CDL section?

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Technically you are limited to the GCWR on the truck. Although, most states will allow you to tag the truck for the gvwr of the truck plus the gvwr of the trailer. As long as you aren't over on your tags you shouldn't have any problems.

In your situation, you can tag your rig for 38,300. As long as you are under that and your axle weights are good you will be ok

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Technically you are limited to the GCWR on the truck. Although, most states will allow you to tag the truck for the gvwr of the truck plus the gvwr of the trailer. As long as you aren't over on your tags you shouldn't have any problems.

In your situation, you can tag your rig for 38,300. As long as you are under that and your axle weights are good you will be ok

I am in a similar boat... Only thing that I am weary of, is that the hitch in SDs are only rated for 25 k, so stacking 20 k on a 7 k trailer gets 27 K on the trailer... then a wreck happens.... None of the DOT cops that I asked really had a solid answer for me on that. They are all used to dealing with big rigs, and 80 + K....

I tagged my rigs for 35 K, just to keep on the safe side (max GCWR of 350 DRW is 30 K, 33 K for the 450...), but will, and keep the actual weight under the 30 K mark, but I have a little bit of room to wiggle, if we are a bit heavy...

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
I was aware of the factory spec being under the rating of the trailer as it was already just wanted to know what the rules were without that fact muddying the waters. Been trying to get the bossman to buy an older real truck (Peterbilt, KW, etc) and lowboy but that's just not going to happen he's had one before and wants nothing to do with them any more.

I've found that if you want to know the law regarding something on a truck the worst person to ask is an inspector. Ask 4 of them the same question and you'll get 6 answers.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Corb typically you find fifth wheel ratings higher than gooseneck. Is converting your neck from a ball, to a kingpin, then installing a fifth wheel hitch in your bed not poasible? You'll lose a little of the articulation from the ball, but for a heavy weight scenario, I'd rather have the piece of mind. I have seen the smaller headed 5th wheel plates rated at 35k lbs before.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Corb typically you find fifth wheel ratings higher than gooseneck. Is converting your neck from a ball, to a kingpin, then installing a fifth wheel hitch in your bed not poasible? You'll lose a little of the articulation from the ball, but for a heavy weight scenario, I'd rather have the piece of mind. I have seen the smaller headed 5th wheel plates rated at 35k lbs before.

I looked into it. The hitches for heavy weight 5th wheel hitches are pricey... The 25 K Ford hitch is $1,675...... As opposed to a 30 K turnover ball from B&W at $500.... And, they dont pull all that much better, in my opinion... AND, as you said, I would lose the articulation over big bumps.

Honestly, I have no need to go any heavier than the trailer that I am about to order, which is triple axle single track 8 K rating, 24 K rating for the rig... Any heavier, and I need more truck. The 450 with a 25 K is more than enough for what I am doing, and I stay below the radar under the big rigs... Being licensed for 35 K barely draws any attention for the Corbin Shipping rig... Even though, we fall under the same rules as the big boys...

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Ive gotta start lurking here to learn a little... posting to sub...im workin on my cdl as a Winter project now

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

duddy

Reaction score
I looked into it. The hitches for heavy weight 5th wheel hitches are pricey... The 25 K Ford hitch is $1,675...... As opposed to a 30 K turnover ball from B&W at $500.... And, they dont pull all that much better, in my opinion... AND, as you said, I would lose the articulation over big bumps.

Honestly, I have no need to go any heavier than the trailer that I am about to order, which is triple axle single track 8 K rating, 24 K rating for the rig... Any heavier, and I need more truck. The 450 with a 25 K is more than enough for what I am doing, and I stay below the radar under the big rigs... Being licensed for 35 K barely draws any attention for the Corbin Shipping rig... Even though, we fall under the same rules as the big boys...

Doesn't the classification go to the same as big boys, when you put a dot sticker on? Did not think the weight played a factor in class A or not.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Doesn't the classification go to the same as big boys, when you put a dot sticker on? Did not think the weight played a factor in class A or not.

