Baffling no start--

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this forum, I'm on the nation and FTE and joe recommended I stop here. Without all the boring details I did a late 99 swap on my 2000 and can not get this thing going. Ended up taking it to a trusted mechanic so I could get some family time in on leave.

The issue is Icp pressure. At first it was non existant. I tried a working ipr and a cleaned one. We've checked everything, LPOP checks out, injectors are all in secure, put a new ipr on and they got it sputtering and built some more pressure before it died. The injector spouts aren't returning much oil and were all stumped.

Tried 3 Icp sensors, has a new ipr, hpop nut is torqued down, all wires are good, electronically everything checks out. Where is my pressure going, or could the pump just be bad? It was a strong pump prior to the swap.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its not an ICP sensor, even a bad ICP sensor will not cause a no start issue.

I figured it would have been an IPR, but you've gone over that.

Your down to a HPOP. Its rare for them to just go bad like that, but get yourself a loaner or bite the bullet and get a new one. Did your used motor come with one?

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
Yea joe I'm thinking pump at this point, I do have a spare, I'm gonna call them @3 and see if they want me to run it up, I think there down to pulling the pump at this point so if I don't hear anything by 3 ill shoot them a call

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
Well I took the hpop and spare ipr up o them tonight, we tested the ipr's and on wasn't functioning at all and the other wasn't very strong, weak magnetically speaking so I went and bought a brand spankin new one they'll test first thing in the am. We pressure checked both heads and they both held air with no leaks, ruling out o-rings for the most part. Narrows it down to ipr or hpop, will let you all know the verdict.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
It might not hurt to check the IPR electronic connector. The can go bad, they can also go bad inside the sheathing. The constant leaking of hot oil can soften the insulator. If you find it questionable a injector electronic connector will work in its place.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
how much crank time do you have? I have had several 7.3's take as long as 6.0's do... bout 3-4 cranking session @ 30 seconds each

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
We have days of cranking in this thing. We tested the connector, but that's something worth checking out. LPOP is filling the resevoir everytime, just fine. I too have never seen one of these pumps just not work, which brings me to the ipr. I retract my post about them testing a new one, I must have mis heard them on the phone so the new ipr SHOULD do the trick, I hope and pray its either the ipr or pump, if not ill be completely lost.

Arisley

Reaction score
There are two connectors on the harness that are identicle, they will both reach the IPR, the other one is the EBP valve (I think) connector. If mixed up, you will get your exact issues.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Thats the first thing I suggested days ago, does not appear to be the issue.

I thought you installed a new IPR on it?

JDub

Reaction score
There are two connectors on the harness that are identicle, they will both reach the IPR, the other one is the EBP valve (I think) connector. If mixed up, you will get your exact issues.

This was my first thought as well...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
No joe I had used the cleaned one, when I spoke to them yesterday morning they made it out as if they out a new one in it, apparently not the case

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Try sending 12V to the IPR, just ground and to the battery. Use an old injector plug to do this...

That way you can eliminate any electrical issue.

Do not do this for too long or you will cook the IPR, but 10-20 seconds is fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_fnCTKtx8

Thats what we did on this video here.

JohnDeereFarmer

Reaction score
Ill have them check that, I also talked to Dave at swamps, I could have apparently messed up something when swapping my oil cooler over to the motor (had to do this for my motor mounts) apparently there's a valve or something in there that may me stuck open not allowing the LPOP to build enough pressure, just pissing oil back into the pan there double checking LPOP pressure to make sure it's around 60 psi to rule all that out. I've already rented a car to get back so it's on them now ill be leaving tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online