6.7 fuel pump install diy

swinky

Reaction score
I just installed a 6.7 pump on my truck and I'm very happy with it. The overall install was pretty easy.

First thing you will need is a fuel pump install kit from eBay, jegs, summit..... I got mine from jegs and it included a relay, circuit breaker, some electrical connections and it was pre wired.
56cf9b570c497b5f6797d683a750fff0.jpg

The red wire was battery power. I ran that to the battery with a circuit breaker in the middle

82faaf111937b7923d2a9d9731a014f3.jpg

Now you have three more wires.
1. Power to pump
2. Ground
3. Switched power

Power to the pump was the purple wire 10ga that simply ran straight to the pump.

For the ground I just went to a known good ground under the dash, the same one my gauges were grounded to. This wire ran straight out of the relay box to ground on the metal framing.

Now you need switched power so the 6.7 pump will turn on and off like the factory pump. For this I cut the power wire (red wire for me) that originally powered the 6.0 hfcm. I cut the original connector off and spliced into that. Now every time the truck tries to send power to the 6.0 pump you're actually sending power to close the relay and send power to your 6.7 pump.

* I do believe there is a power wire under the dash you can splice into but I didn't want to take any chances

Now you need to ground your 6.7 pump. Once again I just ran wire from the pump into the cab to the same known good ground. Now your pump should turn on with the key as the 6.0 pump did.

MOUNTING.

Well the 6.7 pump doesn't fit where the 6blow pump was. I mounted mine on the inside of the frame in front of the fuel tank. TIP* I had some touch up paint in the truck so I painted the end of the studs on the pump bracket then pressed them into the frame once I had the bracket lined up. This left four nice marks on the frame for me to drill. I would recommend a small bit for accuracy then follow with the correct size bit. My drill bits danced on the frame a little and I ended up having to drill the holes a little big to get all four to line up. The studs are metric M8 1.25 I believe.

Now that it's mounted you can run your lines. The 6.7 pump is 1/2 feed, out and return. 1/2 line from my sump to the pump was simple. If you don't have a sump don't install this pump. Now feed was tricky. I'm running the factory bowl so I just removed the whole factory feed line and put 1/2 fuel hose over the male threaded fitting on the bowl ( I will be changing this with a y block and a frame mounted filter to get rid of the bowl completely) Now for the return. My regulated return maintained the factory return line so I just cut the fittings off that use to go on the 6.0 pump and hooked them together with 3/8 fuel hose. The return is going straight to the tank and bypassing the 6.7 pump completely.

I highly recommend buying quality butt splices and ring terminals. Heat shrink everything and cover any wire outside the cab with some wire loom.

I will edit this with more pictures and anything I forgot.

I haven't monitored pressure yet but my egts went up 250-300 degrees and it's running strong as ever. Butt dyno says about 50hp gain up top, keep in mind my old pump was making less than 20 psi over 3000 rpms.

bretferd

Reaction score
:thumbsup: Way to go man. Nice little write up.

Did you get the 6.7 wiring pigtail too? Also maybe can you show how you got the power to the pump connector?

swinky

Reaction score
:thumbsup: Way to go man. Nice little write up.

Did you get the 6.7 wiring pigtail too? Also maybe can you show how you got the power to the pump connector?
Negative. Two blue spade connectors did the trick. *** that $60 pig tail. I bought the pump used and I only have $150 in the whole deal.

04cr450

Reaction score
awesome write up bud! your the first write-up for the 6.7, i think i am the first to do a write-up on the 6.4 pump in the 6.0(wrote that on the org ). both are great mods to do on a 6.0 for sure!

Work&play

Reaction score
I would love to replace my POS Airdog II with the 6.7 pump.
What are you running for filters ?

white00strokerks

Reaction score
fuel pump

Havent looked at the 6.7 pump so this may be a stupid question but why did you re-wire the new pump. is it not poissible to use the same wires that the 6.0 pump uses? Just wondering because it seems this would be easier and it would already be fused and come on with the key. I like you setup and Im sure there is a reason for the way you did it I was just wondering what it was.

swinky

Reaction score
It really was easy now that I've done it.

If anyone ends up doing this shoot me a text and I'll be happy to walk you through it if needed.
56one-723-5179

Work&play

Reaction score
Stock 6.7 filter and upper 6.0 filter.

Is the 6.7 pump also a water separator ?

Also is a sump really needed.
My truck is a cab and chassis and the tank is aft of the axle with a skid plate on it.

Thanks for all your help.

swinky

Reaction score
Is the 6.7 pump also a water separator ?

Also is a sump really needed.
My truck is a cab and chassis and the tank is aft of the axle with a skid plate on it.

Thanks for all your help.
Yeah unless you find a way to convert your feed to 1/2" and even then I think this pump might flow a little too much to be pulling from that small feed.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well the 6.7 pump doesn't fit where the 6blow pump was. I mounted mine on the inside of the frame in front of the fuel tank. TIP* I had some touch up paint in the truck so I painted the end of the studs on the pump bracket then pressed them into the frame once I had the bracket lined up. This left four nice marks on the frame for me to drill. I would recommend a small bit for accuracy then follow with the correct size bit. My drill bits danced on the frame a little and I ended up having to drill the holes a little big to get all four to line up. The studs are metric M8 1.25 I believe.

nice ! dimple die works great for starting a drill bit on the frame.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
How is fuel pressure holding for you? Im running 205/100's with a KC68 and I drop 18-20psi at wot with a 6.4/6.0 pump setup with a sump and RR.

swinky

Reaction score
Oh wow. Well I would say it would be able to then. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it?
I'll get some Friday I'm on the boat till then. I just drilled 4 holes in the frame for the studs on the 6.7 bracket to go through. Then nuts on the outside frame rail holding it in place.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.