Test mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
With kids and stuff tho it's hard I just worked a couple 75 hour weeks and I was over it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Crack85

Reaction score
With kids and stuff tho it's hard I just worked a couple 75 hour weeks and I was over it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yea. That's true. No kids here just an old lady. I would come out the field if I had kids. So I agree with u in that point.

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Worst part about this deal will definitely be time missed with the family. I have several tests in line, and after another 1500 miles this past weekend, and many more to come shortly, I've decided that one of those remote oil coolers will be on my to-test list. The truck has so much power, with a good balance on tuning, that egt's are less of a problem than Ect, and eot while towing up hills with cruise on at 80.. Hopefully a remote oil cooler will help with that.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Worst part about this deal will definitely be time missed with the family. I have several tests in line, and after another 1500 miles this past weekend, and many more to come shortly, I've decided that one of those remote oil coolers will be on my to-test list. The truck has so much power, with a good balance on tuning, that egt's are less of a problem than Ect, and eot while towing up hills with cruise on at 80.. Hopefully a remote oil cooler will help with that.

Good luck Wayne. Hope your new gig goes well.
I am definitely interested to see what you find with the oil cooler. Last weekend, I was having the same issue. I was grossing a little over 30k lbs and in the mountains, I did have to watch my EOTs (saw up to 216 so I was letting off to keep from going higher). ECT usually only got to 205-210 and EGTs never saw 1200.

Wayne

Reaction score
By way of a little bit of an update, Steve-o will be getting me a coolant filter in the next week or so as it has become a necessity. I don't know when it would work out to do a remote oil cooler test, but my relatively new one needs replaced again, and I want it to last this time. The BG cooling system sealer says only use 2 bottles for a system the size of the 6.4 setup, but I used 3. :doh: At least it has never used or leaked coolant :D Towing heavy for long distances shows enough discrepancy in coolant and oil temps that I'll feel a lot better about a new one in there when I have it apart at the end of the month for a ported intake test. I don't want to fill the new cooler with anything potentially destructive, (as in excess sealer) so I'll run the filter for a week or two before the new cooler goes in. Maybe Steve will chime in with some info, but I'm really liking what he has going on for the absolute performance version of the coolant filter head.

B585Ford

Reaction score
By way of a little bit of an update, Steve-o will be getting me a coolant filter in the next week or so as it has become a necessity. I don't know when it would work out to do a remote oil cooler test, but my relatively new one needs replaced again, and I want it to last this time. The BG cooling system sealer says only use 2 bottles for a system the size of the 6.4 setup, but I used 3. :doh: At least it has never used or leaked coolant :D Towing heavy for long distances shows enough discrepancy in coolant and oil temps that I'll feel a lot better about a new one in there when I have it apart at the end of the month for a ported intake test. I don't want to fill the new cooler with anything potentially destructive, (as in excess sealer) so I'll run the filter for a week or two before the new cooler goes in. Maybe Steve will chime in with some info, but I'm really liking what he has going on for the absolute performance version of the coolant filter head.

How big of temp differences are you seeing?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
and what is considered "acceptable difference" and what is considered "you should have it looked at or otherwise checked out checked out?"

Wayne

Reaction score
Just cruising around I usually see 8-15* difference once it's at full temp. When I'm steadily putting down a lot of power pulling a heavy trailer up a big long hill I see as much as 30* range, which means I have to pull over, and let her cool down a bit. Don't wanna get the oil past about 235, or it starts to cause problems. I don't know factory tolerances off hand, but I bet somebody here does. If you have a perfect cooler, it should keep the oil within no more than 20* difference, working the guts out of it. Cruising around I've never seen more than 10* difference on a new cooler fwiw.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Just cruising around I usually see 8-15* difference once it's at full temp. When I'm steadily putting down a lot of power pulling a heavy trailer up a big long hill I see as much as 30* range, which means I have to pull over, and let her cool down a bit. Don't wanna get the oil past about 235, or it starts to cause problems. I don't know factory tolerances off hand, but I bet somebody here does. If you have a perfect cooler, it should keep the oil within no more than 20* difference, working the guts out of it. Cruising around I've never seen more than 10* difference on a new cooler fwiw.

Thanks Wayne. I do some hot shotting so I routinely am towing 15k to 20k and occassionally a little more. I run very mild programs and I almost never see my EGTs get to 1200, my ECT gets up to about 205 to 207, but my EOT can get pretty warm when climbing long grades. Max EOTs I have seen is 216 to 218, but once I get to 209, I back out of the throttle and try to keep it in OD cause the higher the RPM, the higher my EOTs get (even though the EGTs run cooler in a lower gear). I was getting concerned my oil cooler was getting plugged since I don't have a coolant filter so seeing these numbers is comforting that what I see is "normal".

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, time to wrap up the test mule project as I no longer work at Elite, and am ready to sell the truck. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=776673#post776673
I did put a new oil cooler and all new coolant in it last week, but didn't get to install the absolute coolant filter as I have yet to see it. Oil temps are perfect now, and it's a towing animal. Even with the 110's and race tune the egt's are very tow friendly as long as I don't accelerate too quickly. I was hoping to do testing on Elite's ported intake manifold, but they have other priorities that take precedence over it. Oh, well.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I was hoping to do testing on Elite's ported intake manifold, but they have other priorities that take precedence over it. Oh, well.

yeah like a green truck thats been there for 2 years. i hope it takes precedence. :doh:

madman1234509

Reaction score
2 years..... crazy. Wayne, pretty crazy with what seemed like sudden changes. Leaving elite and slowing on the testing and now getting rid of the truck all together. Seems like a shame to see such a contributing member sell his sick truck. Good luck with what ever new may come man!

01PSD

Reaction score
2 years..... crazy. Wayne, pretty crazy with what seemed like sudden changes. Leaving elite and slowing on the testing and now getting rid of the truck all together. Seems like a shame to see such a contributing member sell his sick truck. Good luck with what ever new may come man!

Kind of interested as to how things went down. It sucks for sure but you gotta do whatcha gotta do!

Danny26

Reaction score
You gonna get another truck Wayne? Would love to see what you would do with a 6.7!

madman1234509

Reaction score
Yea, i wasnt implying there was anything wrong. Just a lot of changes in a short time. Seemed like one day he was building a beast of a dpc truck, and the next he had a new job :p...I hope everything goes well and that you stay active here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online