build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

09stroker

Reaction score
6.4 - better brakes, better suspension, better ride, nicer interior, easy to get 500+ HP, trans won't take a **** at that power level.

mandkole

Reaction score
I'm at this very decision right now...I plan to go with the 6.4 simply because I want a newer truck, don't really want a 6.0, and to push the 'easy' button on a herd of 500.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
6.4 for me. I loved my 450 to death and miss it all the time. But after towing heavy with my 6.4 250 a few times, I have fell in love with that truck. Eventhough it doesn't have the stability the 450 did, it pulls the load much better and the EGT's stay in check a lot better. The 450 had 200/100's, moded H2E, BTS, 6.0 intercooler, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps tuning and other goodies. My 6.4 doesn't have the "turn heads" effect the 450 did, but it's my favorite daily driver I've had by far.

And I like 6.4 stuff so much, I'm putting it on my 7.3 race truck! LOL

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing this too. Although im thinking of doing this and skipping ahead to a 6.7. I had a new 6.7 and decided in needed a play toy. So I bought the 7.3 and sold the 6.7. Now I have a 6.4 pulling truck and I want to get rid of the 7.3 and get another 6.7. I think its mainly due to the "truck boredom factor" and the fact that a 6.7 will tow the new pulling truck around much more comfortably.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Go drive a new truck, a 6.4 etc whatever you want, then re-decide. The creature comforts in the new trucks are so much nicer than what we are all used to. I tried to sell my truck because i was set on getting a new truck to leave stock and ride around in.. a buyer came with just under my asking price and i couldn't let it go. Even though i cant get rid of my ol pig i still want me a new truck. My truck was fun as sh!t to drive at 500-550hp though. It MAY be 350 now -_-

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i love my setup!! ive hauled with the 6.4 and drove a 6.7 while on the job with both... both in stock form though so that prolly has a lot to do with why i wouldnt bother with them over my setup thats paid off... also, longevity is more on how its drove... if you drive wot like me all the time then your gonna be workin on it all the time like joe(csipsd) said. plus mine is tore down and getting rebuilt cuz of it too... but i didnt do valve springs or push rods when i should have . all 8 pistons have valve reliefs cut into them now from the valves themselves.

live life full throttle

Last edited:

campbellflage

Reaction score
Im 30, not looking to race off the line at every light, but I would like to have the power when I want it. I really need to go drive a 6.4, never even actually rode in one, but right now I think I am leaning towards building the 7.3, may change after a ride in a newer rig

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im 32. whats age got to do with it? i dont have a close to 500hp truck that im going to pussy foot with.. thats just my way.. im way different then most guys so you and others will drive different than me. if it doesnt hold ill build it till it does like now. needed a tax right off anyway... im just sayin basically what not to do. but i love my setup. im sure if i drove a built 6.4 id say the same as scottie has said... a dually 6.4 tuned to 500hp will prolly be more reliable. but my truck is paid off and i dont need a 30k truck to mod... the way i see it is ill put 30k into my pd off truck.

live life full throttle

GreenMachine

Reaction score
im 32. whats age got to do with it? i dont have a close to 500hp truck that im going to pussy foot with.. thats just my way.. im way different then most guys so you and others will drive different than me. if it doesnt hold ill build it till it does like now. needed a tax right off anyway... im just sayin basically what not to do. but i love my setup. im sure if i drove a built 6.4 id say the same as scottie has said... a dually 6.4 tuned to 500hp will prolly be more reliable. but my truck is paid off and i dont need a 30k truck to mod... the way i see it is ill put 30k into my pd off truck.

live life full throttle

And then you have 30k in a vehicle worth maybe 10k.

That's why I can never bring myself so sink coin into a truck on that scale

campbellflage

Reaction score

live life full throttle

It was more of a explaination of im not going to build a 500hp truck and then drag race all day long, its my daily driver, unless Im in my granny car that i use for long drives (04 tdi)

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've pissed away over 60k on a 500hp 2001 7.3 that I could not sell for 16k...

I'm over building a race truck. I just want a truck I can drive, and not have to carry a tool box full of tools and spare parts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
And then you have 30k in a vehicle worth maybe 10k.

That's why I can never bring myself so sink coin into a truck on that scale

yup. but i would never sell it for that! thats another diff with me, take well more money then i have into it for me to give it up.. also i might only have half that in mods and rebuilding it.

its my dd also.

joe has a good point too.
live life full throttle

Last edited:

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I've pissed away over 60k on a 500hp 2001 7.3 that I could not sell for 16k...

I'm over building a race truck. I just want a truck I can drive, and not have to carry a tool box full of tools and spare parts.

Exactly my point. Kinda why I haven't allowed myself to be bitten by that bug.

A few bolt ons and a nice truck is all I need. As long as she's quick and runs the highway at 80 I'm good.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
When it comes down to it, its usually affordability and can you fix it if it breaks. I was very close to selling my 7.3 thats around 450hp but I decided to keep it and turn it in to a clean street queen later down the road.
I was leaning towards a lariat or harley 6.0 just for how cheap they have become and how much it costs to bulletproof it and modd it to where i want it. If I were you I would hold your cash and see what happens with these EPA nuts.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I own both and theres no way in hell Id throw money at a 7.3 just to make it 450-500 horse. Thats like wiping before you sh!t.
Dont get me wrong, I really like the 7.3 for what I use it for, a beater/work truck. It gets the job done.
Theres just no way Id spend the money on it to make 500hp when I could spend the same and be in a nicer truck.

If you want overall comfort and performance while still keeping it reliable.......tuner, intake, exhaust, egr delete on a 6.4. As long as you keep up with it as you would any other diesel, youll be fine.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd build the 7.3 personally. Throw 05 up axles under it or 4 link air ride. Maybe upgrade seats depending on trim level. Sound deaden the interior to death. Build a nice custom sound system for it. Put a bts/jw full build in with some 250/200s , s468 and all supporting mods and drive the crap out of it. Drop 15k in it and have the same luxury as the newer trucks with good usable power. What luxury do the newer trucks 08-10 have other then seats, maybe climate control and spring setup?

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Latest posts

Members online