6-speed tuned trucks Cruise control

dozer

Reaction score
My H&S also works with dry shift from 5th to 6th (no clutch). Its sucks, but at least I can get it to work when I really need it.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I don't know about the kem tunes but my h&s has issues with the cruise, you have to float gears from 5th to 6th in order for it to work at all.... Then if you lay into it hard passing someone you have to turn the key off and restart.... H&S told me it has to do with the torque management system on these trucks, but it sure is a pain in the a$$!

:whs:
you can also use the clutch out of 4th, let out of the clutch and slip into 6th with the H&S. When I ran a SCT with KEM 210, cruise worked fine.
I should note when I was running the SCT with KEM tune, I still had the EGR on and I selected I had not disabled it, no intake elbow, and I didn't select that I had changed the tire size even though I was running 35s.

Last edited:

87jumpy

Reaction score
a6b5037c-26d2-2232.jpg

Sucks to be y'all

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

superdutyfarmer

Reaction score
I can do that too, but to keep it working through the entire key cycle is the problem, also, out of curiosity, what would the difference of ''floating'' 5-6 gear be? The last time I took the trans out I don't remember anything other than a neutral and reverse sensor. How does the truck know what gear it is in?

B585Ford

Reaction score
I can do that too, but to keep it working through the entire key cycle is the problem, also, out of curiosity, what would the difference of ''floating'' 5-6 gear be? The last time I took the trans out I don't remember anything other than a neutral and reverse sensor. How does the truck know what gear it is in?

I would love to know too. Every diesel mechanic I have ever talked to can't give me an answer either.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. I am torn between a 6.4 and a 5.9 and have been reading up. I am not too worried about having a 6 Speed without Cruise Control, but it makes me wonder why certain parameters are locked out with a 6 Speed?

Chris

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
Yeah how does it know what gear is selected? I only had a cruise problem once, it was some wack h&s update where everything else was screwy too. I couldnt live without cruise with the amount of miles I put on, I even added it to my 7.3.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yeah how does it know what gear is selected? I only had a cruise problem once, it was some wack h&s update where everything else was screwy too. I couldnt live without cruise with the amount of miles I put on, I even added it to my 7.3.

I just wanted to confirm that with your H&S, you have to shift without the clutch to get it to work....right?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
When I had the Xrt pro you had to float from 5th to 6th without using the clutch in order for the cruise to work, but with my mini max you can use the clutch thru all gears...... But if you go over a certain speed it kills the cruise and have to cycle the key off and on in order to get cruise again....

Dieselgeek

Reaction score

My guess is because there is a sensor on your clutch pedal itself... Once you depress the clutch, it kicks it out of cruise... Therefore if you float the gears, the computer doesn't know, as you didn't depress the clutch. I don't have a 6.4, but do have a 7.3 6spd, and I'm guessing the zf6 hasn't changed much since.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
My guess is because there is a sensor on your clutch pedal itself... Once you depress the clutch, it kicks it out of cruise... Therefore if you float the gears, the computer doesn't know, as you didn't depress the clutch. I don't have a 6.4, but do have a 7.3 6spd, and I'm guessing the zf6 hasn't changed much since.

Bingo. Exactly wat i was gonna say. Beat me to it lol. Its just like a big truck. The clutch switch in the pedal will kick it out of cruise. Same for a pickup. But since pickups have a better computer it relies on that switch to tell it wat ur doing. I no with the factory intake elbow and kem tunes with egr deleted thru tune if i floated 5th to 6th cruise never worked. U had to use the clutch. But after this past build my cruise does not work at all. Im getting inpatient waiting for a fix.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Nope, I just shift normally and cruise works perfect now, even with the KEM tunes.

Now I am confused as ever...we have a very similar build and the same clutch other than mine is likely an older version...your cruise works, mine doesn't. Does anyone know where specifically the sensor is?

B585Ford

Reaction score

That seems logical...anybody have a clue as to why it works fine in 5th but I have to trick it to get it to work in 6th?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
H&S told me the cruise issue had to do with the torque management program on these trucks...

Sensor should be on the pedal, because with my Valair dd it releases enough to shift at 1/4 to half pedal... Before I updated to the mini max I tried all kinds of shift strategy to get the cruise to work... The only way mine would work was to never even bump the clutch pedal and float 5 to 6... I would forget and just bump the pedal during the shift process and the cruise wouldn't work...

Last edited:

tensixniner

Reaction score
My cruise works with either H&S or KEM tunes.

If cruise works at all then it's not likely to be tune related.

Touching the brake or clutch pedal is suppossed to disengage cruise.
You'll need to hit either resume or ON and Set + to turn it back on.

If your speed changes by 10mph or more while cruise is on it will automatically deactivate.

Slipping the trans out of gear with cruise on might over rev your engine.

Early tunes from all sources had issues with cruise not working when the egr valve and/or throttle plate was unplugged.

Check the clutch pedal position switch, brake pedal switch and the connectors that use to plug into the egr/throttle plate if your egr is deleted .
Something may be shorted or open when it's not suppossed to be.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Before I tuned mine it worked perfect, after I installed the Xrt pro with the hot damn tunes in feb of this year it would not work of you used the clutch to shift in all gears... I called h&s and they told me it was tune related due to the torque management system and the tune! They told me o shift 5 to 6 without touching the clutch... After I did that it worked fine, I now have the mini max as of July and it works fine using the clutch in all gears... It didn't matter how you did it if you touched the clutch any at all when shifting to 6th it would not work! You could release and shift back to 5th using the clutch then float back to 6th and the cruise would work just fine!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.