6.7 turbo kit review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
In my world, you need to earn respect before you start slinging stuff around that requires me to try to figure out what's in your head.

Lets just clear this up.
The 6.7 gods comment was taken from an instagram mudslinging contest between Steve and Evan and brought here by Steve.
I am Justin and had nothing to do with that. I have had the usernames cfd_shop, and zippyrat.
If you guys look back into the history I am sure you will see I have been respectful all along and never posted links to products etc.

That all being said I am the first to admit I am new to forums, and I am a bit sarcastic and cynical, I also like to horse around and get a rise out of a guy every now and then.

I am as easy going as they get and just don't get excited. This is all in good fun. I do however think that allot of my humor or demeanor is not being properly transferred into my posting. I am working hard to provide the proper tone by using the additional graphics provided by the forum.

I appreciate all the advice I have gotten so far, and took it as constructive criticism and not insults. I have given you guys the benefit of the doubt. I think if you guys just look at my posting under the light of a guy who likes doing this stuff, not a guy trying to represent a company you will interpret me differently.

Thanks you for the input

Spindrift

Reaction score
Lets just clear this up.
The 6.7 gods comment was taken from an instagram mudslinging contest between Steve and Evan and brought here by Steve.
I am Justin and had nothing to do with that. I have had the usernames cfd_shop, and zippyrat.
If you guys look back into the history I am sure you will see I have been respectful all along and never posted links to products etc.

That all being said I am the first to admit I am new to forums, and I am a bit sarcastic and cynical, I also like to horse around and get a rise out of a guy every now and then.

I am as easy going as they get and just don't get excited. This is all in good fun. I do however think that allot of my humor or demeanor is not being properly transferred into my posting. I am working hard to provide the proper tone by using the additional graphics provided by the forum.

I appreciate all the advice I have gotten so far, and took it as constructive criticism and not insults. I have given you guys the benefit of the doubt. I think if you guys just look at my posting under the light of a guy who likes doing this stuff, not a guy trying to represent a company you will interpret me differently.

Thanks you for the input

Actually, that was absolutely free fatherly advice...advice you didn't ask for so I probably should have kept my mouth shut. Nonetheless, I hope everything you just said is well intentioned. Assuming that's the case, I wish you the best of luck. I do hope you realize that sarcasm and cynicism on the interweb from someone that not a lot of folks know, isn't the best way to win friends and influence people. Just sayin'.

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Actually, that was absolutely free fatherly advice...advice you didn't ask for so I probably should have kept my mouth shut. Nonetheless, I hope everything you just said is well intentioned. Assuming that's the case, I wish you the best of luck. I do hope you realize that sarcasm and cynicism on the interweb from someone that not a lot of folks know, isn't the best way to win friends and influence people. Just sayin'.

I am finding that out pops!!!lol
I hope that is taken in good fun.
Yes interweb communication is an artforum. Different language barriers and culture.
I think when you meet me in person I say allot of stuff with a big grin.
I should probably use that symbol behind my posting more often.:D

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Update: I got the kit a little over a week ago and there were some quality control issues as well as some things I prefer be different. The new parts should be here on Wednesday. Even though there were some QC issues, Justin at CFD has been great to work with and they are taking care of it.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Quality control issues. Are you kidding me? Its not even a massed produced part. I'd be ticked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Good Point.
The OP had few special request.
He did not want the header ports blended and he wanted heavier welds on all the headers and uppipe joints that were not ground flush like we normally do.
I think there were a few other things he wanted changed but i am sure he will post about them.
He is a real big help and has a unique perspective on things. He has been great with feedback so far.
We sent the new headers and uppipes out last week but they were not there as of yet.
I am going to let the OP give his review, I don't want to interfere.

Sounds like his feedback isn't as good as you talk. Having to send replacement parts out prior to install due to the customer visual inspections revealing problems is not so good for reputation....

