Shocks

swinky

Reaction score
This is how the rancho's made it on the list. I originially had just the 5100s or 2.0s. I dont expect shocks to fully cure wheel hop but they should correct? A little price diff from 2.0s to 5100s.

Ranchos on 9 will cure more wheel hop than anything else. They're not the best shocks but I've seen many people have good luck pulling/racing with the ranchos on 9. I'd still rather have the better riding fox shocks and just strap the front if needed.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The problem I've found with Rancho adjustables, and other people as well, is that they never last long enough to really get your monies worth. Cranked up, they blow seals very easily.

swinky

Reaction score
The problem I've found with Rancho adjustables, and other people as well, is that they never last long enough to really get your monies worth. Cranked up, they blow seals very easily.

I believe it. I've never run them myself. My dad has the rs7000s and likes them.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want a 5100 in the front with a 2.0 in the rear.

The fox shocks in all 4 corners ride great. You don't need the extra stiffness up front of the bilstein at all (unless for some reason you want the front to be tighter)

Ranchos are out of the question. I won't even sell them. If a customer wants them, and is stuck on them, I recommend another vendor. With the numerous amounts of blown seals and selectors breaking/seizing it's just not worth it.

On a puller or racer strictly than maybe, as you will not be constantly messing with them or cycling the suspension like a dd.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
So in the case of a lower mile truck the 2.0s might be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
It was stated that the firmness of the bilsteins may not be desirable unless one would want to tighten up the truck some. So , in my case of a 40k mile truck that has no steering play just worn out shocks it should do just what I want- the soft ride.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Maybe tighten wasn't the best word. Your shocks will not "tighten" anything as far as loose parts.... If you feel the factory shocks or even an aftermarket shock that is on but worn out has given you a "loose" or unplanted ride; symptoms like excessive body roll, bouncing on a flat road, excessive bounce or shake when going over bumps. A new shock, (not just a 5100 or quick rebounding shock) will make the the truck feel more planted and controlled, hence why I used the word tighter.

Yes, if your looking for a soft ride, I would push you heavily away from the 5100 as it is a "stiffer" shock

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Rancho 7000MT would be a better comparison to Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 wouldn't it? I have seen quite a few good reviews from the 7000MT, It is 90 day ride free guarantee, so it would be worth a try if you wanted.

The bilsteins I have seen the comment they are too stiff numerous times, and I think the Rancho took the 7000 and dropped the pressure about 50psi to combat this. Though I haven't seen that claim, I bet that is why they did it, would make sense to anyways.

Fox 2.0 I have seen great reviews. If I ever get money ahead I would like to try the 7000 myself and if I don't like I would order the Fox.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Rancho 7000MT would be a better comparison to Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 5100 wouldn't it? I have seen quite a few good reviews from the 7000MT, It is 90 day ride free guarantee, so it would be worth a try if you wanted.

The bilsteins I have seen the comment they are too stiff numerous times, and I think the Rancho took the 7000 and dropped the pressure about 50psi to combat this. Though I haven't seen that claim, I bet that is why they did it, would make sense to anyways.

Fox 2.0 I have seen great reviews. If I ever get money ahead I would like to try the 7000 myself and if I don't like I would order the Fox.

Dropping pressure isn't the cure. Valving is what needs to be addressed when you are looking to soften/stiffen ride as well as how fast you want rebound or compression to react.

For me, a "try before you buy" makes me think of bullydog. I don't need to try it to know it won't meet my standards. And my time is far more valuable than the $100 I will save on a set of shocks.

I've been through 7 different shocks options on a truck before with nothin changed besides the shock itself.
I can tell you some will offer a ride that is much more friendly to the everyday driver and some are aimed more at the Offroad user.
Having done this, I have my reasons why I do not sell rancho.

Last edited:

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Dropping pressure isn't the cure. Valving is what needs to be addressed when you are looking to soften/stiffen ride as well as how fast you want rebound or compression to react.

For me, a "try before you buy" makes me think of bullydog. I don't need to try it to know it won't meet my standards. And my time is far more valuable than the $100 I will save on a set of shocks.

I've been through 7 different shocks options on a truck before with nothin changed besides the shock itself.
I can tell you some will offer a ride that is much more friendly to the everyday driver and some are aimed more at the Offroad user.
Having done this, I have my reasons why I do not sell rancho.

So you have tried the RS7000MT right?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
So you have tried the RS7000MT right?

No, the 7000 is merely a replica of the bilstein 5100. And offered at nearly the same price.

I've ran in order.

Rancho RS5000
Rancho RS9000
Bilstein 5100
Fox 2.0 IFP
Bilstein 5160
Icon 2.0
Fox 2.0 Resi

All were ran on an 05 ccsb F250 with an icon 4.5"
All variables being the same gave me a pretty good platform to judge the characteristics of each shock.

This along with the countless other trucks I have installed shocks on gives me a great basis for the results and quality of each shock. Not to mention I deal with each of these companies daily and have had numerous conversations with their techs and engineers.

This being my opinion so take it for what it's worth, what I say doesn't mean I'm right or that you have to agree with me. Just trying to help other members from having to buy something twice or be out more money/time than they need to.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from. But comparing a twin tube or triple tube to a mono-tube is kinda apples to oranges wouldn't you agree?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from. But comparing a twin tube or triple tube to a mono-tube is kinda apples to oranges wouldn't you agree?

I would agree. But the shocks that were tested and compared are all mono-charged. Some are mono tube some tri tube.

Last edited:

smokinstroker

Reaction score
They are mono-charged. The 5000 is a twin tube and the 9000 is a tri tube design. Not real sure where your going with the tube design discussion, as it still does not change the result in ride quality after testing.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
I have to say I like this thread overall ! Glad I'm seeing man views on this topic as these are the exact items I've been looking into but to scare to try anything for fear I will not like them. Now I am not lifted, stock size tires still to. Just my factory shocks are shot. My dually now bounces down the road. And does a little wheel hop when you hit a bump, and sled pulling it hops badly. So based on all this , and that I tow pretty heavy when I do tow I am very interesting in the foxes.

randy_4life

Reaction score
HMMMMM.... im sensing that its time to change mine out to FOX's I hate the way mine ride and I don't even know what the are the previous owner put them on. I jus had the front end redone at a local shop and didn't even think to change the shocks :(

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I have to say I like this thread overall ! Glad I'm seeing man views on this topic as these are the exact items I've been looking into but to scare to try anything for fear I will not like them. Now I am not lifted, stock size tires still to. Just my factory shocks are shot. My dually now bounces down the road. And does a little wheel hop when you hit a bump, and sled pulling it hops badly. So based on all this , and that I tow pretty heavy when I do tow I am very interesting in the foxes.

If you are towing, have weight in the bed etc, the bilsteins would so work great. That small amount of weight lets the bilsteins ride pretty nice. It's unloaded where they show the harshness.

Not knocking on bilsteins at all in my posts, if anyone was thinking that.

Members online

No members online now.