Creampie Build

521turbo

Reaction score
Kind of sounds like something is rubbing on the frame. I had an oil pan rubbing on the frame and it shook the truck and it got worse with rpm. I wouldn't think the engine would shake the whole truck with rubber motor mounts, even if it was out of balance.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
pulled the rear crank today and with Morgan's help I believe we found the problem.

The rear crank adapter has a dowel hole in it. But there is not a dowel pin on the crank. Some cranks have a hole in them and some do not. Lances did not. The dowel hole on the adapter is suppose to be 180* away from the key way on the crank gear.

Our theory was that when the crank adapter was removed to time the motor it was put on incorrectly causing the flex plate to not be installed correctly.

So to test this theory I had to remove the crank adapter to see the end of the crank and see the crank gear key way. What I found could be our issue.

Here is a diagram that Morgan made to show the proper location of the crank adapter dowel and the crank gear key way. (note the location of the key way and the dowel hole, 180* apart)

image_zps7989a494.jpg

now this is lances motor (note it is 180* off the correct location)

lancenoadapter_zps3fd70135.jpg

this is with the adapter installed to give you a better idea

lanceadapter_zpsc6d38b8e.jpg

Idiesel

Reaction score
When I pulled the adapter on an 05 engine the dowl was inline with the timing mark and two drilled holes on the cam. If you've seen the ford line up tool it's easy to see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I have a junk crank im going to pull the adapter off to double check the correct location of the adapter dowel hole in relation to the crank gear keyway.

Wayne

Reaction score
You may already know this, but when you are reassembling it, you will need new tty bolts. They are the same as the harmonic balancer ones. (Can't order for that spacer plate because ford says to never remove it. If removed, discard entire crankshaft) I use blue loctite. Use same torque specs as harmonic balancer. Throw a dial indicator on, and make sure run-out is .003" or less. Gotta be super clean mounting surfaces. Good luck with the reassembly. I hope it cures your problem. Those flex plates have a lot of certrifugal weight at 4000 rpms :D

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
pulled the rear crank today and with Morgan's help I believe we found the problem.

The rear crank adapter has a dowel hole in it. But there is not a dowel pin on the crank. Some cranks have a hole in them and some do not. Lances did not. The dowel hole on the adapter is suppose to be 180* away from the key way on the crank gear.

Our theory was that when the crank adapter was removed to time the motor it was put on incorrectly causing the flex plate to not be installed correctly.

So to test this theory I had to remove the crank adapter to see the end of the crank and see the crank gear key way. What I found could be our issue.

Here is a diagram that Morgan made to show the proper location of the crank adapter dowel and the crank gear key way. (note the location of the key way and the dowel hole, 180* apart)

nice to have smart people around isnt it !

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We have updated ARP Crank adaptor bolts in stock, stronger than factory and wont twist.

My truck had a nasty vibration to it when my cam was off 1 tooth when we first put one in it back in 2010.

Jared

MorganY

Reaction score
We have updated ARP Crank adaptor bolts in stock, stronger than factory and wont twist.

My truck had a nasty vibration to it when my cam was off 1 tooth when we first put one in it back in 2010.

Jared

The adapter doesn't twist 120 degrees out of position. It can only be mounted in 6 different positions.

< 1 degree under large acceleration isn't going to cause a vibration like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
pulled the adapter off of a junk crank I have here and its 180* off the key way. This one even has the hole in the crank to line up with the hole on the adapter. (unlike lance's) So that just confirms that lance's is 180* off

image_zps27216096.jpg

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Just because I don't want to go back and read. This was running prior to purchase? Did you see it in person, video, 3rd party watch it run?

Not knocking anyone as I don't know where the motor came from. But something doesn't "unbolt and rotate" on it's own.

Hope this gets running soon for ya Lance.

Latest posts

Members online