thoughts

OSCS

Reaction score
Take the whole front clip off and the engine and tranny will go in together. Its not an easy task any way you go about it.

Whole clip is out, that's how I got the engine out. It just seems like there is enough roof to slide the tranny and engine in the bay as one peice but I've talked to a couple of people that have done it before and both say to install them seperately. I was hoping to hear from someone that has done it both ways with pros and cons so I can weight them out for my application.

OSCS

Reaction score
-4F62-4C12-AD78-C42085F58FC7-2480-000002FB31D6957D.jpg

-F683-45A9-A2E3-1AD9241D24B1-2480-000002FB25000D9B.jpg

V-Ref

Reaction score
You've got be stoked at the idea of having your rig back running soon.

If I'm allowed to spend your money....had you given thought to putting Matt's stage 1 cam with a welded cam gear on the stock forged rod motor your swapping in? Maybe even squeeze in a melling lpop?

OSCS

Reaction score
You've got be stoked at the idea of having your rig back running soon.

If I'm allowed to spend your money....had you given thought to putting Matt's stage 1 cam with a welded cam gear on the stock forged rod motor your swapping in? Maybe even squeeze in a melling lpop?

You have no idea how ready I am to be up and running again! I talked with kris about the stage 1 and His thoughts are that it's not worth the extra cash. i havent really asked anyone elses opinon on the subject but have heard of the benefits. If he wants to sell me his for cheap I MIGHT consider the cam. Haven't really thought about the melling but to be honest it's because I'm not sure I want to crack that seal on the oil pan.. With only 70k on the "new" motor and all the horror stories I've heard about the sealant getting into the threads I've kind of been avoiding the subject

OSCS

Reaction score
Not to mention I have a BTS on the way so I'm excited to see how much better it drives with it in

V-Ref

Reaction score
I thought I read a signature on here that said PSJ didn't know chit :D

Those are valid concerns for sure. I wasn't tracking on the Stage 1s, my bad. 70K motor...probably wouldn't break it apart either. Sounds like you'll have a bullet proof setup after you're all done. Look forward to how it all turns out for you. Good luck. You're overdue for some!

OSCS

Reaction score
I thought I read a signature on here that said PSJ didn't know chit :D

Those are valid concerns for sure. I wasn't tracking on the Stage 1s, my bad. 70K motor...probably wouldn't break it apart either. Sounds like you'll have a bullet proof setup after you're all done. Look forward to how it all turns out for you. Good luck. You're overdue for some!

LOL yeah I give kris a hard time for sure but I value the guys opinion. We run damn near the same setup and now some of the same parts so his opinion on the matter is taken into consideration. I hope it's bullet proof but really all I'm doing is starting with a low mileage engine and having Matt tune it this time so hopefully it holds up. Thanks for the support, lord knows I need it!

OSCS

Reaction score
I would keep the stock cam.. Although a lpop isn't a bad idea..

Side note your tires seem to be cuping....

Let all the air out of the tires to make it easier on us if that's what you meant by "cupping"

I REALLY don't want to crack that seal on the oil pan... But I might if I hear it from enough people

V-Ref

Reaction score
LOL yeah I give kris a hard time for sure but I value the guys opinion. We run damn near the same setup and now some of the same parts so his opinion on the matter is taken into consideration. I hope it's bullet proof but really all I'm doing is starting with a low mileage engine and having Matt tune it this time so hopefully it holds up. Thanks for the support, lord knows I need it!

I don't know if it's a revision on his tunes...but the latest tune in my 7.3...I have to really try to make it smoke. I mean, if I stomp it from a dead stop, it'll give a small puff, and even after things spin up...it's just a light haze. He's really got the smoke free, easy driving, great mpg, DD tunes that can tow down... but then if you decide to put your foot way in it, and keep it there...truck wakes up smidgen :rockon:

Like others, I've been fortunate enough to run tunes from a lot of the awesome tuners on here. They all have a different driving characterstics that reflects thier particular tuning strategy/approach , but all I've interacted with were very willing/able to refine stuff for the customer. It's pretty darn incredible how much tuning can change the personality of our trucks. Matt's stuff just seemed to hit the mark real damn close the first time for me. I'm betting it'll be the same for you. If I lived in driving distance of Tx, a live tune would be in my future for sure! Maybe that's better money spent instead of the cam I suggested. Get the truck dialed in just the way you like it. I'd think with an auto that'd be even more important...keep that BTS living forever.

