URGENT: Help

jngreen

Reaction score
Just got done installing my new injectors and tyrant diesel chip. Truck will not start. Cranks and all lights come on but cranking is slow. When i switch the chip to hi idle (without truck running but key in) it sets SES light. Double checked valve cover harnesses and battery connections. Tried to jump it and it didnt help. Feels like the batteries are dead, but not sure. Will crank strong but starts going slower and slower. Will not start. Getting the batteries tested tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has any advice on what these symptoms might be due to. T

Thanks for the help guys!!!

No luck with added oil...one of the new injectors was a long lead injector.....would it matter if it was placed in a spot other then the number 8? What about a stuck open ipr

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What exactly are these "new injectors"? Are they really used stockers that you bought? I only ask, because you mentioned something about the LL being in the number 8 position.

If all you changed was the injectors, then its possible that the injectors are the problem.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Do dave stated earlier that it needs to see .85v From the icp sensor to start....is lower voltage on that signal wire going to be higher icp or lower?

Dave? Who changed my name? LMAO!

.85v or HIGHER while cranking. Below .85v and you don't have enough pressure for the PCM to fire the injectors.

2000wa250

Reaction score
oops my bad on the name change lol. Thank you for the information. Its been a long couple of days so please excuse my lapse in memory

2000wa250

Reaction score
What exactly are these "new injectors"? Are they really used stockers that you bought? I only ask, because you mentioned something about the LL being in the number 8 position.

If all you changed was the injectors, then its possible that the injectors are the problem.

they are 250/200's from casserly. I assumed that the long lead was just a core that they used.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Just was able to get a superchips scanner on it to check for any codes, only DTC on it was P0603

907DAVE

Reaction score
That code is nothing to worry about, it is a result of installing or removing the chip in the truck.

2000wa250

Reaction score
thats what i thought. checking all connections now. last thing i will do after chicking all connections and voltage while cranking and voltage from icp sensor is to see if grounding the ipr changes anything.

2000wa250

Reaction score
just checked the voltage while cranking, with known good batteries, no drop in voltage while cranking, however the starter slows down after just a couple times of turning the engine over. Pulling the starter as we speak and gonna go get a new one.

2000wa250

Reaction score
so heres the starter that was on my truck, when we checked the voltage we could hear the starter slow down cranking, but saw no voltage change at the batteries. I believe it is the OEM one, and it definitely seems to be cranking slow. Not sure if its slow enough to cause a no start, but I'm going to replace it with a brand new one. Regardless its peace of mind to know that I now have a new starter. Especially given that I dont have to turn in this one as a core so I can have it rebuilt eventually. I believe we are getting fuel, but due to the fact that the new starter wont be here until tomorrow, we couldnt really do anything else on it today. Will be checking to see if I have fuel coming out of the lines returning it to the regulator.

We tried to check the voltage coming from the ICP, but were not sure which wire it was, and did not want to splice into the wire simply to check the voltage. Does anyone have any advice for testing this? I really would like to know if the PCM is even calling for the injectors to fire.

2012-01-02_13-14-06_960.jpg

2012-01-02_13-13-50_638.jpg

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Yea, that has been my hunch from the beginning ken. The question for me was whether it was because it was pulling the voltage down (we learned this wasnt the case) or it wasnt spinning the engine fast enough to build pressure and clear out the air, not to mention actually have it fire off. It's been working lately, but has always had a bit of a long crank in my opinion, so the air plus the bigger injectors that must be pressurized, along with the fact that we had to use it to crank the engine over for an extended period to clear the oil probably was just too much for a tired starter. Either way we will find out tomorrow.

2000wa250

Reaction score
As I said all the connections have been checked and rechecked. I undid it and made sure it is tightened down

Arisley

Reaction score
I bet it is the starter also. I mentioned the 42 pin connector because I have seen a case of somebody just smashing it together and bending pins. I have also seen a case of "oops, I forgot to connect that connector". Not knowing you, we sould never ever assume anything. Also, I am not trying to dis you at all. Just reminding of the basics.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I bet it is the starter also. I mentioned the 42 pin connector because I have seen a case of somebody just smashing it together and bending pins. I have also seen a case of "oops, I forgot to connect that connector". Not knowing you, we sould never ever assume anything. Also, I am not trying to dis you at all. Just reminding of the basics.

Don't even worry about it. If it ends up being the starter im going to kick myself in the face because I blew off replacing it 2 weeks ago

2000wa250

Reaction score
Was not the starter. Replaced it with a brand new unit, spins over MUCH faster now, but still will not fire up. Thinking I might be back to the IPR or a bad CPS. If the IPR got stuck open, is there a way to reset it? Can i unplug the back of it and then replug it?

Thinking about buying an AE...for those that have them do you feel it was money well spent? Seems to be a lot of money for something that I may not use that much, but then again, if I had one right now it would make things unbelievably easier.

Also had a strange thing happen, just to rule it out, we unplugged the fuel bowl heater, to see if it had shorted out and was causing the no start, and when it was disconnected voltage dropped incredibly fast while cranking. Plugged it back in and cranked and the voltage drop was gone. Not sure if this means anything, but it seemed strange.

Latest posts

Members online