Cracked Piston thread

swinky

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1412605294139.jpg Hate to bump this horrific thread but what do you guys think of this?

Cracked piston in my 6.0. Part of me wants to just pretend I never saw it and run it till it kills itself. Its an 03 motor with a hard life and 225k miles on it. I'll start building a short block for when the time comes. Or go ahead and pay the extra to throw one piston in it, light hone and done.

sootie

Reaction score
View attachment 31253 Hate to bump this horrific thread but what do you guys think of this?

Cracked piston in my 6.0. Part of me wants to just pretend I never saw it and run it till it kills itself. Its an 03 motor with a hard life and 225k miles on it. I'll start building a short block for when the time comes. Or go ahead and pay the extra to throw one piston in it, light hone and done.

this thread is about six fours but anyways-not a good idea to run a known cracked piston. about the least i would do is throw a new stocker in that one hole.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm aware of that. Figured the best experience with this would be here rather than another thread. Threads been dead for over a year anyway

97stoker350

Reaction score
i thinks lots of heat and material that shouldn't have been in there were present in the destruction of this piston. good luck whichever way you go

GotStroke

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412627901.876523.jpg
This is my first cracked piston

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412627939.426469.jpg
This is the second, curious on everyone's opinion.

First was 1,500 after mods in my sig except the exhaust and tuner were already present with an S&B, second came 6K after the first. Same mods in sig. I flip flopped back and forth between H&S 300HD W/ Low Boost fueling on 0 and Gearhead. (<<Dumb i know)

But I've been getting weird file names when loading custom tunes. If i pick one I'm fine the other locks the truck up, which is why i flipped back and forth. Curious if anyone had these issues. Wondering if I might have a software issues causing issues with my files. I've already bought a new card and downloaded the whole SD to it and updated the truck a few months ago. Same story....

GotStroke

Reaction score
Looks like something ended up on the second one, ill have to take a look once I can get to the shop. But just curious on the tuner issues

NathannialD

Reaction score
looks like upgraded springs we have always recommended would have been a good idea seeing the top of the piston in the first pic...

sootie

Reaction score
the stock six four pistons have an inherent design flaw. that is why they crack.

you could get your injectors flowed just to see if they are in good health...

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Yeah like Nathannial said, you would be benefit from a valve train upgrade. Not to say that the pistons are a crap shoot on these things, but valve contact can't help the issues any. And the injectors being flowed wouldn't hut any either. Out of curiousity what pistons cracked? Same one or different ones?

Cknox121

Reaction score
Caught mine before it self destructed. 140k deleted and tuned. Ran a single for a while, then swapped to a 71 atmo running both Gearhead and h&s canned tunes. 2008
bfc31a70d8571af7484761e39ff41605.jpg

Cylinder #1

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.