Twin turbos worth it or not?

02powerstroke

Reaction score
I have a 2002 f250 7.3l. I wanna do a lot of upgrades here soon. What do you think is worth the money and effort? And are twins worth doing or not? I believe my stock turbo is about to **** the bed. What do you guys think? Input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

obspsd

Reaction score
What Do You Plan To Do With The Truck And What Are Your Hp Goals

02powerstroke

Reaction score
I do some towing here and there. I pull at local fairs it's my daily driver. I don't have any hp goals yet but I'm gonna dyno it here soon and have a base line and then see what's it at when I'm done with it.

I have about an 8 inch lift
37, 12.50,R 18 currently. Possibly going bigger soon.
sct sf3 tuner
K&N intake
Traction bars
Custom dual exhaust

02powerstroke

Reaction score
I'm kinda thinking something smaller lines than that lol. Maybe inter cooler, turbo, injectors fuel system nothing to mako for now at least unless I stumble on a good deal for a spare motor.

nwpastroker

Reaction score
Twins would be fantastic if you want to drop big money into it. That thread Bruce linked you to is just hard parts. You'd have another 2k in injectors, 5k for a tranny if auto, less if stick. 1-3k in high pressure oil pump, then the cost of your compounds, I'd guess anywhere from 3-10k depending on how elaborate your setup is and how much you do your self. I'll give you the advice I was given, post up your location and find some members with modified trucks to go for a ride In. Then decide how much power you want, and search for what's need to achieve that

DocBar

Reaction score
I'm guessing that you mean compounds, not twin turbo's.

It's a pretty expensive set up and I wouldn't suggest it for low HP goals. There are too many good single turbo options out there.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Also I don't know if its true or not but diesel power said brian jelich never made more power than he did with a s480, even when he had compounds. To me its more efficient budget and time wise to run a big single.

DocBar

Reaction score
Also I don't know if its true or not but diesel power said brian jelich never made more power than he did with a s480, even when he had compounds. To me its more efficient budget and time wise to run a big single.
For a pure competition truck, that might be true. For a DD, a big single would be laggy and smokey. Compounds will give you better throttle response and a wider, more efficient powerband.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
A 71mm h2e or 468 can get you 650hp, so after that you look at a big single or compounds. I don't know many 650+ 7.3s that are a dd, that's getting into toy/competition truck levels. On a 6.0 or 6.4 where 650 is still a realistic dd number then compounds make sense.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
A 71mm h2e or 468 can get you 650hp, so after that you look at a big single or compounds. I don't know many 650+ 7.3s that are a dd, that's getting into toy/competition truck levels. On a 6.0 or 6.4 where 650 is still a realistic dd number then compounds make sense.

When have you had experience with a 71mm h2e making 650???? On an h2e the turbine side is the limiting factor making anymore more power IMO.

02powerstroke

Reaction score
I want the throttle response with the better powerband. I'd be doing everything at my buddy's shop and he does a lot of diesel work. I'll lean more towards the compounds. What's a good setup?

V-Ref

Reaction score
For DD....I'd look at a 66-71mm inducer single....then spray to your ultimate power goal.

I'm not seeing the advantages to a compounds setup outweigh the disadvantages on the 7.3. On every facet (complexity, scalability, engine bay access, cost, tuning,....I'm not seeing the advantage that compounds have over an equally professionally engineered nitrous system).

I mean...they look cool and all....but really...why not use an atmosphere turbo in a bottle...vs one that needs a wastegate, intake/exhaust plumbing, oil supply/return lines, and is inherently limited in powerband itself?

bruce

Reaction score
What's a good setup for what? 400 horse? 500 horse? 600+ horse? If you were serious about the subject you would already done tons of research. If you get past custom tunes I'll be very surprised.

Jason

Reaction score
I'm with Bruce.

Buuuuut...here's my take. Build for 500-550, then lower the truck to a stock size tire, or 33" tire..it'll be faster, and more responsive than your truck on 37's with less power.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
When have you had experience with a 71mm h2e making 650???? On an h2e the turbine side is the limiting factor making anymore more power IMO.

