross check some measurements.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yes, Tuscon it sounds like he might have a Phoenix truck lined up for mockup. I am going to pull the bumper off mine probably so we can cross check some measurements.

When you do that - I could use a double check on the frame that I am straightening at the moment.....

Tom S

Reaction score
Jason same here or make a post with what you need for measurements.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
HRT, if you need any measurements, send me a pm with what you need

Jason same here or make a post with what you need for measurements.

I'll get some pics and dimensions I am looking for up over the weekend. I started the frame swap on the '68 - and once I had the body on it I realized the front of the frame was tweaked - thanks to the use of chains, ratchet binder, and a porta power - I now have it close - but I want to finish dialing it in so I can finish up the front cab mounts and drop the engine in.

Tom S

Reaction score
That is a pretty healthy piece to take out of the flange of the frame. I am glad you tracked down those photos though. I have made my mind up to accept some lift up front to be closer to level with the rear. I also ordered the SD springs today so it is game on. Next up is measuring up a couple of trucks.

Members online

No members online now.