Yes it does. Still need DOT Safety Inspection Sticker, still need Apportioned plates, IFTA, Class A CDL, log books, Random DOT inspections, etc... But no one is really worried about a 35 k rig, when there are so many 80 k rigs out there... We are small fries in comparison. Especially, non air brakes, non hazmat, non oversized loads, etc...

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
I found that same damn thing..... It is almost as if the WANT you to *** up, so they can bust you for something...

They do. Fines are how they justify their paychecks.

Yes it does. Still need DOT Safety Inspection Sticker, still need Apportioned plates, IFTA, Class A CDL, log books, Random DOT inspections, etc... But no one is really worried about a 35 k rig, when there are so many 80 k rigs out there... We are small fries in comparison. Especially, non air brakes, non hazmat, non oversized loads, etc...

I have the opposite problem. Every swinging dick wants to see my license, med card, log books, IFTA sticker, etc. Luckily for me I usually fall within the 100 air mile exemption so no log books for this guy. Usually.

Then they want to crawl up in the back of the truck and look at the tag on the transfer tank to see how many gallons it holds so they can try to bust me for hauling hazmat.

I've yet to go through a scale where they didn't hold me up and come running out looking for license and med card.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score

Exactly, but Ive been seeing more and more RV haulers getting stopped along the e-way over here in Michigan heading into canada

Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. Every swinging dick wants to see my license, med card, log books, IFTA sticker, etc. Luckily for me I usually fall within the 100 air mile exemption so no log books for this guy. Usually.

Then they want to crawl up in the back of the truck and look at the tag on the transfer tank to see how many gallons it holds so they can try to bust me for hauling hazmat.

I've yet to go through a scale where they didn't hold me up and come running out looking for license and med card.
It is about 80% to 20% if we get pulled for inspections so far. Usually, we are good to go. Missouri, likes to party for a white glove inspection, for about an hour, EVERY ***ING TIME WE CROSS THEIR STATE LINE......
Exactly, but Ive been seeing more and more RV haulers getting stopped along the e-way over here in Michigan heading into canada
If you are hauling your own RV, no need to hit scales, or Class A.... But..... If you are hauling them for a living...... Need to have a CDL, and Commercial insurance.... A lot of them have been flying below the radar, but they are cracking down on that, and once they pull you, and it isnt your RV.... BIG fines....

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
If you are hauling your own RV, no need to hit scales, or Class A.... But..... If you are hauling them for a living...... Need to have a CDL, and Commercial insurance.... A lot of them have been flying below the radar, but they are cracking down on that, and once they pull you, and it isnt your RV.... BIG fines....

Yep, hopefully they start cracking down more.

duddy

Reaction score

Good points, I was just looking load wise. Just from what I noticed, if your equipment looks respectable and in good order, you have less questions come up. Something that I always saw as a plus.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Way off the topic. Corb do you ship vehicles to? If so would you be able to get me a price? PM me for the details if you want. Thanks!

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
Good points, I was just looking load wise. Just from what I noticed, if your equipment looks respectable and in good order, you have less questions come up. Something that I always saw as a plus.

I run in a 2012 F350 dually with a 2013 PJ 25k both are kept spotless and there is never a question about securement.

Still get stopped fairly regularly but they never find violations. It is annoying sitting in a parking lot for an hour every once in a while just for them to find no violations. Sign on the line, drive safe, have a nice day

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I do. Give me a call. PSA gets a better price...

I will have to keep this in mind. I was trying to get prices for my brother. BUT he just went out and bought two plain tickets to fly and then drive it home. I personally think he jumped the gun. Bought two tickets, Two guys will be missing 3 days of work. Plus the fuel to drive it 1800 miles...

Thanks for the reply Corb! But he did not give me enough time.

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
I run in a 2012 F350 dually with a 2013 PJ 25k both are kept spotless and there is never a question about securement.

Still get stopped fairly regularly but they never find violations. It is annoying sitting in a parking lot for an hour every once in a while just for them to find no violations. Sign on the line, drive safe, have a nice day

It's not the truck… It's the driver who looks 16 behind the wheel...

Latest posts

Members online