Unlimited vs Swamps

Gearhead

Reaction score
What exactly is "suffering" down low in your mind? If you're losing something down there then you're causing it. A stock DT530 with BD's is EXTREMELY crisp right off idle or AT idle with a clutch drop for that matter.

What are you doing to cause problems with such crisp nozzles? You should be having traction control issues if anything.

If the phrase... BIG BLOCK GASSER never comes to mind when driving on 200's..... you're doing it WRONG.

That goes for anybody.

530 has a cubic inch advantage.. Also, what is the typical turbo used on that application?

When you are lugging the truck with the 200s the charger isn't getting much drive until you really get into the fuel because the crank rotation is taking a bit and the injection is done earlier than with the smaller nozzle. So you get into the fuel and you get the charger up but you let loose some smoke while doing it. Maybe the answer is pulling back some timing IDK, most people running 200s don't have a charger that is responsive below 1700 rpms anyway.

Big Bore

Reaction score
This is like 1.0 vs 1.15 on the 38R. What are these people DOING that don't love the 1.15 in comparison???.

Driving from 9000ft up to 11,000 then back down to 5000. Actually I haven't tried the 1.15 at this altitude but I'm concerned about lag. However I've considered trying it anyway.

Charles

Reaction score
530 has a cubic inch advantage.. Also, what is the typical turbo used on that application?

When you are lugging the truck with the 200s the charger isn't getting much drive until you really get into the fuel because the crank rotation is taking a bit and the injection is done earlier than with the smaller nozzle. So you get into the fuel and you get the charger up but you let loose some smoke while doing it. Maybe the answer is pulling back some timing IDK, most people running 200s don't have a charger that is responsive below 1700 rpms anyway.

In my experience, pull pw, pull pw, pull pw. When I really got the 200's running good coming from programs for my 30%'s I had but a fraction of the pw I started with. The more duration I pulled, the quicker and crisper they got. It would eventualy spin the tires just stabbing the throttle from a stop. Just like, stab it and they spin. As I said... big block gasser sh*t. This is obviously with 0lbs of boost.

And if you want a longer duration, pull ICP. A 200 can stretch it out just as far as an 80 if you want. There's nothing that says you can't slow down a fast nozzle if you feel the need.

In fact, on the 200's I used to purposefully keep ICP in check and let it come up slowly with rpm because the truck was too crisp and harsh if I gave it too much ICP too quickly. Felt like it was trying to tear itself apart, even with very little timing.

For me, the 200's wanted moderate ICP and moderate timing and very little pw and just let them do their thing.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
In my experience, pull pw, pull pw, pull pw. When I really got the 200's running good coming from programs for my 30%'s I had but a fraction of the pw I started with. The more duration I pulled, the quicker and crisper they got. It would eventualy spin the tires just stabbing the throttle from a stop. Just like, stab it and they spin. As I said... big block gasser sh*t. This is obviously with 0lbs of boost.

And if you want a longer duration, pull ICP. A 200 can stretch it out just as far as an 80 if you want. There's nothing that says you can't slow down a fast nozzle if you feel the need.

In fact, on the 200's I used to purposefully keep ICP in check and let it come up slowly with rpm because the truck was too crisp and harsh if I gave it too much ICP too quickly. Felt like it was trying to tear itself apart, even with very little timing.

For me, the 200's wanted moderate ICP and moderate timing and very little pw and just let them do their thing.

Like I said, I never spent much time in the region I am worried about because my charger didn't seem to like it down there so I wrote it off...... I did try lower icp there but it started smoking again. If anyone wants to try the 200s on a smaller turbo I'd be willing to try to get the thing working right.

JD3020

Reaction score
Whats considered a smaller turbo? I'm still kicking around the idea of running 250/200's this summer on a mostly stock truck(would be just fuel and oil mods) until i get my other motor in or something else done. My current injectors were used and the truck runs rougher than **** between 1500-2k rpm's, so i might step up this summer.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Whats considered a smaller turbo? I'm still kicking around the idea of running 250/200's this summer on a mostly stock truck(would be just fuel and oil mods) until i get my other motor in or something else done. My current injectors were used and the truck runs rougher than **** between 1500-2k rpm's, so i might step up this summer.

that qualifies

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Driving from 9000ft up to 11,000 then back down to 5000. Actually I haven't tried the 1.15 at this altitude but I'm concerned about lag. However I've considered trying it anyway.

