Cracked piston leads to... MPD 472 build :)

B585Ford

Reaction score
So, for someone like me who is planning on doing studs and upgrading the valvetrain should I bite the bullet and go ahead and put in IH pistons at the same time. I don't have any huge plans for the truck like fuel, nozzles....maybe some bling from No Limit.

Good question...about 6 months ago, I would have said No, but sure seems like there is a lot of issues lately. So as to muck up this thread, maybe someone should start a cracked pistons thread.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I disagree... i think the piston design just flat sucks...

Wouldn't you agree that the amount of piston failures compared to the amount of trucks that don't have issues points to it being a very limited issue? I don't think it's tuning related because base tuning is pretty much the same all the way around. It just seems to be more of a freak type issue than anything. Isn't piston failure among commonrails pretty common (Duramax, Cummins, newer PSD's)?

Reaction score
Wouldn't you agree that the amount of piston failures compared to the amount of trucks that don't have issues points to it being a very limited issue? I don't think it's tuning related because base tuning is pretty much the same all the way around. It just seems to be more of a freak type issue than anything. Isn't piston failure among commonrails pretty common (Duramax, Cummins, newer PSD's)?

I think it is more of an issue of how hard and often the truck is subjected to torture and high EGT's. Basically the ones right foot.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
So, for someone like me who is planning on doing studs and upgrading the valvetrain should I bite the bullet and go ahead and put in IH pistons at the same time. I don't have any huge plans for the truck like fuel, nozzles....maybe some bling from No Limit.

In August when I did studs being proactive I woulda said hell no. Then 3 months later paying for a stud job all over again and on top of the motor being pulled.... id say wait til HG are blown and do it ALL

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

09stroker

Reaction score

Well based on the picture it looks like it was spraying a little outside the bowl

jdgleason

Reaction score

If I had a dollar for every common rail dodge I've heard melt pistons... lol

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
So I need some input. Would 60%s run hotter than stock or would they spool the turbo fast enough to keep EGTs in check? Thats the dilemma I'm having right now. Mind you it gets kinda humid here in Maryland in the summer as well.

jdgleason

Reaction score
More fuel is always going to have the potential of running hotter. It will be totally dependent on your tuning. Any way you look at it, I think that 60% and a single will run hotter than stock cruising in a similar tune. I think that would be a better question for who will be tuning the truck.

MINK

Reaction score

Agreed, very common for the cr cummins guys along with the lly/lbz duramax. I have heard of many stock 6.4s cracking a piston aswell. I would say it is a common enough issue that an upgrade would be smart for any 6.4.

Beans71086

Reaction score
glad it back together bud. I'm working on mine now. red trucks cracking pistons unite!

Sent looking at my blown up 6.4

^^ LOL

Travis, if your worried about heat, why not just do 30s? Less heat, less strain on the fuel system, and still balls of power! What's your overall goal, HP or track time wise?

Last edited:

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Just cuz if I'm paying for dual fuelers I want to POWAAA. 30s arent out of the pixture though lol. RED 6.4s, picton cracking beasts 4 life haha

B585Ford

Reaction score
Pretty sure there was an injector failure. Bad injector could have possibly caused that.

I have seen several cracked pistons on here with a bad spray pattern which suggests probably a leaky injector (especially if the other pistons don't have the odd spray patterns). I figure that design of the stock pistons also doesn't help. Maybe since IH pistons seem to be better, they would be able to take more abuse from a leaky injector longer so hopefully you would be having symptoms of the injector issue before the piston cracked. Short of reading the temps in each cylinder, is there any way to prevent the next failure?

09stroker

Reaction score
I have seen several cracked pistons on here with a bad spray pattern which suggests probably a leaky injector (especially if the other pistons don't have the odd spray patterns). I figure that design of the stock pistons also doesn't help. Maybe since IH pistons seem to be better, they would be able to take more abuse from a leaky injector longer so hopefully you would be having symptoms of the injector issue before the piston cracked. Short of reading the temps in each cylinder, is there any way to prevent the next failure?

It would be nice if guys with cracked pistons could tell us if they also had injector problems in those holes

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.