Another T4 thread

TARM

Reaction score
Map only reads so high. Some may have used it back in the day.

Unless you replace it with one that reads higher. That was a short coming for the stock MAP. We ideally need one that went to 40-50 psi. You have to go for a different MAP sensor to use it thru the entire boost range. Then again you can still use it during the ramp up which is when bringing the fuel in is more critical if you want to keep egts and most so smoke lower.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good info. I knew the stock sensor was limited, but did not know there was multiple that could be manipulated so you could use a sensor with a higher range.

I your comment about Matt using the map for tunning is interesting. My PHP 80dd tune is much more smokey than my GH equivalent. I wonder if PHP tunes off the map?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If your php tune like that is smoky you got issues brother. I ran them tunes for YEEEEEARS. In fact i still have a chip with those files in my toolbox next to the 8 boxes of ad injectors. Without a 38r the only one that smoked was the 140 "race". With 38r the race would puff if you stabbed it from a zero boost scenario then at 1500+ the 38r lit and you were off like a prom dress. Best tiw tune i ever had!

The Brad

Reaction score
As Brad mentioned, we got together yesterday and did some comparisons. We first took a ride in his rig and WOW is all I can say.
1. DD tune; We got on the freeway on ramp and pushed it quick on up to 60mph, then hard on up to 95mph. Very Quiet, I could barely hear the Turbo sing'n. Egts were very good as well. I think Brad recorded this as well. Maybe hit 1150 or so.
2. All out Tune; hammered down from 55-95mph. Man that frick'n turbo hits 40psi twice as fast as my 38r does, and the egts come back down lower and much quicker than my 38r also. I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I honestly didn't expect this. This Turbo is very impressive.
So yes, I do have an idle issue, but it's in my conservative tune. It's pulled way back in order to control the smoke and egt's, so I know it's mostly tuning here. In park, I can snap the throttle in this conservative tune and get almost no smoke at all. This is the tune I smog in, even if the idle rolls a bit. My DD tune idles and drives much more decently. Occasionally it'll romp some, but mostly it idles good. Anyhow, I also have to give a thank you to Brad on here for taking the time to come out and plug his Torque Pro in to my rig and provide me with some very good data as well. Maybe he'll post up a run we did in my Hot Tune from a slight roll, on up to 95 mph+/- see what y'all think..

Your hot tune was 3.7ms, 3000ish ICP and about 40% dc. That video is 15 minutes long, so I'll try to isolate the wot run and post it.

Countrycar

Reaction score
let me guess, he can't manage his egts while driving around in the hot tune?

that idle is normal other then rpm fluctuating some but that could be cps related..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
No, my egts where high regardless of the tune I was in. Most of the time I drive in my DD tune, or a very conservative tune that I also have. In this conservative tune, the throttle is bit touchier, and my transmission will down shift a bit quicker also. It helps to keep from lugging the engine, there by creating less smoke and higher egts because it spools up the Turbo. Again, I live in California, so I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I've swapped out the cps with the black, Gray, and blue. No change other than the injectors/engine sounded a bit louder from one to another. But as I mentioned after backing off the wastegate the egts are much better. Before my Turbo would hit 45psi, and now it max's at 40.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Unless you replace it with one that reads higher. That was a short coming for the stock MAP. We ideally need one that went to 40-50 psi. You have to go for a different MAP sensor to use it thru the entire boost range. Then again you can still use it during the ramp up which is when bringing the fuel in is more critical if you want to keep egts and most so smoke lower.

Right. You are ine if the only people i know that are aware of that possibility. The other two work at a local int'l dealership. I dont find the map necessary really. I suppose it may be used somewhere but if things are written linear or flat even in terms of maps, there shouldnt be a huge issue.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No, my egts where high regardless of the tune I was in. Most of the time I drive in my DD tune, or a very conservative tune that I also have. In this conservative tune, the throttle is bit touchier, and my transmission will down shift a bit quicker also. It helps to keep from lugging the engine, there by creating less more smoke and higher egts because it spools up the Turbo. Again, I live in California, so I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I've swapped out the cps with the black, Gray, and blue. No change other than the injectors/engine sounded a bit louder from one to another. But as I mentioned after backing off the wastegate the egts are much better. Before my Turbo would hit 45psi, and now it max's at 40.
holy hell that is still a lot.. back it down to 36ish and report back.. that is where everyone that has ever ran a 38r with big injectors say they perform the best and I can attest to that with what I said earlier..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
No, my egts where high regardless of the tune I was in. Most of the time I drive in my DD tune, or a very conservative tune that I also have. In this conservative tune, the throttle is bit touchier, and my transmission will down shift a bit quicker also. It helps to keep from lugging the engine, there by creating less more smoke and higher egts because it spools up the Turbo. Again, I live in California, so I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I've swapped out the cps with the black, Gray, and blue. No change other than the injectors/engine sounded a bit louder from one to another. But as I mentioned after backing off the wastegate the egts are much better. Before my Turbo would hit 45psi, and now it max's at 40.