When I got mine tony wildman had tuned an obs with 71mm h2e that made 646 on fuel (as far as I know, nitrous wasn't ever mentioned in the conversation when I asked about it.) The setup was 300/200, 71 h2e and srp1. Don't know what dyno tho. Cary t knows of the truck because I had talked to him about it.

m j

Reaction score
is there a good thread on compounds?
I know nothing about them
would an s483 feeding an s467 'work'?

DocBar

Reaction score
I want the throttle response with the better powerband. I'd be doing everything at my buddy's shop and he does a lot of diesel work. I'll lean more towards the compounds. What's a good setup?

You can get 500+ with a 38R, H2e, several different T4 turbos, a couple of different T4i turbo's and have very good throttle response. When you get past 500 rwhp, you need to start thinking of having a built motor with billet rods, fully balanced rotating assembly, etc. The 7.3 is the most expensive diesel platform to build serious HP with.

At lower HP levels (less than 650RWHP), compounds aren't really worth the time, effort or money. You can swap to one of the turbos listed above, get some single shot injectors, custom tuning, regulated return fuel system and an upgraded HPOP and be ready to roll at 500 RWHP for ~$6K(don't forget to start saving for a new tranny immediately after these upgrades...another $3-5K). Or you can do all of the above and spend another few thousand $$$ buying and installing an LP turbo to feed one of the above turbo's for no real gain in anything, except maybe slightly lower EGTS and a little more torque on the low end ( which you reeeeeaaaaally don't want unless you have billet rods and all). Don't forget the wastegates and wastegate controller. That's another couple of $$$K

Do you know anyone living near you with a 500rwhp 7.3? If so, have them take you for a spin in it. It's a ton of fun to drive. You don't need compounds, twins or a big single turbo to get there.

For DD....I'd look at a 66-71mm inducer single....then spray to your ultimate power goal.

I'm not seeing the advantages to a compounds setup outweigh the disadvantages on the 7.3. On every facet (complexity, scalability, engine bay access, cost, tuning,....I'm not seeing the advantage that compounds have over an equally professionally engineered nitrous system).

I mean...they look cool and all....but really...why not use an atmosphere turbo in a bottle...vs one that needs a wastegate, intake/exhaust plumbing, oil supply/return lines, and is inherently limited in powerband itself?
That's not bad advice all in all. You're not going to be putting 700 HP to the ground very often and keep your drive train alive and happy. The few times you do want the extra horses, turn your nitrous system on. I don't follow you on compounds being inherently limited in the powerband. Usable peak HP across the powerband is the point of compounds. Properly matched compounds produce a very flat curve across the powerband, without the risk of pressure spikes and malfunctions that nitrous poses. At least that's my understanding of the subject.
What's a good setup for what? 400 horse? 500 horse? 600+ horse? If you were serious about the subject you would already done tons of research. If you get past custom tunes I'll be very surprised.
:whs:
I'm with Bruce.

Buuuuut...here's my take. Build for 500-550, then lower the truck to a stock size tire, or 33" tire..it'll be faster, and more responsive than your truck on 37's with less power.
Best advise I've seen so far.

When I got mine tony wildman had tuned an obs with 71mm h2e that made 646 on fuel (as far as I know, nitrous wasn't ever mentioned in the conversation when I asked about it.) The setup was 300/200, 71 h2e and srp1. Don't know what dyno tho. Cary t knows of the truck because I had talked to him about it.
Do you have any track time with the truck? I'm always interested in comparing dyno numbers with time slips. I've found time slips to be much more accurate as far as estimating RWHP.

is there a good thread on compounds?
I know nothing about them
would an s483 feeding an s467 'work'?
Use the search feature. My best advise is to contact someone who does turbos for a living to get something that is properly matched for your application. Or take the advise that I took, after researching quite a bit and realizing how much I don't know, and see what others have done successfully and work from there. Do lots and lots of independent research and don't just throw two turbos together because some Joe Blow on a MB said they are a great set up. It might be a great set up, but research and verify before buying and installing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.