Another T4 thread

TyCorr

Reaction score
All that chit and he's running a 38r. Wtf!?!?! Lol! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't jump in the stupid puddle!

His idle is ***ked because the pw is too low. Thats kindergarten tuning issues. Bump it up to 2.1 ms and it'd turn into nuclear bomb laid glass. I didnt look at icp because it doesnt matter until.you get enough pw for that nozzle to inject the mfd in the time allotted. UNLESS someone has a bunch if bs turned on and its modifying something.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Setting a gate with that much fuel is a different exercise lol. At times it's capable of building more even though the gate is open. I had mine set for 36 with my old injectors. They fueled like 200s though so they were running up to that then there was a fluttering. My new injectors blew right past that 36 and it went to 45 and finally leveled off and dlowly creeps back down. Now it starts to bleed at 32 and at 36 theres a whole mess of goodies going into the ditch.

ja_cain

Reaction score

His idle is ***ked because the pw is too low. Thats kindergarten tuning issues. Bump it up to 2.1 ms and it'd turn into nuclear bomb laid glass. I didnt look at icp because it doesnt matter until.you get enough pw for that nozzle to inject the mfd in the time allotted. UNLESS someone has a bunch if bs turned on and its modifying something.
I couldn't help it and just had to be a smart azz! Lol!

I have no experience with monitoring injection parameters on anything other than stock. It kind of makes sense that bumping pw would dampen the effects of an oscillating icp.

TARM

Reaction score
I'm wondering if some of these high egts are just the result of secondary burn of excessive unburnt fuel in the exhaust manifolds. In other words, it is higher than what the cylinder sees. Definitly not good for the turbo though. If that is the case, then it is most likely due to a lack of air.

Or you cut fuel back some.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Setting a gate with that much fuel is a different exercise lol. At times it's capable of building more even though the gate is open. I had mine set for 36 with my old injectors. They fueled like 200s though so they were running up to that then there was a fluttering. My new injectors blew right past that 36 and it went to 45 and finally leveled off and dlowly creeps back down. Now it starts to bleed at 32 and at 36 theres a whole mess of goodies going into the ditch.
yeah for sure.. if I lock the gate down on mine I can easily hit 40ish lbs.. back pressure sky rockets and it gets hot..

I can dial it down to where it wont even build boost and just smoke like crazy.. lol.. I can set it at whatever psi I want it to open at. but I know if I set it past 36psi, it will slowly build more boost as it pulls harder and harder. to much gate pressure.. so at 34-36 psi is where it is happy.. it will still build to 38psi on long hard pulls on the road but that is it..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score

Mine idles at 1.6ms & 490 ICP with 80% nozzles. You can't really go any lower on the ICP, so wouldn't 2.1ms on 200% nozzles be too much fuel?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Or you cut fuel back some.
Do tuners look at the map readings to help adjust fuel curves (is there a provision for that) or do they just ignore that. It seems like this would be helpful for controlling an overfueling event.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine idles at 1.6ms & 490 ICP with 80% nozzles. You can't really go any lower on the ICP, so wouldn't 2.1ms on 200% nozzles be too much fuel?

None of that appies. An 80% nozzle willidle ok on bad tuning. Everybody gets a sip so nobody is tattling lol. With 200s there might be an established amount of fuel to be injected. Itmight happen before everybody gets fuel and the idm doesn't fire anyother injectors. Got enough fuel already to idle, right?

superpsd

Reaction score
There is low boost fuel maps however I have not had any luck making adjustment to these maps to control fueling. The largest changes in fueling are the PW and ICP maps.

ja_cain

Reaction score
There is low boost fuel maps however I have not had any luck making adjustment to these maps to control fueling. The largest changes in fueling are the PW and ICP maps.
I remember Charles talking about this. I think that was one of the next things he was going to play with.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes some of them do. Many use to not know how to tune with the MAP. I know Matt does .