TARM

Reaction score
Just so you know unlike many gasser engines the 7.3's oil pump is not inside the pan. Its in the front of the engine right behind the harmonic balancer. If you can change your water pump you can do a LPOP on these engines. If the engine is on a stand and you have a puller for the balancer its a 30 min job.

OSCS

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a revision on his tunes...but the latest tune in my 7.3...I have to really try to make it smoke. I mean, if I stomp it from a dead stop, it'll give a small puff, and even after things spin up...it's just a light haze. He's really got the smoke free, easy driving, great mpg, DD tunes that can tow down... but then if you decide to put your foot way in it, and keep it there...truck wakes up smidgen :rockon:

Like others, I've been fortunate enough to run tunes from a lot of the awesome tuners on here. They all have a different driving characterstics that reflects thier particular tuning strategy/approach , but all I've interacted with were very willing/able to refine stuff for the customer. It's pretty darn incredible how much tuning can change the personality of our trucks. Matt's stuff just seemed to hit the mark real damn close the first time for me. I'm betting it'll be the same for you. If I lived in driving distance of Tx, a live tune would be in my future for sure! Maybe that's better money spent instead of the cam I suggested. Get the truck dialed in just the way you like it. I'd think with an auto that'd be even more important...keep that BTS living forever.

Im really excited to see the changes matts tunes will bring. Ive heard nothing but good things. I have heard the HP numbers run a little low but at this point i dont care.

OSCS

Reaction score
Just so you know unlike many gasser engines the 7.3's oil pump is not inside the pan. Its in the front of the engine right behind the harmonic balancer. If you can change your water pump you can do a LPOP on these engines. If the engine is on a stand and you have a puller for the balancer its a 30 min job.

There sure is alot of things to learn about these trucks.. diesels are so much different than what im use to :fustrate: Thank you tarm for the lesson. Now i must ask how much is a melling? and how much is a puller?

TARM

Reaction score
This is what you do to save a money:

Go to Advanced Auto site. Then go do a coupon search online(google) for advanced auto. OR do a search on this site under my name for advanced auto as I put up the codes etc. Actually here is the link to my post on it http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=433620&postcount=15

IIRC the code is: BIG30

Order it online. With the code you will get it for $49 instead of the $79 its sold for everywhere else and the list price at advanced. Then choose for instore pickup at one of the local stores in your area or let them deliver it to your home which I think is also free but you do have to wait for it to get to you. Instore if its instock at a store in driving distance is immediate.

Advance auto will also let you rent the harmonic balancer puller installer kit. They credit it back when you return it.

Thats it. So for a total of $50 you get a pump that is better design and flows IIRC about 10% more oil volume than a new stock version.

OSCS

Reaction score
This is what you do to save a money:

Go to Advanced Auto site. Then go do a coupon search online(google) for advanced auto. OR do a search on this site under my name for advanced auto as I put up the codes etc. Actually here is the link to my post on it http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=433620&postcount=15

IIRC the code is: BIG30

Order it online. With the code you will get it for $49 instead of the $79 its sold for everywhere else and the list price at advanced. Then choose for instore pickup at one of the local stores in your area or let them deliver it to your home which I think is also free but you do have to wait for it to get to you. Instore if its instock at a store in driving distance is immediate.

Advance auto will also let you rent the harmonic balancer puller installer kit. They credit it back when you return it.

Thats it. So for a total of $50 you get a pump that is better design and flows IIRC about 10% more oil volume than a new stock version.

Tarm that's badass thanks a lot for the help!

Latest posts

Members online