Calling all 400% Nozzle Daily Drivers

V-Ref

Reaction score
At least 10k miles a year....

I'd appreciate hearing from folks that "daily drive" 400% nozzle setups....what if/any towing you've done, cold temp starting/idle quality, and any compromises while DD in the <2500 rpm range.

Purpose of inquiry-next year I'm getting restationed to L48, Unlimited motor is going in with a 4R100 BTS controlled by a PCS replacing the ZF6. Truck will stay a single turbo, with nitrous for the track/sled pull. I have hope live tuning, and by using a responsive/capable single turbo GTX, Bell, this 468 FMW) would make a combo that could still be DD, built then also make big numbers in the "bigger" tunes as well.

A part of me knows better :) as to fool around with making power and daily driving are opposing goals...but alas...the alternative is to grow old and be smart...I'm struggling with both!

TyCorr

Reaction score
468? Lotta fuel for a 68mm wheel. I realize you can tune.that nozzle.to.make 500hp but you can also do that with a small.hybrid and 200% nozzle.

V-Ref

Reaction score
TyCorr...Thanks. Missing the point though....

Would really appreciate feedback from folks that have experience with 400% nozzles on street driven DD/race/pulling setups.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
It sucks. I would never recommend it to anyone who wants to drive it beyond racing and I tried everybody's tuning. Dp-tuner was the only place that could get it somewhat steerable and that was because Zane and Jacob spent a lot of time in the drivers seat and on the phone with Jody

I'd say, 200% and have fun.

V-Ref

Reaction score
It sucks. I would never recommend it to anyone who wants to drive it beyond racing and I tried everybody's tuning. Dp-tuner was the only place that could get it somewhat steerable and that was because Zane and Jacob spent a lot of time in the drivers seat and on the phone with Jody

I'd say, 200% and have fun.

Thanks Steve, just the kind of feedback I'm after.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just a mess. Hazed at idle, smoked at all throttle positions(some worse then others), cold starts were RIDICULOUS. Took atleast 15minutes for the truck to get anywhere near able to move under its own power in the cold weather. It was just a nightmare. Jody pulled a lot of fuel out. Haze was better at idle but the truck was way down on power on the street. Still was easily a 550hp setup in that tune but it never hit as hard as the swamps hot tunes Jonathan through together. Bottom line is that the 400% nozzle loves spray. I doubt a big set of twins even cleans them up. Lotsa fuel

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not to butt in again but 907dave has been dailying 400/400 for a couple years. He also has been tuning them longer than that. Maybe pm him if he doesnt drop in.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
I have not done this myself so take this as you like.

Tuning will be key. Anyone that wants to run 400% should have the tuner in the truck with them.

And believe it or not the injector will play a role in the drivability as well. Surprising to all that not all injectors are built the same. I have been preach this for years and finally some are listening, and learning.

Contact Jonathan at No Limit. He has done tuning for DD 400% nozzles.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Live tuning is in the plan for sure...whether with these 200% or ???% nozzles.

Keep it coming fellas...didn't intend to exclude anyone that hadn't ran em...just want to keep the thread on track.

These 200%'ers have such good manners now...I figure just a bit more oughta be better :shocked:

David N

Reaction score
You need to talk to Brian Jelich.

I've ridden in his truck on the street many times and I'd say it does pretty good. Of course it hazes, but my 200% haze. And I've never really noticed any cold start problems. His will occasionally, but that's because he doesn't have glow plugs.

thuglike

Reaction score
I have not done this myself so take this as you like.

Tuning will be key. Anyone that wants to run 400% should have the tuner in the truck with them.

And believe it or not the injector will play a role in the drivability as well. Surprising to all that not all injectors are built the same. I have been preach this for years and finally some are listening, and learning.

Contact Jonathan at No Limit. He has done tuning for DD 400% nozzles.

THIS!!!!!!

