Two new HPFP and both leaking from front seal

webb06

Reaction score
It was under 20 or damn close to it when I started it today. But stopped leaking in about three or four minutes. But that's a long time. Makes one hell of a mess.

Ya no kidding. With mine being mounted in the low position it just slings it on the frame rail though.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Oh believe me I love the 6.4 but i have pondered lots of different things lately. Plan is to stick with the 6.4 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic blue l

Reaction score
When your engine is cold the hp pump is in volume control, once it warms it switches to pressure control. Perhaps your tuner could change the cold start control?? That is if that's the cause, but we get plenty of -30 or colder here and pumps are not failing left and right.(stock trucks) (I'd be checking into how the dual pumps are controlled and base pressure as you would need real bad luck to have that many pumps fail)

I did have one about 2 years ago on a reman engine that would dump a liter of fuel into the crankcase per min of run time.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
When your engine is cold the hp pump is in volume control, once it warms it switches to pressure control. Perhaps your tuner could change the cold start control?? That is if that's the cause, but we get plenty of -30 or colder here and pumps are not failing left and right.(stock trucks) (I'd be checking into how the dual pumps are controlled and base pressure as you would need real bad luck to have that many pumps fail)

I did have one about 2 years ago on a reman engine that would dump a liter of fuel into the crankcase per min of run time.

Wow thats some good info! It is weird that a stock pump doesn't have these issues though. But I definately learned something today!

sonic blue l

Reaction score
If it's just the seal then stock trucks would also be failing. There has to be something causing them to run outside there limits. We hit almost -40 this winter and this town is covered with 6.4s. (No big flood of failed pumps) Biggest reason I'm changing pumps is gas and ****ty fuel.

Mind you in canada we get our parts after the us, so they generally find the bad parts and have them flushed out of the system before we get them up here.

Riverside

Reaction score
Also something to consider on a "stock" truck is the HPFP cover provides a little insulation to the pump.

Is there anyone that has a new reman both in the valley and outside for the 2nd pump that lives in cold climate.

TD-5

Reaction score
So today I did some tests to see what is going on with the pump. I first started it up outside and checked the fuel pressure at the Air Dog pump as well as at the fuel block on the Air Dog upgrade. Fuel was just literaly pouring out of the pump and onto the ground.

At Air Dog=15psi
At block=10psi

Just to go back to the beginning & clarify, Your AD lift pump is supplying 15psi to the regulator up top that is now replacing the secondary fuel bowl?
Are you measuring 10psi being delivered to the HPFP or is that measured at the outlet (Return) from the fuel cooler?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Just to go back to the beginning & clarify, Your AD lift pump is supplying 15psi to the regulator up top that is now replacing the secondary fuel bowl?
Are you measuring 10psi being delivered to the HPFP or is that measured at the outlet (Return) from the fuel cooler?

I am getting the 15 psi reading at the air dog pump on the frame rail. There is a test port and that is where I am taking my reading from.

The 10 psi reading is from the test port on the regulator at the fuel bowl delete(air dog upgrade).

TD-5

Reaction score
If the 10 psi measured at the delete regulator is the pressure being supplied to the internal transfer pump of the HPFP, is it possible this pressure is overwhelming the transfer pump inlet & causing the seal to leak, especially when everything is cold & tolerances are minimal? I have never seen a HPFP apart so I don't even know if the internal transfer pump is configured in such a way that it could cause the shaft seal to leak. But considering the regulator built into the factory secondary fuel bowl is set at 3psi +- 0.5psi to supply the HPFP, 10 psi to the HPFP might be to much.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I believe that 10 psi at the regulator is the norm for the 6.4 with the bowl deleted. The thing is this same truck ran with 0 problems for over a year with the same settings on pressure when I had the other factory pump in the secondary position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Just for reference the factory lift pump will provide around 6psi if you had a test port on the pump. (I taped in an oil pressure switch into factory pump cover and have a cheap $5 audible alarm in cab if pressure drops). Factory oil pressure switch can have varing set off points but it's around 5-6 psi. At the cooler it's around 5 psi. Did you check pressure when cold?

Latest posts

Members online