build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

campbellflage

Reaction score
Wanted to gauge you guys opinion. I have also posted this on the org, but doesn't seem to be much going on over there anymore.
So truck is payed off, I have another car if it has to be down for a while.
What should I do, build my 7.3 or trade it for a 6.4? I want to have just an all around fun truck to drive. Daily driver with close to 500hp would be nice.
Truck is a 2000 F350 DRW with 206k on the clock, 38r, 6637 intake, 5 inch exhaust, tw tunes, and some other odds and ends.
So either:
BTS trans $5100
Injectors $2000
pushrods, arp, springs $900
fuel system $1200
live tuning ?
irate turbo mount with S468 $3100
plus odds and ends ?
so about = 12300-15000ish

or trade in for a 6.4
maybe 10k for my truck, +20k loan.. ?

Opinions please, and like I said in the on the org, not happening anytime soon, I have 3 more semesters till I get my BSN, plus a wedding to pay for....

thanks in advance

David N

Reaction score
I'd rather have the 7.3.

I think they are easier to work on, and much cheaper if something major, like a rod, were to let go.

But thats just me. But the 7.3 is gonna be the hard road. LOL

David N

Reaction score
How does your 38r hold up to the 250's?

Its maxed out honestly. If I had to go and do it all over again, I'd go with an S467 though. I believe Jake (at Irate) made the kit.

My 38r runs great, there is just no room for any more gains. Im pretty much maxed out at around 500 hp.

If you're looking to go that route, call Matt at Full Force and see if they will make you a package deal on that turbo kit and a set of injectors. He runs that charger on his truck and can tell you alot more about it than I can.

bruce

Reaction score
The new ones are nice nice, ride good, modern luxuries. I think I'm gonna part mine out and get a 6.4 or just go without a truck.

VanoFord

Reaction score
my uncle had a 6.4 from his work, got let go, and picked up a good deal ona nice 7.3 a few years ago. Then I showed up last month w/ my new 6.4 and he said he is thinking of trading it in for another 6.4, for engine and the creature comforts. just throwin that out there...

campbellflage

Reaction score
my uncle had a 6.4 from his work, got let go, and picked up a good deal ona nice 7.3 a few years ago. Then I showed up last month w/ my new 6.4 and he said he is thinking of trading it in for another 6.4, for engine and the creature comforts. just throwin that out there...

Thats my problem.. I really like the 08 front end, and my interior is tan and I hate it, I want all black. So my 15k plan would jump to like 20k anyways to swap front and interior,not including paint costs... I dont know... It is payed off, and I love the 7.3, but...

bruce

Reaction score
You could step back to a 450 horse truck, keep your 38r, skip the studs and still have a fun truck. Also run the trans until it poops the bed.

davey99ps

Reaction score
You could keep your 38r, do a small set of hybrids, studs, springs, p-rods, BTS valve body, regulated return, get your tunes updated an be pretty close to 500hp for a lot cheaper than what you have added up. You can also save a lot of money by watching the classifieds here an buying used stuff an save even more.

Will it run with a tuned 6.4, no, but you also won't have the truck payments either. It's really up to you, 6.4's are really nice, but I also really like not having a truck payment every month.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would take a 6.4, leave it stock with maybe a DPF delete and drive the piss out of it.

I am tired of working on a truck all the time, a 450-500hp 7.3 is a maintance pig.

A 400-450hp 6.4 will out do everything a 500hp 7.3 will do, and do it quieter, cheaper and without a sore back.

That being said, I love the 7.3, mine and my wifes are paid off, so there not going anywhere any time soon.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I would take a 6.4, leave it stock with maybe a DPF delete and drive the piss out of it.

I am tired of working on a truck all the time, a 450-500hp 7.3 is a maintance pig.

A 400-450hp 6.4 will out do everything a 500hp 7.3 will do, and do it quieter, cheaper and without a sore back.

That being said, I love the 7.3, mine and my wifes are paid off, so there not going anywhere any time soon.

Any 10+ year old high mileage truck is gonna be a maintenence pig. Id pick a 6.4 just so you have something not so wore out.

sent from the rust monster

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Any 10+ year old high mileage truck is gonna be a maintenence pig. Id pick a 6.4 just so you have something not so wore out.

Not really...

Lots of 100-180k 7.3's out there with limited issues.

Most of the things I have to work on have nothing to do with age, but HP.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
My 7.3 was stock besides tune and Intake, and motor wise all it took in 236k miles was glow plugs and a IDM.

The rest of the truck took the beating. Wheel bearing, u joints, tie rods, you name it my truck at it like candy.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
180K aint high miles. Lol

Let me clarify...

You can get a 6.4 with 400hp and have 0 issues at 400hp...

You can get a 7.3 with 400hp and have 1000 issues at 400hp.

The only downside of upgrading to a newer truck is the payment. No payment, its a no brainer.

rascal

Reaction score
I came from a 6.7 PS to my 7.3 and I love my 7.3. Love the fact that I can work on it and no payment.

I also like the fact it is pre-emissions; that way when they start enforcing that stuff here in Texas I won't have to deal with it and my buddies who cut all their stuff off will be scrambling to put it back on.

6.4 is a great motor...7.3 is a legendary motor.

Good luck.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Let me clarify...

You can get a 6.4 with 400hp and have 0 issues at 400hp...

You can get a 7.3 with 400hp and have 1000 issues at 400hp.

The only downside of upgrading to a newer truck is the payment. No payment, its a no brainer.

Ah. 10-4

campbellflage

Reaction score
You could keep your 38r, do a small set of hybrids, studs, springs, p-rods, BTS valve body, regulated return, get your tunes updated an be pretty close to 500hp for a lot cheaper than what you have added up. You can also save a lot of money by watching the classifieds here an buying used stuff an save even more.

Will it run with a tuned 6.4, no, but you also won't have the truck payments either. It's really up to you, 6.4's are really nice, but I also really like not having a truck payment every month.

Stock trans even with my triple disk converter and jw valve body would never last... I agree on the classifieds thoough, but seems like im always a second too late on good deals! or don't have the spare cash at that moment. Not having a truck payment is awesome though

campbellflage

Reaction score
as for maintenence, my truck has never left me stranded. I have replaced stuff here and there but mostly preventative. When I first bought it the calipers were seized but ever since that was straightened out, only other thing was an alt and batteries that had to be done. Yeah I don't have a high hp truck, run tw's daily driver 90% of the time and flip to street tune once in a blue moon (highest tune i have.

I may keep the 38r especially if the dieselsite new wheel makes the backpressure like it did on the stock turbo 1-2-1... crazy, then run it till it is dead.

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
Also remember like someone else said already the government is cracking down on post emissions vehicles. Im glad i never have to worry about a dpf or egr system on my 7.3. Yes eventually they will figure out how to tune good with that stuff still attached. As for sound Im a younger guy and love the sound of a diesel so I dont mind my "noisy" 7.3

Latest posts

Members online