Building a 6.4 tow pig

sagebel

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a large toyhaulers and the F250 isn't going to cut it. Looking at 6.4 equipped 350s and 450s. What mods are suggested to make a strong and reliable tow rig out of the 6.4. I know a delete would be in order and I plan on keeping my mini max unless there is a better platform that supports deleting. Trailer will have a GVWR of around 18k.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'd get a towpower atmo(or the compounds), 5in exh, down pipe, no limit ic, pipes and intake, egr delete and a lpfp(fass, airdog, etc). I don't know about trans, so someone else will have to speak for that, but this is how I'd set up a 6.4 450 for towing.

Sent from the Bayou

simonton6.4

Reaction score
I agree with ^ but I would leave the lpfp alone unless u need the power doing a low pressure is just a non reliable mod IMO
Throw a good converter in there

HD F250

Reaction score
Definitely deleted and a quality tow tune at a minimum. Stock fuel mileage and regens are not an option IMHO.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
What about head studs? Sounds like all bolt one so far which is a good thing.

I've read on here that it may not be worth it to stud, since them blowing hgs is more uncommon, and some have blown with studs. Sure, you could stay stock, but adding air and better flow will keep your egts lower. I'd also maybe think about a custom towing tune.

Sent from the Bayou

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
All air... full pipes(delete egr with no limit intakes, down pipe, 4 or 5" exhaust) , ported mani, huge intake, custom tune, maybe intercooler and see how you like it....

From there the options are endless but a 600 EGT running 450-500 hp is a real good running truck.

We'll spend as much of your money as you won't bud!! I think more then a few of us have a dream tow pig build... So maybe your build budget would help..

sagebel

Reaction score
I am still driving the 6.7 F250 and looking for the larger truck. Trailer will gross around 18k. Budget for mods should be about $5000.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
tune all your deletes, CAC/elbow, intake, maybe a bigger atmospheric charger. if your stock gaskets blow, which they shouldn't with a tow file, stud it while you're in there consider doing pistons and an intake manifold.

Sent reeming out the newly rebuilt Clifford

sagebel

Reaction score
Yes, thinking about going from the 6.7 to 6.4. I have no issues with the 6.7 but I can save some $$$$ buying a used 6.4.

Latest posts

Members online