What BOV you runnin?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
boost pressure pushes on one side of the bov.

drive pressure pushes on the top.

when drive is higher than boost, it will be closed. as the higher drive pressure keeps the boost from escaping.

when boost is higher than drive, it can force it's way out, as there is not enough drive pressure to keep it closed.

make sense now??

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Yep sure does. I knew it would work but my shop guy was telling me he didn't see how it was possible lol. I had him call JGS then he finally got it. It also has an adjustable regulator to adjust at which psi it will open to limit boost so it could be challenging to get set right. Hopefully some dyno time will do it.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Not planning to. Shouldn't have a problem over driving the chargers so shouldn't need a gate.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I believe its used to limit the drive pressure being applied to the top of the valve which would allow the valve to open at a desired boost pressure if you wanted to limit your maximum boost.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Youre looking at this the wrong way. The BOV isnt meant to limit boost pressure. The only thing that BOV is meant for is to release excess boost pressure after letting off the throttle. The regulator will control how responsive the bov will be, and to adjust according your specific trucks boost/bp ratios

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Youre looking at this the wrong way. The BOV isnt meant to limit boost pressure. The only thing that BOV is meant for is to release excess boost pressure after letting off the throttle. The regulator will control how responsive the bov will be, and to adjust according your specific trucks boost/bp ratios

That's really all I'm wanting it to do. I don't need to limit the maximum boost anyways. Just need it to stay closed until I let up. Hopefully its easy enough to get adjusted.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Got it runnin. Can't get it to stay closed though. 18 ish psi and it pushes open.

madman1234509

Reaction score
http://www.jgsturbo.com/wgpg.html

Go to the diesel BOV page and read the pdf diagram, and double check everything if you already havent. Make sure your EBP line is the proper length. Also it appears that the BOV should be post charge air cooler, probably for less heat exposure to the BOV. If your lines are plumbed correctly according to the diagram, make sure the proper springs are in it and that the regulator is adjusted properly. Id imagine the regulator turned all the way open will allow boost to push on the valve, opening it too early. Closed will keep the valve shut. These should work on our applications, since most every 6.4 has a decent more amount of EBP than boost pressure.

Last edited:

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Everything seems to be plumbed In Correctly. The response time for it opening when I let off is so fast, it opens when my foot bounces during a part throttle shift. The kit did come with 2 more springs so I gues I'll have to go inside the valve. I've tried the regulator all the way open and closed with no change on my problem.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Double check with wayne at elite diesel. Erik Clausen said it might be what they are putting on his truck, maybe they had luck tuning it in.

Sonds like maybe you need to use a heavier spring, or two of the spring if possible

madman1234509

Reaction score
If I remember correctly my JGS wastegate had the ability to install two of the 3 available springs at the same time, the BOV might be the same way

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
my suggestion would be to take the regulator out and see if that helps, and trouble shoot from there.

the springs determine when it will shut. when the spring pressure overcomes boost it will shut. meaning, if you want it to dump ALL of your boost, use light spring. if you only want it to dump down to 20ish use that combination.

if its dumping at your 18ish psi of boost, your not making enough ebp, or the bov isn't seeing enough ebp to keep itself shut.

and it sounds like you have 18ish pounds of spring in there.

and on your regulator. are you just turning it, or pulling the knob up/pushing it down (which ever way yours goes) and turning it?

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I added a second spring. Now its making over 50 psi of boost but I'm not sure if its opening now. The regulator just seems to determine how long it stays open. Before the spring change it opened to soon under boost and it would blow off real fast. Now I think its staying closed but it barely blows off just the slightest when I let off.

Latest posts

Members online