Let me also say that I think it's absolutely asinine you are always making excuses for bad work by CFD. "The customer requested no port blending and heavier welds..." Ummm.... you let stuff go out unfinished? I'd return their money before I'd ever send out something that wasn't up to my standards. I've seen your header sets too. The port flanges are never "port blended" by you guys. Everything I've seen is done with tubing smaller than the port and the gaps are filled with MIG wire. Externally they aren't *terrible*, internally they are a performance nightmare and a turbo eating mess. All that slag and pipe burrs end up in turbine wheels eventually. That to me is pretty bad to leave your customers jeopardizing their engines because CFD is unable to have quality craftsmanship. Obviously the reports of these issues are becoming more and more common, which is sad. You guys could very easily do something with the idea that would rock. Your mouths and actions are the cinder blocks holding you back from treading water

No I do not, I asked a general question with no mention of my company.
I do not mention my company in any post, and in my last post I just gave general info about the situation.

All that "gods" stuff really got you boys fired up heh?
SOmetimes you have to take stuff with a grain of salt.

Here's the thing, all the trash talking by you guys and the 12 screen names, wasn't in "good fun". It was always of a negative intention or a derogatory nature toward two specific companies and one forum. Nobody here is going to forget that, grain of salt or not. You have apologized enough and you've said you want to make amends but I never see it. All i see is shameless bussiness plugs, a constant touting of "we're #1 we did it first", and a perpetuance to spew concocted rubbish out on the forum as proven fact. Write this down: You weren't number 1 to anything 6.7 performance. H&S had been working on a single kit for their own truck long before you got a customers truck to use. SPE had the first set of market ready CP4 dual fuelers, not you. And if you wanted to get technical about it, Elite had CP4 dual fuelers mocked on a motor for awhile prior to that, either way, it still means it wasn't you. H&S had the first set of cp3/cp4 dual rulers, not you. The idea of using a cp3 on a 6.7 was thought up back in early 2010, it couldn't be done due to physical limitations. The guy who came up with the idea lives in Colorado, that makes it not you. Using a s300 turbo on a 6.7 was done by H&S before you had a truck, that wasn't your idea and nobody copied something from you that didn't exist at the time they built their singles and compound kits. Using a 62,63, or a 66mm turbo on a 6.7 makes nothing proprietary, you can keep screaming that people use the turbo you do based off compressor specifications all you want but it truly only makes you look more foolish than you already do. In short, while it is cool to have something custom like a turbo kit to bring to market, and I applaud that no matter how hideous and lacking it is because everybody needs options, it doesn't make you "God's" or "God's gift to the 6.7". it just makes you a shop with a product to sell, PERIOD. If you act like that and stop trying to worm your way to mediocre success by spreading lies and nonsense about the 6.7, and everything 6.7 associated(including shops dedicated to the platform) you might find yourself on new ground and with a tad bit of respect from these guys here. As of right now, the only people on your side are the handful of new members you recruited from .org who only know what you feed them. That says a lot.

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Point taken, hopefully the OP or some other members maybe able to help you with the questions you have Steve.

I am just a guy here to talk about trucks for now.

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I can say that the ports on the manifolds I got were fully blended. Blending takes out material though, and strength is more important to me than getting every last horsepower out of my truck. This is the main reason I'm having them redo the manifolds.

There are two big reasons I'm going with Confederate:

1. The customer service they are providing is excellent.

2. My truck is broken. All the other companies are still farting around with their turbo kits after well over 3 freaking years of this truck being out. CFD is fixing trucks with a turbo that doesn't SUCK like the oem MoFoCo piece of **** harbor freight turbo designed by freaking :morons: We could give some kindergartners some fcking crayons, tell them to draw a turbo, then give those drawings to a foundry as blueprints and come up with a better product than MoFoCo did. I took my turbo apart to find out exactly why it failed. It failed because the design is TOTAL F'ING GARBAGE!!!! All the other companies saying they will have a kit done in 2-3 weeks every 2-3 weeks, or maybe by Christmas, or maybe next summer, or maybe 2018 have pissed me off. I need my truck back on the road and not with another MoFoCo pos harbor freight turbo. Can you tell Ford made me mad? lol

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I can say that the ports on the manifolds I got were fully blended. Blending takes out material though, and strength is more important to me than getting every last horsepower out of my truck. This is the main reason I'm having them redo the manifolds.

