S364.5 on 7.3

knuckleup83

Reaction score
LOL I was curious what you meant by washing state.

I wasn't sure where they put the factory EBP sensor to be honest.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
LOL I was curious what you meant by washing state.

I wasn't sure where they put the factory EBP sensor to be honest.

Front of motor attached to the HPOP gear cover. Has a tube that goes down to the passenger exhaust manifold. They get clogged easily so I clean mine every year to ensure its in good working order.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I really like the fact that a significant number of people commenting in this thread have straight drives. What works on an auto doesn't always work on a stick.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I really like the fact that a significant number of people commenting in this thread have straight drives. What works on an auto doesn't always work on a stick.

Nothing works right on a stick lol....

You can lock autos. Or at least mine does in the tow tune. Stay locked even at 30 lugging through town. But i usually tow in the race file...30mph scrubbing the tires lol

ja_cain

Reaction score
Nothing works right on a stick lol....

You can lock autos. Or at least mine does in the tow tune. Stay locked even at 30 lugging through town. But i usually tow in the race file...30mph scrubbing the tires lol
Don't be such a buzz kill Ty. Lol! Autos don't work right, according to Charles. Lol! You just have to make it think it's a stick. Lmfao!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
For some of you guys running the 38r's , what housings does everyone seem to like the most? Are guys seeing pretty high egt's/backpressure numbers with the smaller housings by chance?

Swaan, are you seeing good egts/backpressure numbers with the 1.00 housing on your turbo?

Manual truck, Matt's hot street tune, 1.0 housing, , I can get 1300, with 10k or more on the pin.
Drop back to his tow tune, flatfootted, any weight, 1200*, tops. Of course, when rpms get down around 1800, I'm downshifting. Sometimes, even sooner, depending on load and grade.
The auto truck runs just a touch hotter, maybe 100-200 degrees. Same turbo, similar injectors.

One of these days, I'll swap in my 1.15 housing, just to see the difference

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I have ran the 38r and it spooled great and worked well but.....egts were always an issue. I tow heavy and daily drive and for a daily driver the 38r is fine. With my current setup the S364.5 SXE with the .91 exhaust housing has been the best I have ran to date. Egts are low and it pulls like a freight train. sometimes big turbos cause more problems then anything. Trust me I know from experience. I think this new line of Borg Warner turbos has a lot of potential and parts and housing available is endless.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have ran the 38r and it spooled great and worked well but.....egts were always an issue. I tow heavy and daily drive and for a daily driver the 38r is fine. With my current setup the S364.5 SXE with the .91 exhaust housing has been the best I have ran to date. Egts are low and it pulls like a freight train. sometimes big turbos cause more problems then anything. Trust me I know from experience. I think this new line of Borg Warner turbos has a lot of potential and parts and housing available is endless.
I think this turbo with some 250/200's and Charles limited pw file would be something to try. Just wondering if it would run even cooler based on his comments.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CarportMechanic

Reaction score

CJ, I believe I read your running some 175/80's? Is this correct?

Id be curious to see some dyno numbers with 38R vs 64.5SXE. Be interesting to see the power curve differences.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Yes PIS 175/80's. And dyno numbers don't mean much if your egts and back pressure are through the roof. All about efficeintcy

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yes PIS 175/80's. And dyno numbers don't mean much if your egts and back pressure are through the roof. All about efficeintcy

That's why it's always important to datalog this stuff at the same time. That is what I plan on doing if I ever get around to it.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Manual truck, Matt's hot street tune, 1.0 housing, , I can get 1300, with 10k or more on the pin.
Drop back to his tow tune, flatfootted, any weight, 1200*, tops. Of course, when rpms get down around 1800, I'm downshifting. Sometimes, even sooner, depending on load and grade.
The auto truck runs just a touch hotter, maybe 100-200 degrees. Same turbo, similar injectors.

One of these days, I'll swap in my 1.15 housing, just to see the difference

Good useful info as usual! I can't wait to try Matt's tunes on my stock truck. Btw, where in Michigan are you from (you are from Michigan right?)?

Swaan

Reaction score
So quick update, got my testing guages mocked up in my truck and then it started to rain again. Never bothered to make a video as truck just breaks the tires loose in anything but 5th gear. I will make a video later when it dries up.

With the half ass attempt to watch the guages and keep the throttle pined while trying to keep the truck on the road I managed to see 42 psi boost and 55 psi drive pressure.
Boost and drive are basically 1.1 up to about 30 psi then drive creeps up.
Overall im thinking the 74mm turbine in the new sxe turbos would have less drive pressure over my 68mm turbine.
Curious to see thou as I'm running a 1.00 housing. The 74mm turbine with the .91 housing might not be to far from my readings now . Mmmmmmmm
Food for thought.

I'm willing to trade a little high rpm back presure for better low rpm response and DD manners.

I do know my old s366 pulled a touch harder in the upper rpms then my 364.5. I'm contributing that to the bigger turbine flowing more, hence less back pressure. But it also drove like **** down low go figure. Lol

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Good useful info as usual! I can't wait to try Matt's tunes on my stock truck. Btw, where in Michigan are you from (you are from Michigan right?)?

I'm between lansing and grand rapids, but I cover a lot of the east coast and central states, depending on what I'm into, lol.

knuckleup83

Reaction score
Awesome info. Thanks guys!

Swaan how do you think the 80mm turbine wheel options will perform with the .91 or 1.00?

Swaan

Reaction score
I think the newer sxe 74mm or 80 as you call it , with the .91 housing would have similar spool up characteristics to mine.

I do know that the sxe 74/80 turbine is unclipped and responds better then the older 74/80 in the box s366..

As far as flow is concerned I'm sure the 74/80 would be way better then the 68/76 on the top end.

Tsgs69400

Reaction score

Are you running the larger or smaller turbine wheel? Thanks for all the good info everyone!

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Thanks for the test results Swaan! That is exactly what i need.
I think the 80 turbine vs the 76 with the .91 and an external gate is what i am going to go with. I will eventually change to 238/80 hybrids and get some corrected tuning.
Should work out to make a great setup overall.

Swaan

Reaction score
No problem!
Cjfarm is running the bigger turbine in his 364.5 with the .91.

Honestly I don't think a gate is really needed with 238/80 hybrids.
As long as you plan to run the bigger 74/80 TW should be fine.

Even my readings are not that bad and that's with the smaller wheel.

Just to bring things into perspective, the stock twin turbos on a 6.4 with a hot tune are over 80 psi drive pressure. Those trucks sound like they got a potato shoved up the exaust pipe just leaving a light. Lmao!!

Latest posts

Members online