38r and your experience

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Alright I'll start at the beginning. Bought a sweet very clean 01 ccsb lariat with a zf. Truck had an intake/exhaust and some sort of a tune on it (no idea what it is). I put a set of gauges in it and a big single disc clutch just because of what I use it for which is pulling the horse trailer. Pulled the trailer with the horses to a couple of shows, truck runs great except the usual surge and it would get toasty if I kept it to the wood pulling a hill. Figured I'd buy a 38r, everyone raves about them, so what the hell its only a $1300 turbo and its bolt on. Test drove the truck empty and was not impressed. Didn't spool any faster, still smoked the same egts were maybe 100-150* lower. Hooked it to the trailer same thing, laggy, smoky etc. At this point I'm not happy at all with it as far as I'm concerned I bought a $1300 paperweight, and all I gained was eliminating the surge.

I know you're all going to jump on me and say it's a boost leak or exhaust leak, this ain't my first rodeo and I've been over it a half a dozen times. You can also blame it on the tuning but it should still be better than what it is.

I guess what I'm looking for is others experiences with this charger compared to a stock one. I've always just jumped into a t4 charger and kinda skipped this drop in turbo stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
What exhaust housing does it have on it? Map sensor hose look good and fit tight on both ends? There's no reason at all a 38r should be laggy. There's quite a few things to check out before you blame the turbo. Do you have a scanner? Could also be the tune...

I had a 38r on my 2002 with 238/100's and with stock injectors, it spooled better than stock even with stock injectors.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I ran a 38R with stock injectors for about a week before the injectors went.

I could feel a difference the first time I press the pedal egts dropped quite abit WOT cleaned up the stock injectors really well spool up was great I was running a DP tuner F5 with "140 aggressive tune"

Injectors went out put so swamps 160/100's a T500,swamps HVHF IDM PHP Hydra with swamps tunes etc loved that combo had lots of power spool up was excellent egts never went over 1350 WOT on swamps drag tune.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
The wastegate is set at 24psi and it has the 1.0 housing. Map sensor hose is fine. I have a hard time believing it's the tune as the stock charger was very responsive.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
My dad has a 2001 dually. It has php tunes, adrenaline hpop, factory injectors, 38r, and 300,000 miles on it. The turbo is new and this truck pulls hard for the little that is done to it. No smoke, turbo spools good. It doesn't have gauges so I don't know the egts but it will pull trailers with 10,000 pounds on them with ease.

I had 250/100s and a 38r and all I had was a slight haze except in the forged motor drag tune. On a pmr motor and in a ccsb truck I went 8.25 in the 1/8th.
My experiences with the 38r have been good but everybody has their own opinion

CurtisF

Reaction score
The wastegate is set at 24psi
Crank down the wastegate actuator arm as hard as you can to keep it from opening at all. There's no reason to have the wastegate open on a 38r running on stock injectors.

At minimum the 38R should be just as responsive on the bottom end as the stock turbo. In your original post you said it was just as laggy as the stocker, and just as smoky. If that's the case (and you've tightened the wastegate down so we can rule that out), then there's something else going on with the truck. And yes, tuning can play a part in that too.

David N

Reaction score
I ran mine with 250/100's for several years. It ran consistent 8.4-8.5's all day long.

After I blew my PMR motor I swapped out nozzles to 250/200's and its still chugging along. Mine probably has 40k miles on it. And they haven't been easy miles by any means. I did do a billet wheel but Im not sure if it helped. It did make it quieter though. I love mine though. Much less headache than a T4 setup and easier to maintain. And for a daily driven truck, its all the turbo you'll ever need.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I also have a 38R. Been on the truck since 2007. Zero issues at all with it.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Just another thought....... not knocking the installation. I'm sure you've checked it all and it's fine.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.......

It is pretty common for the exhaust to leak at the up-pipe donuts any time you remove the turbo. Any movement in the pipe on those donuts cause them to break their seal, and they'll never seat correctly again, resulting in an exhaust leak. Check to see if you're getting soot on the up-pipes behind the turbo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The wastegate is set at 24psi and it has the 1.0 housing. Map sensor hose is fine. I have a hard time believing it's the tune as the stock charger was very responsive.

holy fuggin chit ballz! crank that bish tight! after i did headgaskets in my dually i was told to limit boost to 30psi so i set the wastegate at 30 and it ran like dog chit.. finally after some small adjustments and set at 34lbs, it came back to life!

live life full throttle

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Yes checked the up pipes multiple times and they are not leaking. I was kinda thinking it might be the wastegate being set light and was going to try it this weekend.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Tighten the wastegate so that it can't open at all like mentioned above. I ran mine tightened all the way down with 180/80's with no problems.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
One time a buddy called me and asked for help getting his exhaust collector lined up cause he was swapping turbos and couldnt get it back on. I went and helped him finish the job. He started it, we checked for leaks, cracked a cold beer while it was warming up. he moved the old turbo so he could sit on the bench and it was at that point he realized he put his old turbo back on...

I just have to ask.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
One time a buddy called me and asked for help getting his exhaust collector lined up cause he was swapping turbos and couldnt get it back on. I went and helped him finish the job. He started it, we checked for leaks, cracked a cold beer while it was warming up. he moved the old turbo so he could sit on the bench and it was at that point he realized he put his old turbo back on...

I just have to ask.

This is freakin awesome!

rusty1161

Reaction score

I just have to ask.

That is classic!

littleredstroker

Reaction score
That is classic!

This is freakin awesome!

He was no Newb either. . . and i didnt even think to look. He asked for help with the collector and thats what i did. LOL swapped it back out AGAIN in less than an hour so it wasnt too bad.

As far as wastegate goes... this what I did. Its actually very adjustable. 100% functional . shoulda painted it tho
a6aquna2.jpg

sent while staring at a windowed block

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
As stated, crank that wastegate down as tight as you can get it. I hit about 26psi in a stock tune. 30+ psi in a daily tune.

38R is a good turbo for stock to slightly larger output injectors.

Just throwing a 38R on the truck with no additional fuel will not yield a huge increase. You could throw any turbo on there and without additional fuel, performance isn't really going anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online