Changing gear size

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I've bought plenty of gears. Just in numerically lower ratios than what some seem to like. The "feel" is preferential, but being slow is not. Overgeared trucks are slower. Slower to accelerate, obviously slower up top and slower to spool when daily driving empty.

Plus they burn up all the fuel in the surrounding area trying to go down to the grocery store at 2000+rpm.

I know i have an 89 F150 with 33's and 4.10's. Thing would launch like you wouldnt believe, but at about 100 she was screaming, i think with the way i drove it i got about 8 mpg's. I love that truck. Its getting its NHRA goodies soon.

TyCorr

Reaction score
This thread took a bad turn...

If any of you guys ever stop argueing and decide to buy gears ill help you out. LOL

No it didnt!! The truth came out and may help somebody from throwing 4.88's in their truck to find out a week later that the truck blows through its powerband and is huffing and puffing to run 75mph. Efficiency and driveability strangely enough have a synergistic relationship.

The constraints of gearing cant be directly translated to the diesel world. Two totally different animals. Esp, with an automatic. I will say with my fairly nutless, current setup that I could use one size up, a 4.10. But if I do in fact decide to run a wide 35" tire next instead of a 37 again, I dont think the 3.73's will ever feel like too high of a gear. Im going to wait until I get my hpo system reworked and new sticks in to decide if more power alone isnt enough to constitute a higher gear. Im guessing if I get along fine now with 3.73's and a 37" tire with 330hp, Id be fine with the same setup and ~500hp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And for you guys that like Yukon like me. Yukon doesnt make a 4.56 for the front of these trucks, USA Standard does. Yukon jumps 4.30's to 4.88's.

Whats a set of 4.10's looking like for a 3/4 ton superduty? A 2000 4wd. I need a LS setup. Somehting tight like a truetrac. Mine does the 1 tire fire nowadays. Something let go. Price? Front and back obviously.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wow thanks for educating me on going fast and a real truck for towing. Now back to regular scheduled program.

I dont think he's trying to just ***kin ruin your day. I believe he's trying to help you see how things can be done a different way. As I said, other than braking, the true 'tow pigs' are in fact, not. The extra weight is a hindrance, and the gearing is there to make them feel less lardy, but doesnt.

Some people call it help, and how not to rehash past mistakes. But keep on bangin that drum.

cbrown

Reaction score
And for you guys that like Yukon like me. Yukon doesnt make a 4.56 for the front of these trucks, USA Standard does. Yukon jumps 4.30's to 4.88's.

But on USA Standards website, they state "not recomended for use with quiet running vehicles". Is that like saying " were close, but not that close, so they may whine"?

Just doesnt sit right with me haha

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
But on USA Standards website, they state "not recomended for use with quiet running vehicles". Is that like saying " were close, but not that close, so they may whine"?

Just doesnt sit right with me haha

USA's will make gear noise that Yukons wont, thats why i told you just stick with yukons and go 4.30's.

If you put USA's in say an excursion or a car with cabin over the rear axle you would kill yourself. Being in the front of a 7.3 or 6.0 you wouldnt notice it most likely. 6.4 and 6.7 you proly would.

Charles

Reaction score
so at this point i would say 37's is the cut off for 3.73's

charles would you cay

3.73 35-37
4.10 37-39
4:30 39+

Sounds logical to me. My truck felt a little long in the tooth on 37's with the 3.73's. At that point if you do a lot of hwy driving and less heavy towing I would stick with them, as I did. If you do mostly city driving and heavy towing I would tend toward a 4.10 with even a 37.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I didn't know stock was 35"....where did this info come from?

but even if a stock tire was 35"(which I'd still like to see proof).....
FYI, The door sticker shows 275/65R20 as the stock tire on my truck. As you know, that works out to 34.5". Close enough to 35" for this discussions sake.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
FYI, The door sticker shows 275/65R20 as the stock tire on my truck. As you know, that works out to 34.5". Close enough to 35" for this discussions sake.

actually I checked the calculator...it shows your 275/65R20 at 34.07"

.... and the sticker on my 05 says 245/75 17...which is about a 31.5"

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
actually I checked the calculator...it shows your 275/65R20 at 34.07"

.... and the sticker on my 05 says 245/75 17...which is about a 31.5"

Thats still a 35" tire. Toyos are usually a quarter undersized..MT uses similar sizing. Every swamper tire Ive ever used miss the mark by an inch to sometimes and inch and a half. BFG's are notoriously undersized.

I run MT tires because I know what Im getting everytime and they dont cost like a toyo does.

Sorry to interrupt!

TyCorr

Reaction score
A douchebag usually assumes the form of a hair-gelling pretty-boy but can also be described as an overzealous, pompous, or vexatious asshole that most people wish were killed with a Mortal Kombat fatality.

I gotta stop wearing Dippity-Do now? Damnit....

@TeeRoy Simmons-Its nothing near an English education. Facetious or not, that wasnt what that meant...not at all...

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Well I can say Interco is still off the mark when sizing their tires. My 37" M16's are right at 36" brand new.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I've never found a tire that measured what it's advertised as, even on the correct size wheel. My Nitto's are supposed to be 34.5" tall mounted on an 8.5" wide wheel. Mine are mounted on 8" wide wheels and only measure right at 34" with fresh tread.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.