URGENT: Help

2000wa250

Reaction score
What are the chances that I got 8 injectors from casserly that have bad solenoids?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
That's what I thought. The voltage bugs me simply because I've been told.numerous times that if it drops below 10.5 the idm wont fire the injectors. Ohmed out the uvch and they checked good. Really stumped right now on where to even look. Gonna jump it tomorrow to see if the voltage still drops as much or to that point

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
10.5v or more is the Ford spec (as listed in the starting requirements). If you are worried about it, use a battery charger to charge the batteries fully and then use the same charger in "start" mode to give it some extra current when trying to start it. If that doesn't help, it's not a voltage issue.

I'm not looking at AE right now, so my wording might be slightly off. To perform a buzz test, connect to the truck like you did for the datalog above. Once connected, select the tab called something like "on board test". There will be a dropdown selection box, one of the items will be the injector buzz test. The key is on, but the engine NOT running for this test. You will start the test and then move around front and listen to the injector solenoids buzz. They will all buzz at once, then it will buzz them in order (1 thru 8). Any injector that doesn't buzz has an electrical issue (not plugged in, etc). Performing this test will give you 2 things, the audible test of the electrical connection to the injectors and it will also retrieve and display any IDM codes on the screen (these don't come up when you scan for regular codes).

Report back with which injectors do and don't buzz...and what IDM codes might come up.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Buzz test in AE - when you have AE on and connected to the truck with the key on and the engine off - there is a tab along the top of the AE screen below the menus and the hot keys that is for testing - you can select the buzz test which is key on engine off (KOEO) - and then tell it to run - it will buzz all the injectors at once - and then each one individually - so you should hear 9 distinct buzz sounds - listen to them and make note of a shortfall of the number, or if any any of them sound drastically different. There will be some variation in sound due to location of the injectors and installed components.

I got treed! LOL

2000wa250

Reaction score
No i have not. I've always been told either is bad for these engines

Big Bore

Reaction score
No i have not. I've always been told either is bad for these engines

Only if GP's are functional, and even then it just makes loud pops and sets things like the intake on fire LOL. Make sure GP's are disconnected, and don't spray half a can at once, that will hydro lock a cylinder. Ether is not bad for a diesel, and they do not become "addicted". Just hit it with a short spray right in the turbo intake.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Do this while cranking correct?

2000wa250

Reaction score
Going to go do the buzz test. I will post back with results. Also going to go get a battery charger....any recomendations on a decent brand?

2000wa250

Reaction score
So the truck failed the Buzz test.

Threw a code:

P1668 PCM/IDM Communications Failure

Since I do not have a shop, and its starting to get darker here, and snow is moving in, so I am packing it up for the day. Tomorrow I will be pulling the PCM again and checking the connections. Afterwards I will attempt another buzz test. Hopefully I will find a problem with the connection to the PCM and this will finally be over.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Nope. Chip hasnt been in it since we finished the injector install. As soon as we realized it was a no start issue we pulled the chip and started diagnosing without the chip. AE is able to connect to the pcm and read info, so it is my understanding that the PCM is not fried

2000wa250

Reaction score
Yea...gonna check connections to the pcm and pull idm and take a look

2000wa250

Reaction score
no. Keys were never in the ignition when I pulled the chip or the PCM. Was on the phone with Clay from Riffraff and he believes that my PCM is fine given I can still datalog and run all the normal stuff off of AE. Tried to perform a buzz test to narrow down where my problem is and it returned the code for communication error between PCM and IDM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if I can still read information from the PCM and the AE can still successfully connect to the PCM that the PCM is not fried.

Latest posts

Members online