I still think if your pw was yanked down 1.0ms across the board your truck would pull a complete 180. That idle pw value has me a little confused and even worrrird about your tunes. I have an old tume with a 1.7ish ms idle pw and it romps and bucks like a whore in an old spring mattress. But at 2.1-2.2ms.....nuclear glass. Atomic smoothness. It sounds like an old mechanical detroit or what have you

I have some idle clips on photobucket that i created to send to someone for help and im reluctant to post them as i sound like a do gooder in them.

ja_cain

Reaction score
If your php tune like that is smoky you got issues brother. I ran them tunes for YEEEEEARS. In fact i still have a chip with those files in my toolbox next to the 8 boxes of ad injectors. Without a 38r the only one that smoked was the 140 "race". With 38r the race would puff if you stabbed it from a zero boost scenario then at 1500+ the 38r lit and you were off like a prom dress. Best tiw tune i ever had!
I didnt mean to imply there was anything wrong with the tune. I know I have leaky up-pipes (I should have prefaced my comments with that fact). Just wondering if php utilized the map readings as Matt's doesn't smoke much at all. It is clearly neutered because of this though. It's almost like the PHP tuning doesn't care what the map is reading. I can't wait to get my bellowed up-pipes on so I can see what kind of effect it has on these two tunes

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
He said it got better once he loosened the gate up a bit. I don't think he broke 1200 in the hot tune which was 3.7ms at 3200icp. It definitely proves something wasn't right with mine.
Yup, and if you recall, I was in my hot tune , pedal to the floor going up a steep onramp, and it didn't hit 1200 degrees. I think it went as high as 1150. Even I was a little surprised. But I think since the Turbo was spooled and stayed spooled it was actually working in its sweet spot, and more so since I had already backed off the gate. It wasn't bad at all. Now if can only figure out the smoke you saw from take off, down low, and on tip in I'd be one happy camper..:sleep:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I didnt mean to imply there was anything wrong with the tune. I know I have leaky up-pipes (I should have prefaced my comments with that fact). Just wondering if php utilized the map readings as Matt's doesn't smoke much at all. It is clearly neutered because of this though. It's almost like the PHP tuning doesn't care what the map is reading. I can't wait to get my bellowed up-pipes on so I can see what kind of effect it has on these two tunes

His tunes dont care....

Ive never ran gh. But some of the stuff im seeing lately, im not sure i want to. Some of the stuff im seeing is bone headed.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Now if can only figure out the smoke you saw from take off, down low, and on tip in I'd be one happy camper..

you won't get rid of that.. period.. that is when a custom turbo will be needed cuz that is a ton of fuel.. I still get that with my setup and I have half the fuel you do... as you stated, you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you have a tune that is bone stock till you get to 3/4 throttle and then all hell breaks loose and you now have the 500+ ponies come to life!! be a ****ty tune but it would work..

live life full throttle

Countrycar

Reaction score
holy hell that is still a lot.. back it down to 36ish and report back.. that is where everyone that has ever ran a 38r with big injectors say they perform the best and I can attest to that with what I said earlier..

live life full throttle

I'll give it a try and report back. Thank you.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I still think if your pw was yanked down 1.0ms across the board your truck would pull a complete 180. That idle pw value has me a little confused and even worrrird about your tunes. I have an old tume with a 1.7ish ms idle pw and it romps and bucks like a whore in an old spring mattress. But at 2.1-2.2ms.....nuclear glass. Atomic smoothness. It sounds like an old mechanical detroit or what have you

I have some idle clips on photobucket that i created to send to someone for help and im reluctant to post them as i sound like a do gooder in them.

LOL< HAA HAA HAA..LOL...I wish I knew how and or had the ability to tune, but I don't. You guys here have quite a bit more knowledge about this than I do. I'll see about gett'n some tweaks done for this though. I appreciate it Ty.

TyCorr

Reaction score
you won't get rid of that.. period.. that is when a custom turbo will be needed cuz that is a ton of fuel.. I still get that with my setup and I have half the fuel you do... as you stated, you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you have a tune that is bone stock till you get to 3/4 throttle and then all hell breaks loose and you now have the 500+ ponies come to life!! be a ****ty tune but it would work..

live life full throttle

Mine doesnt do that....i have to get into the pedal pretty far to get smoke. Its the opposite of small injectors. It drives it hard enough there is no off boost....

My smoke comes in later. We're talking lower pw tunes as i truthfully dont use my two hot ones yet. I dont have traction bars yet.

Countrycar

Reaction score

live life full throttle

Well, this is exactly how I feel, Custom Turbo, but for now I'm just trying to get it to run cleaner. As I mentioned, I got my egts under control, now I'm gonna see if I can't get it cleaned up some. It's close, but not quite there. I'm got a lot going on right now, but I'm gonna try to get some video of my rig and post it up, then get some tune adjustments and keep going from there.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, this is exactly how I feel, Custom Turbo, but for now I'm just trying to get it to run cleaner. As I mentioned, I got my egts under control, now I'm gonna see if I can't get it cleaned up some. It's close, but not quite there. I'm got a lot going on right now, but I'm gonna try to get some video of my rig and post it up, then get some tune adjustments and keep going from there.

Ithink you dont need much of anything. Sounds like you'e gotbugs to get worked out of your systems and possibly get tunes modified.

Take it with grain of salt but i think 3.7ms of pw is waaaay too much unless you were running
a75 mm single. 3ms is more appropriate as a max. That should be over 500hp worth of fuel.

Try to get your gate adjusted out right in a tune that will make enough drive to crack the gate open but not fuel on past it. I think you'll be as pleased as i am. Our setups arent worlds apart. You have more fuel available in hotter tunes. But aside from that 50cc of capacity you are in the same bike race. Your egts could come down another 200-300 degrees if you get your gate set to 36 and you have a better wheel to boot. I do what im describing with the "look at my dikk" wheel i have. So you have a much better chance of dispelling your own myth of turbo issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.