carnage! need billet rods

Magnum PD

Reaction score
What does the block look like?

Cobra, why you selling your built motor?

Reaction score
Buy direct from them to save money think I paid $2500 for just rods..

http://rrconnectingrods.com/

I can tell you that you cannot buy direct cheaper than you can buy from a dealer. That's because we buy $10-20,000 worth at a time. I know the owner very well and he does not undercut his dealers. I can however sell them at costs that will match or beat anyone around.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Jeebus...

I'm thinkin there was a bit more fluid in that cylinder than there shoulda been, lol.

obspsd

Reaction score
Well I Got The Motor Torn Apart This Weekend And 5 Of The Rods Were Bent So I Believe I Have AmIssue Besides Rod Failure. Is It Possible For A Injector To overfuel And Try To Hydolock?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well I Got The Motor Torn Apart This Weekend And 5 Of The Rods Were Bent So I Believe I Have AmIssue Besides Rod Failure. Is It Possible For A Injector To overfuel And Try To Hydolock?

Possible. But not likely...

Let's examine this abit closer. Fluid is NOT compressable. Air molecules are. You would have had to made some EXTREME cylinder pressure above and beyond 3500psi in order to start making rods look like bananas in pajamas.

When a reciprocating engine or driving component of ANYsort that is driven from internal compression or used visa versa to move compression and it meets a SOLID object such as fluid... Stuff bends.

In general a broken rod from "too much cylinder pressure" will result in a fatigued failed (metallurgey analysis) and quickly and abruptley shear the rod were it developed a stress riser.. Or "point of initial failure".

Your banana rods! Lol. Are from compressing a solid. Rod failure is most likely NOT your issue here. Keep in mind I'm troubleshooting this from a blackberry!

obspsd

Reaction score
Bananas In Pajamas Haha. I Understand What Your Saying But You Say Its Not Likely An Injector Issue So What Fluid Do You Think could Be My Issue. The Head Gaskets Looked Fine And The Truck Didn't Smoke.

DocBar

Reaction score
Possible. But not likely...

Let's examine this abit closer. Fluid is NOT compressable. Air molecules are. You would have had to made some EXTREME cylinder pressure above and beyond 3500psi in order to start making rods look like bananas in pajamas.

When a reciprocating engine or driving component of ANYsort that is driven from internal compression or used visa versa to move compression and it meets a SOLID object such as fluid... Stuff bends.

In general a broken rod from "too much cylinder pressure" will result in a fatigued failed (metallurgey analysis) and quickly and abruptley shear the rod were it developed a stress riser.. Or "point of initial failure".

Your banana rods! Lol. Are from compressing a solid. Rod failure is most likely NOT your issue here. Keep in mind I'm troubleshooting this from a blackberry!
If an injector hung open and poured fuel into a cylinder, wouldn't that constitute a liquid? Not being a smart ass, just asking a question.

PSDEng

Reaction score
If an injector hung open and poured fuel into a cylinder, wouldn't that constitute a liquid? Not being a smart ass, just asking a question.

Yes you are correct. I think he mistakenly used to word "solid" in place on an incompressible fluid, which would be a liquid, such as fuel. For all intents and purposes though, a liquid (like fuel) in a cylinder would act as a solid....since it's incompressible.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yes you are correct. I think he mistakenly used to word "solid" in place on an incompressible fluid, which would be a liquid, such as fuel. For all intents and purposes though, a liquid (like fuel) in a cylinder would act as a solid....since it's incompressible.
So the OP could have an injector issue that caused this?

obspsd

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I would think it would have to be seriously overfueling to cause that kind of damage. Also he said that 4 others were bent so that would mean 5 total injectors failing at once. Seems unlikely to me.

I could see late/early combustion causing this type of damage. Depending on when ignition happens it could generate enough force to bend a rod i would imagine.

obspsd

Reaction score
I Agree That It's Very Unlikely For 5 Injectors To Be Over Fueling, However I Am Going To Have Them Checked Just To Be Sure. This Isn't The First Time I've Bent A Rod(Third Time) So I'm Not building Another Motor Until I Figure Out What Is Causing This. This Motor Only Had 800 Miles On A Complete Rebuild( Reused Factory Rods Tho) And Hadn't Seen Over 35Psi, So I'm Certain I Have An Issue Besides Weak Rods. Most Of The Rod Bearings Had Noticeable Heavy Wear On The Top Bearing Which I Think Is A Sign Of Premature Detonation?? Could This Be Signs Of Tuning/Timing Issuses?

CATDiezel

Reaction score

yes.. its possible. But the rate of fuel coming through 7 tiny holes at 70psi probably wouldnt be enough to be a compression issue.

Remember this is just airchairengineering troubleshooting! Just being theoretical.

Fatigue fractures and brittle fractures are two different cases and come from two different forms of failure.

Fatigue would come from improper cylinder pressures causing stress risers over time.

Brittle fractures with a shear point and a MAJOR bend would come from some form of a SOLID compression issue with a connecting rod.

The picture (the very best I can tell after enlarging it) shows trails and signs of a brittle fracture with a large shear point.

I can tell you this though about rod bending.... Ironically (speaking of fuel ) alot of bent rods in the engines ive done analysis on in the field have happened at START UP. Could have been from a leaking injector or coolant seeping into the cylinder.

Its not the easiest thing to troubleshoot.... This just seemed like an interesting failure to me so I thought I would throw in my two cents.... FYI-- I would also put some billet rods in just because.!!

Last edited:

obspsd

Reaction score
I'm Going To Billet Rods, I'm Just Trying To Eliminate Any Major Problems I Might Have So I Don't Destroy 3k Rods

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about destroying 3k rods. Brian at BTS split a block in half and reused the rods in a different motor iirc.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be less likely.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about destroying 3k rods. Brian at BTS split a block in half and reused the rods in a different motor iirc.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be less likely.

yeah--
I saw that engine in there shop some years ago... I think that was Cales truck.. cannot remember.

Latest posts

Members online