Test mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
heard wayne had good results from changing his intake.

Wayne

Reaction score
Below is a pic of the intake I've been running for all my turbo tests up until tonight
2013-02-05_12-21-15_655.jpg

I should have thought of it before, but I never bothered to measure the ID of this elbow off the original AFE stage II intake since it was already "upgraded". This little guy is a restriction on a stock turbo, let alone, the 72.4 I'm running now. It was probably 63ish to begin with, but over time, with a tight hose clamp, I'm sure it shrunk a bit. I couldn't have changed it half way through the atmospheric turbo testing, or it would have skewed the data, but either way, I wish I figured it out sooner.
2013-02-26_18-41-18_823.jpg

I had to go back to the dyno tonight for new VGT baseline runs that included the new elbow I'll be running from here on out. The filter minder has never even moved on me until tonight once the big elbow was installed. Now it's nearing the red zone.
2013-02-26_18-34-24_271.jpg

I also picked up roughly 30 horsepower, and 4-5 psi of boost on the atmospheric turbo alone, just by eliminating this restriction. Moral of the story: Just because your filter minder hasn't moved, doesn't mean you don't have an intake restriction worth worrying about. Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the No Limit intake is offered with the elbow option. It has a reducer to fit the turbo. I suspect my results are atypically high, as I'm running with more fuel and air than the average guy, but still, to immediately pick up that kind of power validates the importance of having all the little things looked over.

I would encourage anyone running a larger than stock atmospheric turbo to get at least as good as the No Limit intake with the upgraded elbow, or an equivalent. While mine is technically not the No Limit brand, it is what the no limit is based off of, and functionally the same, just less pretty.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yep same thing, mine is just a bit more refined ;)

Wayne

Reaction score
You mean it doesn't use self tapping screws, and silicone to hold in the MAF sensor? LOL Some day I'll put on some big boy pants, and get the nice one you offer. Until then, I say screw it, and glue it!

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Stupid power gain from an intake upgrade.

At 2500rpm gain was 10hp.

At 2750rpm gain was 30hp.

At 3000 rpm gain was 60hp.

At 3500 rpm gain was 106hp!!!!

No Limit intake and Elite Diesel boot FTW!

Attachments

• Air Filter Dyno Graph.jpg
    Air Filter Dyno Graph.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 131

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, it is nice, cheap power. The 30ish I was referring to was peak to peak on a similar match up. I didn't even notice the higher end at first because I was so excited for just the peak to peak, and got distracted. I've hit higher numbers on both the before and after elbow upgrade runs, but these are good averages. My best run tonight was a good bit better, but got started at a different RPM, so we left it out to keep the figures realistic.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
No sh#t. I never would have guessed there would be that much difference.

i think the uncorrected numbers are so drastic due to the efficiency of the atmo turbo once it was breathing well. i talked to my partner about it a bit and he said he has seen the same thing that wayne saw tonight. restriction keeps the turbo from pulling in the minder , unleash the restriction and it builds boost and starts pulling in the minder. crazy physics.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Stupid power gain from an intake upgrade.

At 2500rpm gain was 10hp.

At 2750rpm gain was 30hp.

At 3000 rpm gain was 60hp.

At 3500 rpm gain was 106hp!!!!

No Limit intake and Elite Diesel boot FTW!

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

B585Ford

Reaction score
i think the uncorrected numbers are so drastic due to the efficiency of the atmo turbo once it was breathing well. i talked to my partner about it a bit and he said he has seen the same thing that wayne saw tonight. restriction keeps the turbo from pulling in the minder , unleash the restriction and it builds boost and starts pulling in the minder. crazy physics.

Makes sense, I just never expected that big of a difference. It will be a while before my truck will see those kind of power levels, but at least I know I am already ahead of the game in the CAI department. My guess is that will help keep you even busier for quite a while. :rockon:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Makes sense, I just never expected that big of a difference. It will be a while before my truck will see those kind of power levels, but at least I know I am already ahead of the game in the CAI department. My guess is that will help keep you even busier for quite a while. :rockon:

i hope so. it was born from necessity, me, erik, and settlemire were the first with high powers in street trucks.. we all learned what was necessary. haller addressed it and settlemire and i perfected it.

tensixniner

Reaction score
What does the reducer bushing look like? Any pics of it?

Similar to what the AFE Stage 2 SI uses?

6.4psd916

Reaction score
That's crazy, almost makes me want to run my s&b then switch to no limit at the track tomorrow to see the difference. Good find Wayne.

Wayne

Reaction score
i hope so. it was born from necessity, me, erik, and settlemire were the first with high powers in street trucks.. we all learned what was necessary. haller addressed it and settlemire and i perfected it.
Close, but Erik & I built the original (the one on my truck now) back when he had me install the high powers. We tried modifying his AFE, then an S&B, but came up with this as everything else pulled in the filter minder. Haller's changed to a larger filter when the injectors went up in size. This style of intake addresses the most critcal function of avoiding pulling vacuum, and causing turbo damage, but I'm looking forward to when you release a heat shield for it if you're able to make one fit.

HD F250

Reaction score
WOW...great numbers and cheap HP upgrade that helps turbo's live longer as well. Win, Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online