Cracked piston leads to... MPD 472 build :)

jdgleason

Reaction score
I have seen several cracked pistons on here with a bad spray pattern which suggests probably a leaky injector (especially if the other pistons don't have the odd spray patterns). I figure that design of the stock pistons also doesn't help. Maybe since IH pistons seem to be better, they would be able to take more abuse from a leaky injector longer so hopefully you would be having symptoms of the injector issue before the piston cracked. Short of reading the temps in each cylinder, is there any way to prevent the next failure?

I would think cylinder pressures rather than temps would be a better tell tale sign of a problem, or a better factor to control to keep pistons together. Either way, without identifying what the problem is, there's really no way to know what we need to do to prevent it.

Seems as though for right now, with no rhyme or reason to pistons breaking, maybe it's just a crappy cast in come situations?

If that's the case, I would imagine that IH pistons would be a solution.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I would think cylinder pressures rather than temps would be a better tell tale sign of a problem, or a better factor to control to keep pistons together. Either way, without identifying what the problem is, there's really no way to know what we need to do to prevent it.

Seems as though for right now, with no rhyme or reason to pistons breaking, maybe it's just a crappy cast in come situations?

If that's the case, I would imagine that IH pistons would be a solution.

Thanks. I haven't followed everyone cracked piston as close as I am starting to now, but there were a few with different spray patterns, but in your case, it sounds like we can blame it entirely on the piston itself.

Thanks JD. Although it would be nice to be able to identify a trend, at least I know someone who sees more of this than me has been trying look for trends and it is really comforting to know, than any of us might driving a time bomb. :fustrate: I guess I might be adding one more thing to the ever gowing but underfunded truck fund.

04hdfatboy

Reaction score
So if the heads are off for headgaskets how much more is it to replace the pistons?

jdgleason

Reaction score
So if the heads are off for headgaskets how much more is it to replace the pistons?

Depends on who's doing the labor. You'll have to pull the motor, pull the pistons, obviously the cost of the pistons, and I would hone the block (at the very least) get the rotating assembly balanced, and re seal and gasket the motor.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
IH Pistons, RCD push rods and springs. Def feels like a lot of power. When it lights its sick!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What's special about the IH pistons? Sorry for the newb question lol.

BTW, your truck sounds stout! What tunes you do have?

EDIT: I see you got Innovative tunes

MINK

Reaction score
Love the videos - wish I could just decide between the single or a larger atmo...Get that thing on the dyno or to the track!

B585Ford

Reaction score
What's special about the IH pistons? Sorry for the newb question lol.

BTW, your truck sounds stout! What tunes you do have?

EDIT: I see you got Innovative tunes

See the cracked piston thread, there's a lot of good info there.

Latest posts

Members online