There are two big reasons I'm going with Confederate:

1. The customer service they are providing is excellent.

2. My truck is broken. All the other companies are still farting around with their turbo kits after well over 3 freaking years of this truck being out. CFD is fixing trucks with a turbo that doesn't SUCK like the oem MoFoCo piece of **** harbor freight turbo designed by freaking :morons: We could give some kindergartners some fcking crayons, tell them to draw a turbo, then give those drawings to a foundry as blueprints and come up with a better product than MoFoCo did. I took my turbo apart to find out exactly why it failed. It failed because the design is TOTAL F'ING GARBAGE!!!! All the other companies saying they will have a kit done in 2-3 weeks every 2-3 weeks, or maybe by Christmas, or maybe next summer, or maybe 2018 have pissed me off. I need my truck back on the road and not with another MoFoCo pos harbor freight turbo. Can you tell Ford made me mad? lol

its not a fomoco turbo.

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm not some sap that doesn't know anything about diesel trucks recruited on "the org" to tout CFD's products. I've been playing with diesel trucks myself since 1997. This is the sixth diesel truck I've had. I was a mechanic for a little over a year in 1996 and decided that I hate doing this for a living. That year I put a fuel injected engine from an 87 IROC Z Camero into my 69 gmc truck and it ran very well for years. Since then I've worked on peoples' vehicles (mostly family and friends) on my own time over the years to make extra cash. I've replaced engines, transmissions, timing belts, rebuilt rear ends, and done a lot of body work. My main hobby is working on antique stationary engines where I have to engineer and make many of my own parts because they haven't been made in decades. I have my own welders, a plasma cutter, a lathe, drill press, grinders, bla bla bla and make a lot of my own tools. I don't know everything, but I know a lot more than your average shade tree mechanic and I have a very good understanding of basic engineering principals.

bricewise

Reaction score
Hope all those skills allow you to put that turbo on in a hurry....

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard it was made by honywell, they said Garrett in the initial press releases, and says FoMoCo on the turbo. I don't know what to believe. It should say Chicago Pneumatic by Harbor Freight.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm not some sap that doesn't know anything about diesel trucks recruited on "the org" to tout CFD's products. I've been playing with diesel trucks myself since 1997. This is the sixth diesel truck I've had. I was a mechanic for a little over a year in 1996 and decided that I hate doing this for a living. That year I put a fuel injected engine from an 87 IROC Z Camero into my 69 gmc truck and it ran very well for years. Since then I've worked on peoples' vehicles (mostly family and friends) on my own time over the years to make extra cash. I've replaced engines, transmissions, timing belts, rebuilt rear ends, and done a lot of body work. My main hobby is working on antique stationary engines where I have to engineer and make many of my own parts because they haven't been made in decades. I have my own welders, a plasma cutter, a lathe, drill press, grinders, bla bla bla and make a lot of my own tools. I don't know everything, but I know a lot more than your average shade tree mechanic and I have a very good understanding of basic engineering principals.

and you bought from cfd? why not spe, RCD, or elite?

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hope all those skills allow you to put that turbo on in a hurry....

Nope. I take my time with this sort of thing and do my best to get it done right. At CFD they are throwing around some ideas about redesigning some aspects of this kit and this may delay when I actually get my truck running.

The thing is that everybody has an idea of how they want this kit made. I have my own ideas of what the perfect kit should be. There are certain aspects from kits some companies are someday putting out that I like. There are things about every kit that I don't like. CFD is willing to accommodate me without charging me a butload of money and they can do it this year. I'm going to get the perfect kit and it's going to be made the way I want it. This kind of flexibility is awesome and I've never found it in any other company.

DirtbikePilot

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
and you bought from cfd? why not spe, RCD, or elite?

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Can any of those companies actually supply me with a kit this year? Not from what I've seen. Will they make it the way I want it and put up with my fussiness? I doubt it.

chromehound

Reaction score
Stupid question but does your truck still have a warrenty? I ask because you want it back on the road soon and I'd think that an OEM replacement would've done that faster and at less cost under warrenty. It may not be what you want in the long run but it'd have given you time for any mfg to get their kit together - even with the changes you want and still allowed you to use your truck.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
MPD has been making kits for a little while now. You could have ordered one from them and have little down time. Very nice kits at a reasonable price. Did you call around first before siding with cfd?

3brorce

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to build your own turbo kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online