RSK planned?

newman

Reaction score
There was a local guy who did a RSK with SD axles and springs. I didn't get underneith(I was "working") it to give a good inspection but what i did see looked pretty kosher. IDK if the spring width is wider on a SD or not.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think springs are the same width but with a different design and a lot better springs bushing. I think those spring bushings are part of the better ride myself.

Tom S

Reaction score
I want to thank Peroni who is jumping in to supply info like this!

Attachments

• frame holes.JPG
    frame holes.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 92
  • left side frame.jpg
    left side frame.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 92

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Bushings have nothing to do with the ride quality its having better spring rates and having the axle closer to the center of the springs that makes a RS kit SD swap work.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would agree that those have a lot larger role then the larger bushings.

Reaction score
Had to come over here and see what you guys are working on. Peroni and I have been discussing this for a couple of years. I have a lot of the layout done then life got in the way. Maybe I'll get motivated again now. I planned on making sure the axle was in the stock location for and aft and the bumper was in the stock location. I planned to have tow points or a front receiver be part of the package too. I do agree with a comment earlier in the thread about the way the shackles hang down, I don't like it much but not sure if it can be eliminated. Either the frame has to be notched, offset shackles used or the springs moved laterally. Or just live with it. Really glad to be talking about this again.

Garbage Truck Mechanic

Tom S

Reaction score
Had to come over here and see what you guys are working on. Peroni and I have been discussing this for a couple of years. I have a lot of the layout done then life got in the way. Maybe I'll get motivated again now. I planned on making sure the axle was in the stock location for and aft and the bumper was in the stock location. I planned to have tow points or a front receiver be part of the package too. I do agree with a comment earlier in the thread about the way the shackles hang down, I don't like it much but not sure if it can be eliminated. Either the frame has to be notched, offset shackles used or the springs moved laterally. Or just live with it. Really glad to be talking about this again.

Garbage Truck Mechanic

I am very happy to see that you have joined up over here. Peroni has been sharing some stuff that is very helpful. If I can help in anyway to get the information you have posted please let me know.

Welcome to the site.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Following...

My dad is in the process of swapping to 01 axles since one of his rear bearing went at finally at 315K and took the housing/hub with it. It's on an F350. He's about got the rear done, then doing the front later on. The truck has a 6" lift and rides like hell. Eventually I'm going to buy it back from him (he bought it from me about 5 years ago). When I have a chance, whether it be before I get it back or not, it's going back to near stock height and putting in SD springs and an RSK.

I really don't like the idea of the RSK raising the front so high either. I'm with you Tom in that with the body lines on these trucks, dead knuts levels doesn't look right and gives it a cali lean. So if you gotta raise the back up 1" to 1 1/2" to get than look, then it's doable. Bout 8 years ago, I put replacement 2.5" Tuff Country "leveling" springs on my old F350 CC. It raised it up more than 2.5" cause the stock front springs were so beat down and it made it nearly perfectly level using a tape measure. I think the rear wheel well opening was 1/2" higher but looked like the front end was higher than the back because of the body lines. I had an old set of rear F250 springs at the house so I pulled out the stock 1" bottom "overload" spring in the pack. Intalled into my spring packs, which raised the rear up to 1 1/2" higher than the front. Had the exact look I wanted.

Since then I've kept that 1 1/2" difference from rear to front no matter what on either SD's or OBS's. That looks perfect to me.

Tom S

Reaction score
It looks like tow hooks might be able to be worked into the design as well.

Reaction score
Good to hear on the tow hooks. I was actually looking at a tow shackle similar to what the H3 Hummer knockoffs have on them (the only worthwhile part on the whole thing maybe?) I was at the wire rope and rigging store.

I didn't get to do the photos last weekend I was only home one day and had a lot of busted sh** to get together. I'll be 7daysx14hrs for a few days now. Next time I'm concous and it is daylight I'll get out all of my work I did and get it to you guys.

Parky50

Reaction score
Hey guy's... just popping in from the Colorado Power Stroke Club... Thanks Tom S.

I'm very interested in the new RSK design for our OBS trucks. So from reading thus far in looks like new springs front & rear will be needed to get the most bang for the buck correct? Does anybody have the correct spring years/models or part # needed for the swap. I would like to have them bought and ready to go when the new RSK comes available. :toast:

Here is the front stuff I ordered. If look in the sponsor section go to Sunrise Ford.

W704660-5426 list 18.50 sell 13.87 ea
Two-Front leaf front nuts.N807659-S441 list 3.00 sell 2.25 ea
Two-Front leaf rear shackle boltsW500593-S439 list 7.20 sell 5.40 ea
Two-Front leaf rear shackle nuts.N800237-S301 list 3.37 sell 2.53 ea
Two-V code leaf springss..........2C3Z-5310-HA list 196.33 sell 147.25 ea

free shipping quote # 243744

I think someone else pointed you to the rear part numbers.

Used is also and option just check the door sticker for the spring codes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom S

Reaction score
Good to hear on the tow hooks. I was actually looking at a tow shackle similar to what the H3 Hummer knockoffs have on them (the only worthwhile part on the whole thing maybe?) I was at the wire rope and rigging store.

I didn't get to do the photos last weekend I was only home one day and had a lot of busted sh** to get together. I'll be 7daysx14hrs for a few days now. Next time I'm concous and it is daylight I'll get out all of my work I did and get it to you guys.

I would be willing photo or scan anything you want if you want to snail mail it to me and I will mail it back.

Tom S

Reaction score
Shawn that is great link from old BigBopper. That is darn similar to some ideas I was kicking around with Nick yesterday. I think that design uses all factory holes even. T hanks! I will pull some of those photos into here at some point just for discussion.

Tom S

Reaction score
Traded a message with Trevor and that might look not all that far from what he is looking at making for us.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Just copying in a few of the photos to make the thread easier to follow for everyone.

Those photos are from BigBooper and look like 2007 vintage. I posted them up as I think the design on the side plates is going to be right along similar lines on this project. I need to double check but I think that he all used all factory bolt holes so no drilling. Thoughts guys?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Tom this will work to address the people not wanting to cut the bumper but nothing as far as lowering the truck..thats the problem that IMO isn't going to be resolved and have adequate up travel..which is required for ride quality. Maybe Trevor can come up with a way..I just don't see how..