We have tuned alot of 400% nozzles. When your at that nozzle size you are looking for the lesser of all evils..not the best wat to go IMO. Even live tuned a 400% nozzle will announce your approach on the street. For me, if your on the street, a 300/200 is the way to go. You can tune them for street and strip. Tim's 300/200's are some of smoothest, easiest to tune, cleanest we've dialed in. Jonathan runs them in his rig and they are as clean as a whistle on the street.

Your looking for a double duty rig....300/200 (from your builder of choise) and call it a day!!!!

Last edited:

thuglike

Reaction score
...Not to mention I have yet to be impressed by anything running that much fuel.

Keeping in mind my 250/200's laid down over 700 on fuel.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Live tuning is in the plan for sure...whether with these 200% or ???% nozzles.

Keep it coming fellas...didn't intend to exclude anyone that hadn't ran em...just want to keep the thread on track.

These 200%'ers have such good manners now...I figure just a bit more oughta be better :shocked:

200% will do way more then I bet you will ever need on the street. That's a badass nozzle, IMO. I went 400's because I wanted to spray the crank out of the block, I lost interest in a hurry before proceeding.

Take it for what it's worth, but wide open wasn't at sea level. The truck was so much worse at elevation then it was at home. Either way, what a disaster. I'm surprised that the fire department never showed up on cold starts, no bs.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I disagree.

I have a tune that maxes 12psi of boost and lugging at 1800rpm in OD, Manually locking the trans so it will not shift and flooring it will barely smoke. The slightest whisper.

Then I have a tune that maxes around 2.4ms and once the 75 starts moving, it cleans up.

Pulled a car trailer with a family sedan on it in as well.

Provided I dont have 10k on them. But anything is doable.

Your biggest thing will be ditching having someone send you tunes and doing it yourself via minotaur. I believe that is the contributing factor as to why most are against them. And why I can drive mine.

That being said. It is ALOT of fuel. You WILL have hours wrapped up in just getting the truck to idle properly. Then the next day everything can change. And then that night it will change back. My gripe is the inconsistency. You will be scratching your head and kicking your tire some nights. Others will leave you with a sh!t eating grin.

On edit: A 468 will be no means capable of coming close tyo handling the amount of fuel. My 75 has the small 83 exhaust wheel and I believe this is my bottleneck now.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
...Not to mention I have yet to be impressed by anything running that much fuel.

Keeping in mind my 250/200's laid down over 700 on fuel.

And 250/100s and a gqsb laid down 707 backed by 681.... Tell Brian J hes doing it wrong cause he only did 689 with a single charger and 400/400s.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Im under the impression that HP comparisons don't hold much value unless it's a weight verified track time or on a industry verified/trusted dyno.

I don't think the 7.3 community has standardized nozzle vocabulary/specs...so just on that point it'd be tough to compare....

DB....I saw some tables in Minotaur once....I think it best for me to leave the tuning to the pros!

thuglike

Reaction score
And 250/100s and a gqsb laid down 707 backed by 681.... Tell Brian J hes doing it wrong cause he only did 689 with a single charger and 400/400s.

I must of missed the ground breaking performance numbers a 400/400 has done without the aid of a bottle.......
I'm all ears.........

Brian's rig is a runner for sure...an iconic 7.3..BUT.

All the great runs didn't exactly spawn a 400/400 frenzy

IMO..... it's too much fuel for too little gain.

Again, this is all MY opinion..I'm not sayin' people are wrong or right

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
I'd be concerned about the reliability of a 400% nozzle in DD mode and cracking them. That is a lot of combustion cycles on thin material

TyCorr

Reaction score
I must of missed the ground breaking performance numbers a 400/400 has done without the aid of a bottle.......
I'm all ears.........

Brian's rig is a runner for sure...an iconic 7.3..BUT.

All the great runs didn't exactly spawn a 400/400 frenzy

IMO..... it's too much fuel for too little gain.

Again, this is all MY opinion..I'm not sayin' people are wrong or right

Why did you edit that? Your post was honest and accurate!!

I see you went in a totally different direction so I do apologize for bustin your stones but you didnt say anything bad.

thuglike

Reaction score
I didn't want to come off as argumentitive..so I pc'd it a little.

It would be counter productive

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.