The other issue is the stock map does not go high enough. You can actually get other MAP sensors from BOSCH that with rate to even 100 psi you can then use a multiple to cut it to half so you are working with a basically a 50 psi sensor which is about ideal for the larger single turbos.

ja_cain

Reaction score
None of that appies. An 80% nozzle willidle ok on bad tuning. Everybody gets a sip so nobody is tattling lol. With 200s there might be an established amount of fuel to be injected. Itmight happen before everybody gets fuel and the idm doesn't fire anyother injectors. Got enough fuel already to idle, right?
Need more time to get the fuel moving? I think that's what you are saying.

superpsd

Reaction score
But that smoke though! I know some have made them run clean, but I don't think I would have the patience to get everything right for a DD.

My daily tune is pulled back but I spent quite a few hours and many different revisions to get it right. I have no smoke even from almost idling to WOT. No tip in smoke and very light smoke lugging it. Less smoke than stock sticks with a tune. PW changes with 200% nozzles are critical to improve drivability and eliminate opacity.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yes some of them do. Many use to not know how to tune with the MAP. I know Matt does .

The other issue is the stock map does not go high enough. You can actually get other MAP sensors from BOSCH that with rate to even 100 psi you can then use a multiple to cut it to half so you are working with a basically a 50 psi sensor which is about ideal for the larger single turbos.

Good info. I knew the stock sensor was limited, but did not know there was multiple that could be manipulated so you could use a sensor with a higher range.

I your comment about Matt using the map for tunning is interesting. My PHP 80dd tune is much more smokey than my GH equivalent. I wonder if PHP tunes off the map?

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Iirc, my fueling is map based. When I tip in, it fuels a little, then more as boost comes up. I was trying to keep the smoke at bay.
Makes sense to do it this way when driving on the street. I love the smell of diesel, but hate smoke. Lol!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do tuners look at the map readings to help adjust fuel curves (is there a provision for that) or do they just ignore that. It seems like this would be helpful for controlling an overfueling event.

Map only reads so high. Some may have used it back in the day.

Countrycar

Reaction score
All that chit and he's running a 38r. Wtf!?!?! Lol! ;)

Yeah I know. It's kinda ridiculous to have a 38r on this build, but I didn't plan on keeping it this way. My plan was just to break it in, put about 10-12k on it, then go to the GTX4294r. Some folks have different ideas on how to, or when an engine is broke in. I chose to put 10-12k on the engine before I really pushed it hard. So here we are, and now the Turbo options have changed as well. So at this point I'm looking for the Turbo that can Maximize my build and still be DD and still Tow decently. This is where as I mentioned before I've talked to Matt/Irate,/Matt GH, Charlie Fish as well as some of you here with real world scenarios with other Turbo options.
Anyhow. As Brad mentioned, we got together yesterday and did some comparisons. We first took a ride in his rig and WOW is all I can say.
1. DD tune; We got on the freeway on ramp and pushed it quick on up to 60mph, then hard on up to 95mph. Very Quiet, I could barely hear the Turbo sing'n. Egts were very good as well. I think Brad recorded this as well. Maybe hit 1150 or so.
2. All out Tune; hammered down from 55-95mph. Man that frick'n turbo hits 40psi twice as fast as my 38r does, and the egts come back down lower and much quicker than my 38r also. I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I honestly didn't expect this. This Turbo is very impressive.
So yes, I do have an idle issue, but it's in my conservative tune. It's pulled way back in order to control the smoke and egt's, so I know it's mostly tuning here. In park, I can snap the throttle in this conservative tune and get almost no smoke at all. This is the tune I smog in, even if the idle rolls a bit. My DD tune idles and drives much more decently. Occasionally it'll romp some, but mostly it idles good. Anyhow, I also have to give a thank you to Brad on here for taking the time to come out and plug his Torque Pro in to my rig and provide me with some very good data as well. Maybe he'll post up a run we did in my Hot Tune from a slight roll, on up to 95 mph+/- see what y'all think..
Also, I had a conversation with Mike and he suggested I back my wastegate off 2 turns to see if this would help with my egts. It did help. When driving up a grade here local to me, before my egts would hit 1150 just cruising up this grade at about 65-70 mph. Normal driving. After backing off the WG, same scenario my egts won't go over 950 +/-. I also noticed that while driving on a flat road/surface and at around 75mph my egts would stay at around 800-900. Well, today I took it out for about a 70 mile drive and on a flat road surface at 70-75mph my egts stayed around 650 on the low end to 750 on the high end. BIG difference by just backing off the wastegate a tad. Thank you as well Mike.

Latest posts

Members online