238/80's hazing at idle

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Hey guys. Ever since i have had my 238/80's from FFD the truck has hazed a blueish gray smoke. Reduces greatly once warm which makes sense because its a better burn. They have done it since the day i put them in. Tuning doesnt make a difference as i've had DP and gearhead tunes and it runs exactly the same in the hazing dept. Im starting to wonder if it is an injector related issue. It doesnt miss or anything. Starts great cold or hot. I can get video if it helps.

The injectors have about 30k on them as of now

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
you think? kinda smells like raw fuel. Figured when i pulled them to do studs i'd eliminate that possibility since i obviously have to re ring them

Wicked

Reaction score
Mine does that with the 250/100s.... as the temperature goes down the more the haze. Not to worry though. I pulled my injectors and sent them back and they came back fine... just the way life is with bigger injectors.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
its done it since day one though, and i've talked to matt at gearhead and he said it shouldnt smoke. I'm in fl so the temp doesnt get too low. Its the same whether its 60 or 90 out

02BigD

Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but 100 or 200% nozzles and smaller should have no haze at idle. A little carrying on initial startup on cold days for 10 secs or so, ok....but more than that there is something off somewhere.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but 100 or 200% nozzles and smaller should have no haze at idle. A little carrying on initial startup on cold days for 10 secs or so, ok....but more than that there is something off somewhere.

I agree with the above. Post a video as "haze" is a very subjective term. If you can post the EOT and ambient temp when you made the video, that'd help folks put it in perspective.

A tip given to me via a 7.3 smart guy was you can take a piece of white paper, hold it close to the exhaust...and that'll help you nail down the residue that may be seeing as "haze"... i.e. engine oil, fuel, or coolant

It's dark...but the only "haze" in this video is the unburnt moisture....no unburnt fuel smell.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=889182&postcount=18

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ive had several tuners through the years, started off with 160s then added 80 nozzles, 100 nozzels then went to 250/100s then 350/200s. 2 motors and both haze when cold until i start to move and get some heat flowing. After that it doesnt haze at all, i just figured thats how it is. I even installed new heads/seals on my original motor to yeild the same results. maybe its a cyclinder with just a few pounds of compression lower

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I agree with the above. Post a video as "haze" is a very subjective term. If you can post the EOT and ambient temp when you made the video, that'd help folks put it in perspective.

A tip given to me via a 7.3 smart guy was you can take a piece of white paper, hold it close to the exhaust...and that'll help you nail down the residue that may be seeing as "haze"... i.e. engine oil, fuel, or coolant

It's dark...but the only "haze" in this video is the unburnt moisture....no unburnt fuel smell.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=889182&postcount=18
How do you determine results with the "white paper test"? What are you looking for?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
20140119_091900_zps5863502f.mp4.html

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive had cool startups that look no different than that once in awhile. Mine runs very even just like yours and any smoke is totally gone when the motor has a little heat in it.

I'd rather not have the haze, but at the same time, Ive had no reason to worry about it.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
It's like that every cold start. Whether it's cold out or not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

V-Ref

Reaction score
How do you determine results with the "white paper test"? What are you looking for?

The paper should catch and show a representation of the unburnt residue.

His video makes me think oil control rings are worn. But he said this started with an injector swap. Hmmm.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

V-Ref

Reaction score
What would be the difference on the paper between oil and fuel?

I definitely get your point....short of turning it into a lab...you wouldn't know definitively. Just throwing it out there as it helped me find a cracked injector cup on my truck.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.