Another T4 thread

The Brad

Reaction score
I'm confused, thebrad, what turbo are you running? You said above it'll do, now cj says you like it. So all is good?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That was sarcasm! It was your basb thread that made me want to ditch the 38r. This freaking turbo lights way faster than my 38r and sounds better too! I still need to do some towing with it to see how the egts do, but unloaded, I run out of road before I hit 1200. With the 38r, the same run would easily get to 1400#. It's a 364.5/73/.91

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh okay, I overlooked that, I feel dumb...

But yes, I wish I really pushed my parents that route over the 38r now after using the 38r, great improvement over stock, but doesn't live up it rep, not after running a 364 myself anyways. I'd really like to see some of these 38r lovers try one, just to see their reaction after so much time with the 38r

The Brad

Reaction score
I had a different experience. My truck towed better with stock injectors, tuning and stock turbo with a 1.00 ex housing and a wicked wheel than it did with the 38r and hybrids. More fuel doesn't mean crap without more air and the only feedback I got was "don't tow in overdrive" or "you have a boost leak" or "there's something else wrong". I haven't towed yet, so I might be getting ahead of my self, but, unloaded, the difference is HUGE! I tried driving in the rain today and couldn't keep the tires hooked up!

The Brad

Reaction score
So what are the odds that my 3 year old ICP sensor takes a crap 5 days after I've been under the hood? I tried to drive the truck to work this morning and it was running on default ICP values, then no pedal, then died. It started back up and limped home. No oil in the connector, but the ICP/IPR values don't change when I unplug the sensor. Is there a volt/ohm meter test I can use to determine if it's the sensor or the wiring?

TARM

Reaction score
A 38R is awesome as long as there is a gt50 in front of it.:gun:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
A 38R is awesome as long as there is a gt50 in front of it.:gun:

That was my first plan for my 38R. They do seem to make a good high pressure unit. But making the plumbing, and setting them up I felt like there'd be too much truck downtime

TARM

Reaction score
It also makes it very hard to do any other type of work without having to disconnect a bunch of vbands etc. That is the case with all compound setups though. Then again there is nothing out there that gives the same feeling as power curve thru properly setup compounds. My jaw dropped the first time I was ever in diesel with a good setup of compounds.

ja_cain

Reaction score
It also makes it very hard to do any other type of work without having to disconnect a bunch of vbands etc. That is the case with all compound setups though. Then again there is nothing out there that gives the same feeling as power curve thru properly setup compounds. My jaw dropped the first time I was ever in diesel with a good setup of compounds.
It makes me smile to see you posting here. Haven't seen you around for months. Do you think there would be a market for an economical compound setup using a 38r? The only thing I can find these days is from Black Widow for $7500. I'm thinking it would be awesome if I could offer something for $4000 using a 38r or a KC38R turbo. I'm pretty good at tig welding and would just need a motor to mock everything up, then I could develop the fixtures to mass produced them. I hate the fact that my buddies 6.0 excursion has do much power with little to no smoke. I just know a good compound setup and appropriate injectors could put his truck in its place.

TARM

Reaction score
HP then Atmos

Back years ago 38r and 47 was a good combo. Charles ran that and then switched to 38r and 50.

The Brad

Reaction score
HP then Atmos

Back years ago 38r and 47 was a good combo. Charles ran that and then switched to 38r and 50.

Thanks! I had it backwards in my head and couldn't see the benefit of using a drop in unless the exhaust went to the hp first.

On another note, I took a drive over the Cajon Pass (6% grade on Interstate 15) today unloaded. Before, with the 38r, I had to drop to drive to keep temps and smoke down. Today, it was overdrive all the way up. I started at 60mph and rolled into it up to 95 and it was CLEAN and barely broke 1100*. I'm lovin this turbo!

ja_cain

Reaction score
Thanks! I had it backwards in my head and couldn't see the benefit of using a drop in unless the exhaust went to the hp first.

On another note, I took a drive over the Cajon Pass (6% grade on Interstate 15) today unloaded. Before, with the 38r, I had to drop to drive to keep temps and smoke down. Today, it was overdrive all the way up. I started at 60mph and rolled into it up to 95 and it was CLEAN and barely broke 1100*. I'm lovin this turbo!
What tune where you in?

Latest posts

Members online