Compound Questions

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a custom compound set up on my truck with one in the valley and the other off to the side and relocate the battery..

My question is what size would you go with as a primary and why, and which as the atmosphere...I want them to be able to clean up 110's

I've thought about the 66...would that be big enough for the primary in a big compound set up that will still be streetable and clean up the fuel?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Are you talkin vgt? A 66 vgt wouldn't be real laggy, and I would think an 88 ish would be a good atmosphere. I know that the max powers clean up 110s pretty nice just to compare.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Are you talkin vgt? A 66 vgt wouldn't be real laggy, and I would think an 88 ish would be a good atmosphere. I know that the max powers clean up 110s pretty nice.

No vgt's...I wanna make the power with something custom, nothing I can just buy and bolt on and I'm really not feeling spending 9000 on turbos

Matt

Reaction score
How much powa are you looking for? Want ball bearing or journal bearing?

Matt

Reaction score
I would probably go with an s366, and a billet s484. Pretty similar sizes to Elite's, but being journal bearing, cheaper. You could go with an s362 or s364, but i've never seen them as cheap as s366s. MPD did an s366/s480 and made 738 with like 17k rail pressure. So I would imagine with a little bigger atmospheric turbo, and holding rail pressure, 800+ would be very doable.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
If your not trying to drive on the street(since your talkng about a 66 primary), get big journals to save cash.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Our 66 batmo and 83 batmo would be a good combo we will have a kit out in about 2 weeks

juniort444e

Reaction score
Do it Josh. Double batmo sounds bada$$. I might go that route for compounds on my truck if its realitively cheap compared to other turbos.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Do you plan on driving the truck on the street still?

I would still do a 64mm turbo or a 63mm secondary

Atmo i would do over 80mm for sure, Lots of options as far as that goes.

You realize just because the secondary is bigger doesnt always mean more power right? It more determines your spool up.

A couple of 1000 hp dodges run a3000/a8000 set ups which is a 57/95ish? combo... just for a reference. SO my vote is pick a turbo that is going to make it fun to drive still otherwise you will begin to hate your truck over time... trust me.

Engineered diesel makes some good atmo turbos, they actually make a nice s478 billet that will outflow a s480 and spool like a smaller s470 so consider that as an option too.

Untill i found my primary i was going to run an 88mm GT47 with a 1.0 housing or a gtx45r with a billet 80mm wheel.

I will say this, there is a reason tadd mounts both turbos in the valley... there is alot of stuff thats off to the side of the engine thats not made for heat, and alot of stuff that has to be modified and moved like a/c lines fender supports, not to mention all the lines hoses ect that need to be protected... just a warning, not trying to steer you away just giving a fair warning.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Do you plan on driving the truck on the street still?

I would still do a 64mm turbo or a 63mm secondary

Atmo i would do over 80mm for sure, Lots of options as far as that goes.

You realize just because the secondary is bigger doesnt always mean more power right? It more determines your spool up.

A couple of 1000 hp dodges run a3000/a8000 set ups which is a 57/95ish? combo... just for a reference. SO my vote is pick a turbo that is going to make it fun to drive still otherwise you will begin to hate your truck over time... trust me.

Engineered diesel makes some good atmo turbos, they actually make a nice s478 billet that will outflow a s480 and spool like a smaller s470 so consider that as an option too.

Untill i found my primary i was going to run an 88mm GT47 with a 1.0 housing or a gtx45r with a billet 80mm wheel.

I will say this, there is a reason tadd mounts both turbos in the valley... there is alot of stuff thats off to the side of the engine thats not made for heat, and alot of stuff that has to be modified and moved like a/c lines fender supports, not to mention all the lines hoses ect that need to be protected... just a warning, not trying to steer you away just giving a fair warning.

i plan on driving it on the street, not really a daily driver, just something fun to have, i wanna be able to spool it so that it doesnt lag and smoke out an intersection from a stop

and ya i want something that makes it fun to drive on the street as well as be able to take it to the track and lay down some good times

if you were doing something that would be a basically fun truck and basically wouldnt tow much of anything what would you recommend dustin?..youve tried more set ups than most people here in the 6.4 world...i basically just wanna build something fun that can still reach good numbers on fuel with a set of 110's and supporting mods

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I was going to run a 62mm because of my altitude just happened some other things worked out so thats why im doing the vgt.

Since your closer to sea level i would do a 64mm... i know im probably going to get flamed but i think in a compound set up i would step down one size from what is working well as a single (mpd 66mm) just because in a twin set up the secondary isnt going to spool as fast as it would as a single, and you doint really need your secondary to make 600hp on its own if you get what im saying.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I was going to run a 62mm because of my altitude just happened some other things worked out so thats why im doing the vgt.

Since your closer to sea level i would do a 64mm... i know im probably going to get flamed but i think in a compound set up i would step down one size from what is working well as a single (mpd 66mm) just because in a twin set up the secondary isnt going to spool as fast as it would as a single, and you doint really need your secondary to make 600hp on its own if you get what im saying.

for the most part i get it...let the small turbo take care of the spool up from the start and then let the big turbo do most of the work up high to move the bigger volume needed

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.