Unlimited vs Swamps

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
So with a 200% nozzle on a cold day what makes them smoke more white, the amount of fuel not being burnt on the first couple fires of the injector?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm going to give 300/300's a shot, and I live at 9000ft. After consulting with several people I think proper tuning will make them more than driveable.

I struggle with the 250-200 here at 7500... but I am sure some tuning changes could help.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
42r and 250/200 on a basically stock motor (other than studs/springs/PR) went 12.83 today with a chewed up compressor wheel and weighing in at 7,350!

Seems like these injectors are more than i thought they were (not that those times are amazing) but sub 12.5 no problem with these "small" 200% nozzles, ill take it.
has anyone gone sub 12 at or around 7,000lbs with a 200%?

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I ran an 8.05 1/8th with a stock h2e and 240/200's at about 6300 lbs. And thats def not enough turbo and had a lil trouble spinnin off the line.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
42r and 250/200 on a basically stock motor (other than studs/springs/PR) went 12.83 today with a chewed up compressor wheel and weighing in at 7,350!

Was that chris (vanderchevy18)and his pickup??? If so it was a JB GT42Turbo not a BB GT42R turbo..

But yes a very good run..:thumbup:

Gearhead

Reaction score
So does anyone have any dyno numbers that prove that a 200% nozzle makes more power than a 100% nozzle on a 38r or similar turbo?

Charles, are you sure you were running enough timing with the smaller nozzles back in the day?

I am still sticking to my guns on the smaller nozzles having an advantage below 1700 or so rpms. So if there isn't an advantage to the larger nozzle without a larger turbo, why do it? Without the larger mass of oxygen in the combustion chamber from a better charger setup (like your compounds) the faster injection rate doesn't give you a whole lot because it slows the burn rate without the extra oxygen.

TARM

Reaction score
Unless the dif in atmoization is enough to over come the the ability to flow the same peak amount of fuel delievery typically seen with a 100% but to a short pw so higher rpm it would on paper have to. Again on paper. Add in if people ran wastes with system as should be doneit would be interesting to see.

Some great points were brought up in that old thread. I am going to reread it.

Homesteader

Reaction score
So does anyone have any dyno numbers that prove that a 200% nozzle makes more power than a 100% nozzle on a 38r or similar turbo?

Charles, are you sure you were running enough timing with the smaller nozzles back in the day?

I am still sticking to my guns on the smaller nozzles having an advantage below 1700 or so rpms. So if there isn't an advantage to the larger nozzle without a larger turbo, why do it? Without the larger mass of oxygen in the combustion chamber from a better charger setup (like your compounds) the faster injection rate doesn't give you a whole lot because it slows the burn rate without the extra oxygen.

Yes I would like to know that to. It was bought up for my build at one point 100% or 200% nozzle. Right now I'm looking at 300/200's.

Charles

Reaction score
Look at the nozzle sizes on commercial diesels like OTR tractor engines, or even the IH 466 and 530's that we steal parts from.

You don't see them running tiny little nozzles on the higher power versions. And we're talking power in the 2 to 300's on those IH engines. And they make power at lower rpm too. Yet the engineers found the larger nozzles more efficient for that power range. If the powerstroke had been designed with more than 235hp in mind, it would have received much larger nozzles too.

Even though the stock nozzle can make well north of 100 additional horsepower. If they had intended the truck to run at that power they would have upped the nozzle accordingly, as opposed to stretching things out.

Keep your injection duration short and to the point. I think Brian J's MPG numbers in the diesel power challenge on the 400/400's missed the memo on lost efficiency with a tight injection window.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
things out.

Keep your injection duration short and to the point. I think Brian J's MPG numbers in the diesel power challenge on the 400/400's missed the memo on lost efficiency with a tight injection window.

Was that steady state driving mostly? The short injection window really only affects spool up in transitional states. It's all a balance and yes I agree about shorter injection windows to get the job done. I discovered the larger nozzle advantages even with the 80% over stock when I first started tuning a few years back and was seeing lower temps when towing. I had 200% on a stock h2e in my black truck 2 years ago and it ran really well but suffered ever so slightly below 1700, but i've never compared a stock h2e with a 38r either.

Charles

Reaction score
Was that steady state driving mostly? The short injection window really only affects spool up in transitional states. It's all a balance and yes I agree about shorter injection windows to get the job done. I discovered the larger nozzle advantages even with the 80% over stock when I first started tuning a few years back and was seeing lower temps when towing. I had 200% on a stock h2e in my black truck 2 years ago and it ran really well but suffered ever so slightly below 1700, but i've never compared a stock h2e with a 38r either.

What exactly is "suffering" down low in your mind? If you're losing something down there then you're causing it. A stock DT530 with BD's is EXTREMELY crisp right off idle or AT idle with a clutch drop for that matter.

What are you doing to cause problems with such crisp nozzles? You should be having traction control issues if anything.

If the phrase... BIG BLOCK GASSER never comes to mind when driving on 200's..... you're doing it WRONG.

That goes for anybody.

Charles

Reaction score
This is like 1.0 vs 1.15 on the 38R. What are these people DOING that don't love the 1.15 in comparison???

I run the 1.15 on my 300hp F550 Tow truck for Christ's sake. It doesn't get anymore low rpm than that.

And if I hadn't had a set of 100 nozzles basically thrown at me I'd be running 200's on it too. I had all intentions of running them until these used nozzles popped up.

Wish like hell I had 200's on that truck. I could melt that ZF6 even quicker, lol.

The 200 EDM is the best 7.3 nozzle on planet earth. Period. Dear lord have I run/tuned a lot of injectors, and I'm just stating plainly, the 200's are the cream of the crop up to ~600hp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online