Two new HPFP and both leaking from front seal

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
the thing is, I'm just not confident in them even when I get another. it makes me not trust my truck being reliable. I haven't had an issue since my build but this.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Reaction score
Can someone please get me seal dimensions. I don't have any junk pump or one that I'm willing to sacrifice. I can find more seals. All that seal holds is "case" pressure. I'm guessing the reason we've been having good luck is from the unregulated returns we are running. Without back pressure on the returns there is little to no case pressure to blow past the seals.

If someone gets me I.D. Of the housing, O.D. Of the shaft and depth of the seal I will get some new seals for people to try. That's a last resort though. I would reduce return pressure first.

04stroker

Reaction score
Granted ours wasn't a seal issue. Just would not work one pump we put in Eric's would build absolutely zero rail pressure the pump was all we changed. On Brett's it would start and fire for a quick second and that was it. After pulling my hair out and convincing myself not again and checking everything possible I talked to a few people including Ford and they determined another bad pump as well and Ford sent me another one free of charge.

I don't have a seal problem but like you Morgan we are running unregulated return. It is Marty's kit regulated supply free flowing return back to the tank.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Granted ours wasn't a seal issue. Just would not work one pump we put in Eric's would build absolutely zero rail pressure the pump was all we changed. On Brett's it would start and fire for a quick second and that was it. After pulling my hair out and convincing myself not again and checking everything possible I talked to a few people including Ford and they determined another bad pump as well and Ford sent me another one free of charge.

I don't have a seal problem but like you Morgan we are running unregulated return. It is Marty's kit regulated supply free flowing return back to the tank.

Awesome. We've had some hard start ones like that before. But never had to pull one back out yet.

04stroker

Reaction score
Mind if I call you sometime today or on Monday? I wanna run a couple things past you. When you say hard start you mean hard initial start line air in the system or their always hard starting?

Reaction score
Mind if I call you sometime today or on Monday? I wanna run a couple things past you. When you say hard start you mean hard initial start line air in the system or their always hard starting?

Yeah, give me a shout. But yes, didn't know if it would ever start. Either was necessary on a couple trucks. But once they finally ran a couple times they came out of it. Only have had
One hpfp failure as of late. It was on a dual pump truck, with another companies dual fueler. We ended up taking everything off and putting it back to stock and he's now selling it. But ford warrantied the pumps, just not the injectors or fuel system. And no labor at all. But it's not exactly their fault, it wasnt used in a stock configuration. So I'm just happy they paid for the pumps.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Maxxforce 7 HPFP is the same as one we run our trucks?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yes they are the same

Thank you very much. I guess that means that if we were willing to pay $2k for K16 from an International dealer, we could run a brand new pump that would work on our trucks without any problems. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Well it looks like we may have finally got closer to coming up with the solution for my truck at least with the leaking fuel pumps. I have to give credit to Morgan at Midwest Diesel for the idea and the thought process behind it but it seems to have worked. I will know forsure tommarow if it worked or not as I am in need of a different "T" fitting for the return line. What we did was take the return that came out of the fuel cooler and was routed to the fuel regulator and just put the line in a bucket. Put a o-ring boss plug in the regulator port where the fuel line was and started the truck and let it run.......

The pump is no longer leaking at this point but tommarow I will have to "T" the line coming off the fuel cooler into the line going back to the tank. With any luck all the issues will be solved and I can move on from this nightmare that I have been having.

Final results to come tommarow.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well it looks like we may have finally got closer to coming up with the solution for my truck at least with the leaking fuel pumps. I have to give credit to Morgan at Midwest Diesel for the idea and the thought process behind it but it seems to have worked. I will know forsure tommarow if it worked or not as I am in need of a different "T" fitting for the return line. What we did was take the return that came out of the fuel cooler and was routed to the fuel regulator and just put the line in a bucket. Put a o-ring boss plug in the regulator port where the fuel line was and started the truck and let it run.......

The pump is no longer leaking at this point but tommarow I will have to "T" the line coming off the fuel cooler into the line going back to the tank. With any luck all the issues will be solved and I can move on from this nightmare that I have been having.

Final results to come tommarow.

I still working on trying to understanding our fuel system so are you basically converting your regulated return into an unregulated return?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
No it is a brand new fuel cooler so its not plugged or causing too much of a restriction. The problem comes as soon as you send the returns from both pumps back into the regulator. I am going to leave the fuel cooler there for now and may take it out at sometime down the road, but for now it will stay there.

If you have never seen how much fuel comes back on the return line in these trucks you would be blown away by how much it really is. In about a minute I filled up a 4 gallon bucket over half way. The fuel comes out of the lines like water out of a garden hose. So I can see why there is a problem I guess when you put all the feed and return lines into one regulator with the new weaker seals that are in the remaned pumps.

I was told by a engineer at Ford that the seals on the front of the pumps are only ment to hold back the return pressure inside of the pump. With all the fuel lines both feed and return dumping into one regulator the system is building up a bit more pressure in the return lines and thus causing the seal on the pump to leak.

Today is going to be a big day for me as I am going to get the new "T" fitting and make sure that the problem is gone with this solution.

Latest posts

Members online