Added ts 6 pos now cranks but wont start

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
Well im taking the alternator and starter to AZ to br tested and im going to pick up a cam sensor while im there

bad12jr

Reaction score
Do not get a cam sensor at Autozone!!! Go to a ford dealer. Autozone part store ones are junk.

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
Im grabbing a cheap one just to see if it makes a difference if it does I will buy a high end one

Tom S

Reaction score
Until you get to where you have good cranking speed/proper voltage she is not going to fire up. I assume you still have the slow crank issue correct?

bad12jr

Reaction score
The problem is you could get it and it be bad and new. They have around a 50% dead out of the box rate.

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
Yeah its still cranking slow.. and acting like the batteries are dead but they are fine I had them tested

Tom S

Reaction score
Then you have a weak starter or more likely a bad connection someplace that is causing a voltage drop. How slow is it cranking?

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
:blitzed::blitzed:So I've been drinking and was just dropped off at home and decided for some reason to try and start my truck and it fired up... WTF! ! ! Hopefully it still works when im sober :blitzed:

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
If its clicking and the batteries are good, then you have a connection issue or your starter is dragging badly and needs replaced.

I saw an early 99 that would barely start that I swore the batteries were bad, but they were brand new. It would turnover slowly and start clicking relays. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. We finally tried a new starter, and now it fires right up everytime.

Dieselroller

Reaction score
Just FYI, have a chip in mine, you have to take the computer our of the truck and clean the coating off the terminals where the chip goes or you will continue to have connection problems

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
Ok so problem solved.. here's what happened..

Days before I installed my chip my ac compressor pully burnt up its clutches causing it to lock up .. causing my truck to not crank over.. I noticed this when I took off the belt and it worked then when I put it back on it wouldn't do anything .. so words of wisdom check your belt and pullies!

Tom S

Reaction score
Ok so problem solved.. here's what happened..

Days before I installed my chip my ac compressor pully burnt up its clutches causing it to lock up .. causing my truck to not crank over.. I noticed this when I took off the belt and it worked then when I put it back on it wouldn't do anything .. so words of wisdom check your belt and pullies!

So you are saying the AC compressor was locked up? That was a heck of a one to come up.

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
yeah thats all it was... it was pretty crazy let me tell ya.. after talking with woodduck97 on the phone several times and taking the starter batteries and alternator off and having them all tested.. it was the damn AC the entire time..

Thanks everyone for the help
and a big thanks to woodduck97

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm surprised there was enough tension on the serpentine belt to cause the slow starts. I'm even more surprised the serpentine belt didn't burn up and break before now. Its kind of an odd coincidence that the AC compressor locked up the same time you installed the chip.

You might check your belt tensioner to make sure its not applying too much tension. I'm glad you figured it out though. If it was my truck and my luck, it would have snapped the belt a hundred miles from home, leaving me stranded. You should consider yourself lucky, even though it probably doesn't feel that way.

Mike For Mayor

Reaction score
yeah it was crazy.. i have bad luck too i took my jeep to pick up this truck and blew the trans on the way there.. thank god i loved this truck lol i had to tow my jeep 6 hours back home to indiana

Wackerjr

Reaction score
I never touched the harness just removed the e brake and slid the chip in.. I have checked every fuse they are all good and I have checked the battery terms several times and cleaned them

You did pull the pcm and clean the terminals before all of this right?

If so it is easy to push the pins out if you did not get the harness in correctly....

the slow start sure seems to be the culprit to me.... but hell never know...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.