Changing gear size

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I read and comprehended what you typed just fine. You re-read it.
You stated that UMM...No... on the ass end swaying.
You said that you have never felt that, but above you said it did do it once. No matter of the tires being changed you said you did feel it once. Obviously I did more, again the reason for the dually that I have never felt it in.
Doesnt it really matter how many miles I tow a year. I dont tow for a living only pleasure. I work on rigs close to the house so my travel is short. But still drive on average about 30 a year split between towing and unloaded. Most of the time going out of town the fiver is on the back.

Nope not crumbling man sorry try again. Read what I typed to Charles. Things can occur I never said cant from what I can remember. 275 on an auto can occur, just not too often, congrats on that. One of the other supervisors at work has a Duramax with 320, Farmer mostly and guess what a dually because of the same reasons as mine. But it did take a crap on him and he was actually mad the tranny didnt outlast the engine.

End this crap man. Us three are not going to agree what should be used to pull the weight we do. This is not a test just differences of opinions.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I read and comprehended what you typed just fine. You re-read it.
You stated that UMM...No... on the ass end swaying.
You said that you have never felt that, but above you said it did do it once. No matter of the tires being changed you said you did feel it once. Obviously I did more, again the reason for the dually that I have never felt it in.
Doesnt it really matter how many miles I tow a year. I dont tow for a living only pleasure. I work on rigs close to the house so my travel is short. But still drive on average about 30 a year split between towing and unloaded. Most of the time going out of town the fiver is on the back.

Nope not crumbling man sorry try again. Read what I typed to Charles. Things can occur I never said cant from what I can remember. 275 on an auto can occur, just not too often, congrats on that. One of the other supervisors at work has a Duramax with 320, Farmer mostly and guess what a dually because of the same reasons as mine. But it did take a crap on him and he was actually mad the tranny didnt outlast the engine.

End this crap man. Us three are not going to agree what should be used to pull the weight we do. This is not a test just differences of opinions.

Yeah I could put B rated tires on a ***kin ranger and it'd do the same thing....

Point was Wrangler tires suck...why? They are e rated? Nope thats not why. Although Id like to see how they arrived at the conclusion. They are supposedly the best rating for pulling/towing on a truck but guess what? They arent. Theres plenty of that going around. However, I would have tried different tires in your instance before I went out and bought a different truck. Especially since all the oem did was slap another half set of cheap crappy tires on it. If you cant get something to work? Overcompensate.

I would like you to answer my question about how many miles you're wracking up? i am glad you put 30k on your truck every year. How much is actually towing though? I put 40-50k trailered mile on my dmaxes, another 10-15 on my ford, and probably another ten on my lincoln. I drive a car when Im not towing or hauling something.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have no clue dont keep track. I m on my third set of tires on my toyhauler plus a set on my car trailer, not from weather cracks but from the tread becoming a slick. I have no clue really. Some of those miles on both were from my SRW truck though when I still had it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I didnt have stock tires on my SRW or my dually. I had Toyos on my SRW. There were rated for like 3800# per tire IIRC. The MT in 315/75/16.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
I stopped running the Toyo MT's because they were so squirmy. A good friend of mine put a set on his Dmax about the time I washed my hands with them and could no longer even pull his enclosed trailer at even reasonable speeds.

This goes back to the nature of dual vs single and the combination of single that will beat other combinations of dual.

Four 235mm wide Toyo MT's on the back of a dually would be all over the place compared to two 13.5" wide Mickey Thompson ATZ's on a single rear truck.

Going from a SRW truck running toyo MT's to a DRW truck running say, 4 Michelins on 19.5 rims.... a person unaware of the impact of tire brand, type and sidewall height would come to the conclusion that the DRW configuration incomprehensibly more stable.

For example, we recently put new tires on the back of the 550, some Sumitomo IIRC, and the truck was ALLLLLLL.... OVVVVVER the Road DEAD ASS EMPTY! The first trip with the trailer my passenger had a death grip on the oh-sh*t handle the entire trip down the interstate at a whopping 65mph with the truck fish-tailing all OVER the place uncontrollably. I thought more than once that I wasn't going to get it back straight...... with an EMPTY trailer behind me that gives really good tongue weight even empty.

We took the truck back and they swapped the tires to another brand. Problem went away and the truck is fine now, albeit still not anything to go shouting from the mountains about.

Tire brand, and even certain sizes and ply ratings within each brand make ALL the difference in the world. SRW vs DRW in comparison is basically meaningless except in the case of redundancy afforded by duals.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You do make a good point on tire selection. I had BFG AT in the stock size prior to lifting the truck some and they were alright. I went to BFG Mud Terrains and hated them for the ass end shaking while towing anything heavy. Light loads it was fine. The Toyos I liked and stopped the back and forth stuff but still didnt feel right in corners or high wind with the fiver. A 10,000# tow behind was fine, but is also about 4 ft shorter as a wind wall. The stockers on my dually like I said sucked. I will never own a set of Continental Tires. They didnt stand behind the warranty and they would follow the grooves in the freeway bad.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You do make a good point on tire selection. I had BFG AT in the stock size prior to lifting the truck some and they were alright. I went to BFG Mud Terrains and hated them for the ass end shaking while towing anything heavy. Light loads it was fine. The Toyos I liked and stopped the back and forth stuff but still didnt feel right in corners or high wind with the fiver. A 10,000# tow behind was fine, but is also about 4 ft shorter as a wind wall. The stockers on my dually like I said sucked. I will never own a set of Continental Tires. They didnt stand behind the warranty and they would follow the grooves in the freeway bad.

Its the exact same case I made. You wrote my experience off as bs. Hows this any different?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Ummm...no...

Ive only felt that once. I had goodyear wranglers that were E rated put on my 3/4 ton chevy dmax and it was marshmallowy. Put Michelin LTX a/s on it in E rating and it was gone. Pulled 14k lb trailer and couldnt tell it was back there other than when I turned or saw it in the mirror changing lanes.

Im not saying yours didnt do that, just that IVE NEVER SEEN or FELT that. :shrug: I only tow about 50k miles a year though so I dont have a clue what Im talking about.

Its the exact same case I made. You wrote my experience off as bs. Hows this any different?

That is what you typed. My defense of that was not on tire selection but on that you stated you never felt it when you stated you did. I never stated tires dont help.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That is what you typed. My defense of that was not on tire selection but on that you stated you never felt it when you stated you did. I never stated tires dont help.

Ok,that last one? I was joking. I guess I should have put a HA HA smily face thing in there.

Although, Im sticking to Goodyear Wrangler radials are NOT made for heavy trucks regardless of that E rating. Cant be or they wouldnt do that. Ive heard of Toyos doing the same thing. Some people deny that vehemently though. Ill stick to my MT's. Baja Claws, AT's, Mt's. Never had any trouble with them. Surprisingly, Ive towed about 15k miles of the 25k Ive got on my current set of 37x13.5 Claws and they didnt exhibit any signs of being a bad trailering tires. They are D rated though(3350 each).

Last edited:

Mavericktkw

Reaction score
i have 3.55 gears and want to go to 33in toyo mt tires on the stock 18inch rims, will that be a good combo or to big? sorry if its a stupid question just trying to learn!

sirnunya

Reaction score
i have 3.55 gears and want to go to 33in toyo mt tires on the stock 18inch rims, will that be a good combo or to big? sorry if its a stupid question just trying to learn!

That would be fine. Stock tire size is 275/70-18 which is 33.2in

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.