238/80's hazing at idle

02BigD

Reaction score
His video makes me think oil control rings are worn. But he said this started with an injector swap. Hmmm.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Looks like oil to me as well. Since it started with install, I'd venture to guess there is either a rolled or nicked o ring(s).

Last edited:

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
yeah i talked to matt about it. Had trouble getting the passengers side rear most injector to seat all the way. I bathed them in oil before i slapped them in

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Brand new rebuilt motor mine has done that since day 2. Rosewood 250/200s. Had them checked 2 times. Fine.
Unlimited 400/200s. Racked over 30,000 on them. Lost one nozzle and sent all 8 in. All fine. Still hazed.
450/400s. Haze lol
Ran:

Gearhead
Swamps
Tyrant
2 forum members
And now my own.

Motor has been shatkicked from the start. All those injectors. All those tunes. Motor still runs. Cold starts are fine. Hit starts are fine.
Mine has a blueish tinge but smells nothing of oil. Raw fuel.

Some tweaks minimized it via tuning. Sometimes it'll cold start with minimal amounts. Other times it will have a bit more.

Ya. I wouldn't want to just live with it being an 80% nozzle. But. 30k on it and it's still running smooth.
Who cares

V-Ref

Reaction score
Swamps HFHV modded IDM idled smoother than a stock IDM for me when I was chasing this same romp. You might use this as an excuse to try one :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

02BigD

Reaction score
Maybe V-Ref hit the nail on the head. I've never had idle haze with 30,80,100 or 200 nozzles. Other than A handful of different tuners, primarily Gearhead, and some turbo changes in there, its been the same motor that Carson built back in 2009-10 that now has almost 70k on the clock.

Swamps IDM, Gen3, Melling, cleaned heads, headers, Swamps Injectors, Matt's cam, Mahle pistons with work on the bowl (that slightly decompressed the engine which in my mind would increase the likelihood for the truck to haze when cold) & Carson put it together.

On cold mornings (for here that would be around 45), its rompy for the first 8 to 10 seconds then smooths right out. I've always attributed that to the Gen3 more than anything...dunno.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Clears up almost completely when warm, has a raw fuel smell

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Gearhead

Reaction score
I still haven't figured out why some trucks do it and some don't with the exact combo of parts and relatively good compression. If you are having issues with cold idle haze and you've verified the glow plugs and compression, tell me where the smoke is happening vs EOT and I can probably come up with some timing additions to help the smoke.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I mean, as long as it's not an indication of something bad or going to cause harm to the truck I'm not too concerned

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
good discussion-- a minor tuning detail may be it. Sometimes a live tune is what it takes to knock these things down.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Maybe V-Ref hit the nail on the head. I've never had idle haze with 30,80,100 or 200 nozzles. Other than A handful of different tuners, primarily Gearhead, and some turbo changes in there, its been the same motor that Carson built back in 2009-10 that now has almost 70k on the clock.

Swamps IDM, Gen3, Melling, cleaned heads, headers, Swamps Injectors, Matt's cam, Mahle pistons with work on the bowl (that slightly decompressed the engine which in my mind would increase the likelihood for the truck to haze when cold) & Carson put it together.

On cold mornings (for here that would be around 45), its rompy for the first 8 to 10 seconds then smooths right out. I've always attributed that to the Gen3 more than anything...dunno.

Oh the gen3 shake and shudder lol. Makes the truck sound baddass on cold starts hahaha.

Modded idm is waiting for me to pick it up lol :). Hopefully it helps

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine has done it since about 100k. Jake(lincolnlocker) said his did it after the ccv mod. He plumbed the ccv back into the intake and it stopped. Maybe it is true. Mine also.had the ccv reroute done around 90k and the winter after that it started doing it. Since i put the srp and fuel system on its worse. It smokes as bad as it did with 175/80s and stock oil/fuel.

Mine is definitely fuel. It smells like an old non turbo tractor.

I have noticed it'll do it below 50° and its egt related. Depending on ambient temps. A hot truck in cooler weather doesnt do it. A cold truck in cool weather does.

It was markedly better with a muffler. As the packing was absorbing it.

Seems to be common.

My truck is a 00, auto, with nvk4 pcm and php tuning. Does it with and without the chip.

firehunter

Reaction score
Mine is definitely fuel. It smells like an old non turbo tractor.

I have noticed it'll do it below 50° and its egt related. Depending on ambient temps. A hot truck in cooler weather doesnt do it. A cold truck in cool weather does.

Did you mean EOT or EGT related? Mine seems to be EOT related and exactly at that 50* mark you mentioned. I started mine after sitting overnight when it was 48* ambient and the smoke quit like a light switch once it hit 50*. I have a 2000 6-speed and only 30% nozzles but same results that is described here.

Mine is also eye-watering fuel. Uses no oil at all. Gearhead tuning and I have emailed and talked to Matt several times about this condition. He has given me multiple test files but no significant changes in the smoke yet. Here's to hoping someone finds a cure! :pint:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Right! The smoke is acrid and makes your eyes water. Its fuel.

Im not sure if my oil temp is related. When egts get over 500.degrees the smoke disappears. It could be tuning related but i dont know. A tuner told me the timing probably needs adjustment.

firehunter

Reaction score
Right! The smoke is acrid and makes your eyes water. Its fuel.

Im not sure if my oil temp is related. When egts get over 500.degrees the smoke disappears. It could be tuning related but i dont know. A tuner told me the timing probably needs adjustment.

I live just over a mile from the nearest paved road and take my kids to the bus stop almost every morning. Most morning are below freezing, I let the truck idle (and smoking) for around 3-4 minutes then gently drive to the bus stop - usually 3rd gear the whole way. During this drive the smoke will eventually go away just in the couple of minutes, EGT's get right around that 500* mark. Once I get there I put it in high idle and after a couple more minutes the smoke will come back. The EGT's were over 500* but only for a couple of minutes, EOT's haven't reached 50* yet. That's a lot of oil to heat up.

On Edit: I asked about this issue a while back as well... http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31194 and got some interesting responses.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Chelsea's Excursion has started doing this as well... Two issues that I noticed so far...

1. Her T-stat was broken. In the last cold snap the oil temp would never get above 120*... It was smoking constant at that point. Put a new T-stat in and now the oil temp is right at 190-200* after 10-12 miles. Comes up to 120-130* at high idle.

2. Glow plugs... I converted the Ex PCM to a PMT a few years ago to finally rid myself of the GPCM... I should have replaced the glow plugs at that time but didnt. I am sure there are at least 3-4 that are just plain not working. Summer project.

Even with these changes it still white smokes until you get some heat in her. This is with straight AC's.

Latest posts

Members online