Cracked piston leads to... MPD 472 build :)

Wayne

Reaction score
The main critical difference in the IH pistons is the bowl design, although they are a completely different casting. We've seen a handful of cracked pistons, but more often than not the pistons are fine when we do head studs etc. We have yet to see a truck come back with cracked pistons that are either the IH units or stock/ overbore stock that have had the lip removed/reduced. The crack always seems to start on the bowl lip, so when it's reduced that seems to cure it.

A lot of engines we see require overbore pistons. For guys in this situation it's no big deal. We just machine the bowl among all the other internal mods, and away it goes. FWIW, all the engines we build have either IH pistons, or bowl work done on stockers.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I like the exhaust not much better on the trucks with a single. It sounds mean as hell.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
The main critical difference in the IH pistons is the bowl design, although they are a completely different casting. We've seen a handful of cracked pistons, but more often than not the pistons are fine when we do head studs etc. We have yet to see a truck come back with cracked pistons that are either the IH units or stock/ overbore stock that have had the lip removed/reduced. The crack always seems to start on the bowl lip, so when it's reduced that seems to cure it.

A lot of engines we see require overbore pistons. For guys in this situation it's no big deal. We just machine the bowl among all the other internal mods, and away it goes. FWIW, all the engines we build have either IH pistons, or bowl work done on stockers.

That was the only visual difference I could see from the pic was the de-lipped bowl.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Normal drive with Eric's tune he wrote for it.... I love it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yFPh7EYEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lil fly by action ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBp09BttQJk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Good to see people with these single setups posting videos. Looks like there isn't much smoke at all other than when you hammered on it. Stock fuel with that 72mm looks to work great. Sounds mean too.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong when the converter locked with the extreme race. She was SMOKEY if you weren't trying to control it. Once lit it cleaned up as good as the videos, but getting it lit was dirty. The tune Eric wrote is perfect for a single. He pulled some fuel down low so if you want it to light you really gotta put your foot down, I believe with nozzles that wouldnt be the case. But converter locks around 30-35 mph but holds out overdrive until around 60mph. That to me was the best change and where I felt a huge difference in power. When I matted it running like 55 and it lit I could have sworn it picked up 100whp haha. Even my g.f said holy shlt and was reaching for the handle. Not sure what is so different but I told Eric it was really really noticeable. Problem now is Eric wants me to put 100% nozzles in it so by the change of a tune I can go from a daily driving beast to a power making monster lol

B585Ford

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong when the converter locked with the extreme race. She was SMOKEY if you weren't trying to control it. Once lit it cleaned up as good as the videos, but getting it lit was dirty. The tune Eric wrote is perfect for a single. He pulled some fuel down low so if you want it to light you really gotta put your foot down, I believe with nozzles that wouldnt be the case. But converter locks around 30-35 mph but holds out overdrive until around 60mph. That to me was the best change and where I felt a huge difference in power. When I matted it running like 55 and it lit I could have sworn it picked up 100whp haha. Even my g.f said holy shlt and was reaching for the handle. Not sure what is so different but I told Eric it was really really noticeable. Problem now is Eric wants me to put 100% nozzles in it so by the change of a tune I can go from a daily driving beast to a power making monster lol

...why not, you can't take money with you when ya when you go.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Lol not saying its outta the picture! As for in the cab drone around 60mph is pretty loud. But everything you hear in the videos is what I hear. More turbo whistle though obviously I'm a whole lot close to it.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Muffler?!?!... stop it! Lol no in cabs. What do you guys want video wise in cab?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I like vids of the gauges, some doing roll on the throttle type accleration others full bore ect, gauges give you RPM, boost and MPH all at the same time, really gives people a good perspective of how it truely drives.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I had to throw a muffler on mine. I loved the tone but it was too much.....for my wife.

The crackle is what killed it for me, sounded like a damn v10 driving around, a flow thru muffler sounds good kills the crackle but has a good sound to it.

Different strokes for different folks, i do miss the single at idle tho... sounds super tough

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Stop with the quiet talk lol. If I wanted that I woulda let stock turbos haha

pog

Reaction score
i cant make up my mind if i want a muffler or not. both have their benefits. im running matts tune and love it for my single. when i tried erics first with the single, it was just his basic tuning, it fueled way too hard and the throttle was way too jumpy. but you said hes changed that for you? what update do you have on your sct? i could get some vids for you if you want to see how the single acts with 60% tips and II pump (not holding rp though)

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Yeah man. Vids would be cool. What egts you seeing?

Latest posts

Members online