I had the 1.15 on my Super 66 when I first got it and I had to switch to a 1.0. But I never had tuning adjusted and this was on stock injectors so I'm sure PW was way up, but it was a smoky laggy pig coming up the passes on my trips back and forth from Denver. It just felt like it never actually spooled. At Bandimere I could not get it over 5-10 lbs at the line, and it was over 1/2 second slower ET. Again I'm sure adjusting the tuning would have helped out atleast some of that.

Now I'm really leaning towards putting the 1.15 back on when I put my 250/200's in in a couple weeks. Getting the truck tuned for it and having more and faster fuel, I wouldn't think I would have a problem. But then again I'm probably dealing with a little more inherent lag because it's not a BB 38R.

Charles

Reaction score
I had the 1.15 on my Super 66 when I first got it and I had to switch to a 1.0. But I never had tuning adjusted and this was on stock injectors so I'm sure PW was way up, but it was a smoky laggy pig coming up the passes on my trips back and forth from Denver. It just felt like it never actually spooled. At Bandimere I could not get it over 5-10 lbs at the line, and it was over 1/2 second slower ET. Again I'm sure adjusting the tuning would have helped out atleast some of that.

Now I'm really leaning towards putting the 1.15 back on when I put my 250/200's in in a couple weeks. Getting the truck tuned for it and having more and faster fuel, I wouldn't think I would have a problem. But then again I'm probably dealing with a little more inherent lag because it's not a BB 38R.

And you're sure the housing actually fits that turbine right? Apparently this was a big issue with at least a few people having lag issues.

For me... the truck made more power at all rpm points with the 1.15 on my 38R. So I really don't understand any of this.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I'm sure Bean set him up with the proper housing on the D66.

Like I said I'm going to try the 1.15, but based on past experiences I'm pretty sure it's going to be laggy and smoke. Until I get the atmo charger installed.:D

Gearhead

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what size it is.... the housing needs to fit. Some people apparently don't think so.

just saying the van exhaust housing is actually right on this one..... if it is indeed a super 66 and not a d66.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
just saying the van exhaust housing is actually right on this one..... if it is indeed a super 66 and not a d66.

Yep it is a super 66 not a D66 so it came with the 1.15 which was correct, I just had to make sure the 1.0 housing got machined for the van turbine wheel.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
How does that super 66 compare to a 38r?

I can't personally compare, but if I am correct on all the info, the compressor side is the same as the 38R. (I don't know anything about the compressor housing on a 38R so I'm not positive). So flow should be similar except for a little slower since it's not ball bearing. The turbine side having the van turbine wheel should help out compared to the stock wheel on the 38R. So on paper they appear to be pretty close. Since I've never driven a 38R truck I don't know how much the ball bearing helps out. I think the truck ran pretty comparable to 38R, stock injector trucks at the track, a little bit slower maybe. (This is all based on when I switched to the 1.0 housing) It was my fault for not adjusting tuning to the 1.15 to see how it would actually perform, but with the 1.15 I would have almost chosen stock turbo instead.

Here's a quick video when I had the 1.15 on just to give you an idea how bad it was. This was at 6600ft. Stock turbo would have cleared up to no smoke at the higher RPM's.
th_MVI_0775.jpg

Last edited:

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
My old 38r w/ 1.15 was bad ass. I could spin 35" tire from a dead stop with Swamp's 200 cc hybrids. I also had a tow tune that you could pull a house if you wanted to. It took off slow and then the TC would lock and hold on. I look forward to my new set up with the GTX4294r and 300cc 200%. They tell me that it is bad ass as they are live tuning it as we speak. Had to get a new rear end and went with a TrueTrac. I should be getting it very soon. Can't wait.

TARM

Reaction score
Swamps is doing your live tuning correct?

Looks like we will both have the same basic setup. I still need a locker in the rear but my factory limited slip actually works and works well as rare as that seems to be so i am happy for now. LOL

I am hoping Matt gets up here or I get down there sooner or later to get him to tune it live on a dyno and street. These turbos apparently are very queit as well. The little with mine it was hard. To believe how quiet it was. That may vary as it aparently has tondomwith how close the tolrances are machined.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Swamps is doing your live tuning correct?

Looks like we will both have the same basic setup. I still need a locker in the rear but my factory limited slip actually works and works well as rare as that seems to be so i am happy for now. LOL

I am hoping Matt gets up here or I get down there sooner or later to get him to tune it live on a dyno and street. These turbos apparently are very queit as well. The little with mine it was hard. To believe how quiet it was. That may vary as it aparently has tondomwith how close the tolrances are machined.

Correct Swamps is live tunning it.

Latest posts

Members online