S366 / s483 compound build under way [Pic heavy]

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I feel that I've been deceived and let down. Everyone in this thread keeps talking about how clean this truck runs - even the op called it "squeaky clean" - Does it black out the sky at WOT - no - but it does smoke. It is cleaner than some for sure - but it is a long way from squeaky clean. IMHO - squeaky clean is nothing at all visible period, ever. Really clean is 1/10 or less of that black cloud that came pouring out when it was punched on the dyno and cleans up to nothing. I'm not saying that this level of smoke output at WOT is too much, but it could be cleaner if we want to go around beating our chests about how clean something runs at WOT.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way - the truck sounds excellent - looks like it should be real strong, and with some more oil and tuning tweaks has the real possibility of being "squeaky clean" if that is what you are after (excellent goal BTW). I like what I see - with some tuning work that tow tune should easily be really clean and 420ish HP - which I recommend being about the limit for a tow tune simply because the rest of the drive line will hate life enough at that level and towing.

Jason

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I feel that I've been deceived and let down. Everyone in this thread keeps talking about how clean this truck runs - even the op called it "squeaky clean" - Does it black out the sky at WOT - no - but it does smoke. It is cleaner than some for sure - but it is a long way from squeaky clean. IMHO - squeaky clean is nothing at all visible period, ever. Really clean is 1/10 or less of that black cloud that came pouring out when it was punched on the dyno and cleans up to nothing. I'm not saying that this level of smoke output at WOT is too much, but it could be cleaner if we want to go around beating our chests about how clean something runs at WOT.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way - the truck sounds excellent - looks like it should be real strong, and with some more oil and tuning tweaks has the real possibility of being "squeaky clean" if that is what you are after (excellent goal BTW). I like what I see - with some tuning work that tow tune should easily be really clean and 420ish HP - which I recommend being about the limit for a tow tune simply because the rest of the drive line will hate life enough at that level and towing.

Jason

Where'd you see the vid, J? I can't find it in here

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score

Jason

Couldn't agree more...

Milford

Reaction score
Shouldn't having a better HPOP clean up a lot of it before you get into the nitty gritty of the tuning?

That thing sounds awesome and looks clean!

V-Ref

Reaction score

Jason

Jason-Didn't hear any chest beating here.... But it does sound like something hit a nerve with you though:poke:

I'm sure the black puff during the intial part of the run can be tuned out some...

If you've got a "cleaner" compound vid to post....please share...and the the details of the setup/combo would be great. I'd recommend you post it in your responsive turbo thread...keep the OPs thread on track.

You got some swagger on here...folks respect your experience....

Not trying to be a dik...but that's a clean running truck....anyway you look at it. Just sayin...:ford:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Jason-Didn't hear any chest beating here.... But it does sound like something hit a nerve with you though:poke:

I'm sure the black puff during the intial part of the run can be tuned out some...

If you've got a "cleaner" compound vid to post....please share...and the the details of the setup/combo would be great. I'd recommend you post it in your responsive turbo thread...keep the OPs thread on track.

Not trying to be a dik...but that's a clean running truck....anyway you look at it. Just sayin...:ford:
You apparently have never seen a clean truck then... My 76 charger did the same thing with 350/200s. :doh:......

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

Many people including yourself indicated how clean this truck runs - that is not the case - in fact it looks like most trucks running compounds - big puff of smoke and then it goes to a steady haze. Its not clean burning - not even close for the "tow tune" that the OP indicated it is. The nerve that was struck was the oversell of what was happening. I feel its my duty to the diesel community to point out that this is NOT clean. In fact I think its an excellent install under the hood - it runs and sounds fantastic - and I am not going to knock anything about the build itself - the only thing I am inclined to point out is that it is in fact not clean running when it is advertised so.

Yes - I agree that "puff" as you put it can be tuned out - that is part of dialing in a setup like this - but as it sits its still not clean burning. - Its definitely not squeaky clean, its not even really clean. Its just average when it comes to smoke output with compounds. The rest of that smoke can also be easily tuned out with a set of compounds like this too. Much like I indicated in my post where I responded to the videos.

I don't have a video of a cleaner set of compounds handy - and I can tell you that I have never attempted to build a "clean" set of compounds on the 7.3 platform - but if you look at the first picture in the first post of the thread you referenced - you might find the pair of turbos that I have that I know is fairly (not squeaky) clean burning on another platform. That happens to be a GT45 feeding a 68mm modified VGT. It would be a MUCH smaller puff of smoke and then cleans up completely - and that puff would only be if you caught everything just right - most of the time it didn't even have that. The new setup going in the same truck is actually remarkably similar to the OP's with and S483/96 batmo atmosphere feeding a 72mm modified VGT. I don't expect the new setup to be as clean - but I'm going to try my best.

I'm not trying to be a dik either - but that is NOT a clean truck as advertised multiple times. It has about average smoke output for a hot tow tune on compounds - I've seen some worse - I've seen some better. With everyone pushing for clean running trucks and not having smokey pigs - I think its relevant that we clearly define what is clean and what is not. Clean is when the general soccer mom minivan driving public can't see the exhaust - at no point during the run from the time the throttle was pegged until the run was over did the smoke clear up.

This is the last I'll post about this in this thread - I don't want to muck up the OP's thread. I really do think this is a well built setup - I just felt I was really led astray by all the talk of how clean running it is. Its a super clean install - not so much on the clean running part. That is why I said what I did - its not "clean". Obviously this discrepancy is because "clean" is qualitative and not quantitative.

I had some technical issues replying - so while I went back to work I had time to think of 7.3 compound videos that I consider "clean"

Exhibit 1 - Blowby's 590hp???? emissions tune - this is a snap test - see its a little puff and clears right away and is gone:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is Aggie at TSD's truck at the drag strip - for maximum power - I would have had more fuel - but this is fairly clean (puff at the beginning).

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

There are two examples. Those trucks are clean. Not squeaky clean, but clean.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Evidently not...I bow to your squeaky clean greatness.

How much power did your 76 charged 350/200s make when it was "clean"?

Never put it on the dyno after the turbo and inj change but it made 593 with the small setup and deffanatly ran better with this setup... When my truck was clean that was on my drag tune...

V-Ref

Reaction score
Many people including yourself indicated how clean this truck runs - that is not the case - in fact it looks like most trucks running compounds - big puff of smoke and then it goes to a steady haze. Its not clean burning - not even close for the "tow tune" that the OP indicated it is. The nerve that was struck was the oversell of what was happening. I feel its my duty to the diesel community to point out that this is NOT clean. In fact I think its an excellent install under the hood - it runs and sounds fantastic - and I am not going to knock anything about the build itself - the only thing I am inclined to point out is that it is in fact not clean running when it is advertised so.

Yes - I agree that "puff" as you put it can be tuned out - that is part of dialing in a setup like this - but as it sits its still not clean burning. - Its definitely not squeaky clean, its not even really clean. Its just average when it comes to smoke output with compounds. The rest of that smoke can also be easily tuned out with a set of compounds like this too. Much like I indicated in my post where I responded to the videos.

I don't have a video of a cleaner set of compounds handy - and I can tell you that I have never attempted to build a "clean" set of compounds on the 7.3 platform - but if you look at the first picture in the first post of the thread you referenced - you might find the pair of turbos that I have that I know is fairly (not squeaky) clean burning on another platform. That happens to be a GT45 feeding a 68mm modified VGT. It would be a MUCH smaller puff of smoke and then cleans up completely - and that puff would only be if you caught everything just right - most of the time it didn't even have that. The new setup going in the same truck is actually remarkably similar to the OP's with and S483/96 batmo atmosphere feeding a 72mm modified VGT. I don't expect the new setup to be as clean - but I'm going to try my best.

I'm not trying to be a dik either - but that is NOT a clean truck as advertised multiple times. It has about average smoke output for a hot tow tune on compounds - I've seen some worse - I've seen some better. With everyone pushing for clean running trucks and not having smokey pigs - I think its relevant that we clearly define what is clean and what is not. Clean is when the general soccer mom minivan driving public can't see the exhaust - at no point during the run from the time the throttle was pegged until the run was over did the smoke clear up.

This is the last I'll post about this in this thread - I don't want to muck up the OP's thread. I really do think this is a well built setup - I just felt I was really led astray by all the talk of how clean running it is. Its a super clean install - not so much on the clean running part. That is why I said what I did - its not "clean". Obviously this discrepancy is because "clean" is qualitative and not quantitative.

I had some technical issues replying - so while I went back to work I had time to think of 7.3 compound videos that I consider "clean"

Exhibit 1 - Blowby's 590hp???? emissions tune - this is a snap test - see its a little puff and clears right away and is gone:

YouTube Video

Here is Aggie at TSD's truck at the drag strip - for maximum power - I would have had more fuel - but this is fairly clean (puff at the beginning).

YouTube Video

There are two examples. Those trucks are clean. Not squeaky clean, but clean.

Those are two very clean trucks. Mine is not, was interested in learning more. Thanks.

Back to the OPs thread.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The.truck.has NOT been tuned. It.doesnt.matter what anybody thinks,.op, included.since swamps.will.tune the truck. Im sure.they'll adjust the.fuel.tables.

Fwiw, I.wouldnt.want.that much smoke in anything.but a.race.tune,.if.that.

OSCS

Reaction score
I was just surprised to see it at a haze as opposed to it a black cloud this early in.. my tunning is horrible so good luck to you

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I've learned that tuning is the hardest thing to get done and done right On these trucks. Compounds are cake walk compared to getting someone to tune your ****..

Latest posts

Members online